What's your favorite story from Dubliners?

What's your favorite story from Dubliners?

Other urls found in this thread:

vocaroo.com/i/s0Ks0VhMDn7k
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Ulysses

hard mode: no Araby or the Dead

the one where the young man fucks the girl in the end

The Dead is far beyond any of the other stories but barring that my favorite's probably Counterparts.

A Little Cloud

the pedophile one

lmao whoops meant to reply to

Araby made me dump my girlfriend.

Possibly Two Gallants because of how well Joyce crafts the two characters and how disappointing they are.
Also Eveline because of dense it is in such a small story.

Two Gallants, Counterparts, and A Painful Case are all great. After the race is fun too. The Dead is actually pretty overrated.

Seconded

I always liked the one with the two boys on the shore and the creepy old man shows up. Its just so lovely.

..fat dirty farts came spluttering out of your backside. You had an arse full of farts that night, darling, and I fucked them out of you, big fat fellows, long windy ones, quick little merry cracks and a lot of tiny little naughty farties ending in a long gush from your hole. It is wonderful to fuck a farting woman when every fuck drives one out of her. I think I would know Nora's fart anywhere. I think I could pick hers out in a roomful of farting women. It is a rather girlish noise not like the wet windy fart which I imagine fat wives have. It is sudden and dry and dirty like what a bold girl would let off in fun in a school dormitory at night. I hope Nora will let off no end of her farts in my face so that I may know their smell also.

..fat dirty farts came spluttering out of your backside. You had an arse full of farts that night, darling, and I fucked them out of you, big fat fellows, long windy ones, quick little merry cracks and a lot of tiny little naughty farties ending in a long gush from your hole. It is wonderful to fuck a farting woman when every fuck drives one out of her. I think I would know Nora's fart anywhere. I think I could pick hers out in a roomful of farting women. It is a rather girlish noise not like the wet windy fart which I imagine fat wives have. It is sudden and dry and dirty like what a bold girl would let off in fun in a school dormitory at night. I hope Nora will let off no end of her farts in my face so that I may know their smell also.

PURE ART

Y'all do know it's a novel?

You do know you're a pedant?

>Gazing up into the darkness I saw myself as a creature driven and derided by vanity; and my eyes burned with anguish and anger.

They're all shit, sorry.

An Encounter is the best senpai

Because you realized you had idealized her?

yo i like to read finnwake aloud
vocaroo.com/i/s0Ks0VhMDn7k

i agree

only patrician itt

Americans shouldn't be allowed to read Finnegans Wake

Why don't you call the cops, m8

The Dead
Although I did like the one with the two boys and the man waiting for his friend and his date.

Clay.

I'd say Araby, but if I had to choose another it'd be Eveline.

LOOK MUM HE POSTED IT AGAIN

"All the seas of the world tumbled about her heart. He was drawing her into them: he would drown her."

Eveline

Started this today. Is it getting good at some point?

I was really bored by quite a few of them on my first read, but I was coming in to them expecting amazing, embellished prose. The prose in these stories is pretty good, but it's a lot more understated than Joyce's later works.

If you're after something more stylistically interesting, I actually recommend reading A Portrait and then Dubliners. For some reason, I was only able to appreciate Dubliners after I'd read Portrait.

Also, a lot of the stories (Eveline in particular) seem to consist of several pages of buildup then like 1 paragraph where everything climaxes all at once, at which point the story ends. It's a little weird but you learn to appreciate it.

No love for a Painful Case?

Dubliners thread and not even one dubs.

nice one :)

My favourites are The Dead and Counterparts
great taste, friend
I really liked this one as well

Eveline (or The Dead, of course)

How fucking plebeian can one man be?

The recurring theme and main focus of the collection is the idea of "epiphanies".

LOVE Eveline thank you

Eveline

Joyce is such a master of rythm.

"She stood up in a sudden impulse of terror. Escape! She must escape! Frank would save her. He would give her life, perhaps love, too. But she wanted to live. Why should she be unhappy? She had a right to happiness. Frank would take her in his arms, fold her in his arms. He would save her."

Should I read all the stories continuously like a novel or break it up over time?

novel. it's a fucking novel.

>yfw plebs will try to treat this as a short story collection

read them continuously, they are all strongly connected by their themes

Yeah epiphany is the word I was looking for, thanks

It's A Painful Case. Veeky Forums: the short story.

The Dead is sublime.

Eveline

Other than the obvious it's got to be A Little Cloud.