Why writers suffer depression and are suicidal, Veeky Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=S6vTI5g198E
youtube.com/watch?v=qDii69YCh_Q
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

there was a study released on this either last year or the year before concluding that about 85% of it has to do with the smell of paper and ink. apparently the brain doesn't know how to process them very well because they are so unnatural and that's why depression has only really started to become a problem in western society since the invention of the printing press

That sounds fucking dumb, show me the source of that gay ass study

top kek

Because those inspired to write are vulnerable. Emotionally complacent to understand either all sides of life or shut in and devolved unto a manifesto. What other prefession requires the lonely path of introspection while tapping into social behavior? I think that's the worst part about wanting to be a recognized writer, there's a blatant end to it all. Romanticize all you want, but this desire to understand all the nuances of human behavior leads to an apathy of self.

What a load of bull. Why arent other people regularly exposed to it depressed? Bank clerks and that sort?

Bank clerks are actually the fourth highest cohort with depressive tendencies, user. Haven't you read Kafka or been to a bank.

I've heard it has to do with the nature of processing type and typology, rather than simply the smell of paper and ink. It's why we almost always have a greater body of written evidence for depressive tendencies among those who write.

is that prince or mj?

That's from the Thriller video, user.

ayyyu

This is interesting, please link the paper

He'd link you the paper but he smelled it and asphyxiated himself

Maybe he printed a copy for himself, had a cartridge malfunction and inhaled a lethal dose of ink.

Why the fuck does Hemingway look like John Green

Because depressed people are more likely to be writers.

I think it might actually have to do with Durkheim's theory of suicide.
I know this might sound so "le edgy special snowflake kid who thinks to be better than the others", but due to their sensitivity and generally great analysis skills many writers aren't completely able to feel accepted in social groups, so they keep isolating themselves and tend to get depressed.

because writing is useless and they know it

Because lonely people write. Not the other way around. They were miserable so they took seriously the craft. Not the other way around.

Disregard the faggots that write YA or books for kids.

Poppy toast masterrace.

You also have to account for why places like /r9k/ are utter intellectual wastelands despite being filled with some of the most lonely, dejected people out there

Likely the cause goes both back and forth, or some third quantity causes both in parallel.

>utter intellectual wastelands

stop tipping your fedora you pathetic subhuman filth

Yeah, as I said. You also have to take seriously the craft. And spending so much time on this Chinese cartoon board is the best example of what NOT to do.

words live beyond time. the truest words will never die. man in all his knowledge is subject to words and their intent, as man understands them and their meaning pervades them unrelentingly.

Dude what

from top going to the right

i am
i wont be
they cant be
they wont be

Isn't it though?
/r9k/ is the most unproductive, useless manifestation of discontent out there. It's a case study in Nietzsche's wounded pride vs wounded vanity

>You also have to take seriously the craft.
Yes, what I'm saying is how seriously you take writing is not independent of your lived experiences, for better or worse
youtube.com/watch?v=S6vTI5g198E

>not revelling in it

Altruistic: "Allahu Akbar!"
Egoistic: Eliot Rodger
Fatalistic: Sudoku
Anomic: Holden Caulfield

Did Texas actually kill himself? I don't remember.

/r9k/ stands at the point between life and death

While they are all miserable and hopeless they continue to live even if they would rather otherwise. They see their problems as things placed upon them by those they trusted the most. They are the sense of helplessness that inhibits and restricts people, despite all logical thoughts. To say /r9k/ is pathetic is to say "I have never felt a sense of sorrow, and for that I am happy." While you believe that you are speaking the truth it is a case of meaningless truth. They are pathetic because they can not see a reason to be happy, but we are pathetic for being unable to give them a reason to be happy.

They sit there and they make fists hoping to punch the world, yet all they do is hurt themselves when they see its reflection.

>we are pathetic for being unable to give them a reason to be happy.
I agree completely. It points to serious moral and intellectual rot at the heart of our society.
>it is a case of meaningless truth
This too. Their lack of our sort of "achievement" in harsh circumstances is a superficial observation. That some pains can go too far and debilitate rather than motivate is trivial, but the real issue of sorting them out is almost too complex.
Whiplash was all about making sacrifices, even of one's humanity, even that of others, to attain an ill-defined greatness. I feel it's quite relevant to this matter

Might it be that writers have an interest in trying to be remembered because they realize in the long run they too, like everyone else, will be forgotten in the sands of time and this alone depresses them?

Close your eyes Veeky Forums and imagine just for a few seconds that the current book you are writing actually gets finished and published.
By some wonder it lands on Time Magazine's All-Time 100 Novels of 2016.

Hordes of fans are waiting in line for more then three years just to have the chance you ask the author of their favorite novel a question. Then it happens, a two-hundred kilo Land-whale rolls her scooter up to the microphone and with a big meaty hand reaches for the microphone. After recovering from difficult task of raising her arm, she squeals into the microphone;

>"After reading your novel for the fifth time with my Tumblr book club, we think to have figured out what the sexual orientation of the main character is."

You raise your eyebrow in confusion since it you have clearly stated in a few chapters that the main character was just a straight male.

> "Is it or isn't it true that Xer is a Trans-Demi sexual Panda-kin that is only interested in Asexual gender queer wolf-kin?"

The only sound that is heard beside the heavy breathing of the whale while she catches her breath again is the soft click of the pistol you always carry around as you put it against the side of your head.

>Whiplash
Not that user but I enjoyed that movie very much, still don't understand how I am supposed to take it, from one side you have that gifted student who killed himself, on the other you have someone who actually went ahead.

>it is a case of meaningless truth
>it is a case of something having no truth-value but also having a truth-value
That's kind of an oxymoron at best and a contradiction at worst.

That is the point of the original comment, my dear user.

Well, you should link the guy I quoted who said it.
But "meaningless" here obviously means "inconsequential" or "insignificant" or "trivial," not actually that the assertion is not an assertion.
>oxymoron at best and a contradiction at worst
Am I being trolled?

could you explain fatalistic and anomic (i'm not american so i haven't read the catcher in the rye yet) in other words pls

This is my biggest fear. If what I write gets published and my fans are crowds of tumblrites who give my book unorthodox sexual qualities that I never wrote into the book in the first place.

Hmmm..... Holden didn't kill himself did he? I thought he just got himself put into an insane asylum?

What you say makes sense, but I am skeptical.

if you care about such things you shouldn't be a writer in the first place tbqhwymf

Maybe is not depression, but they just find out that suicide is a rational, intelligent move.

Isnt it common sense that more intelligent, creative, emotional, and artistic people are generally more sad?

Ive met many people, either highly intelligent or incredibly artistic that suffer from depression. And I think it just has to do with not viewing the world at face value. For lack of better words, youre not a normie that settles down, gets a 9-5 and excepts that as life.
You think about life and what it means, you get no answers, you try to create or write to express yourself, a good majority wont understand, which leads to depression. Or they like it but still dont understand, making the creator question even more because how in the world are these boring normal people going to relate to your inner fears.

No u, pussy.

Fatalistic is from excessively controlling conditions/surroundings. Anomic is from excessively uncontrolling ones. You have barriers in the way of purpose at one end and a lack of purpose at the other

No, but he's a good example. His directionless, inconsequential wandering and simple desire to help others which cannot find form or expression give a good illustration.

Yeah, I can agree with using Holden as an anomic example now that I see your full point.

>Isnt it common sense that more intelligent, creative, emotional, and artistic people are generally more sad?
I like that Kant justified this by giving you God as the prize at the end of the road, but then what about agnostic and atheists?
A philosophy teacher of mine did not agree though, rather it was virtue that gave happyness.

This is bullshit, but I believe it

A lot of people take up art because they have an overabundance of something and feel like they need to express it. Writing is a strange combination of analysis and creativity, which which are, I think, the same process going in different directions, but the point is that if you're analytical, you're going to see horribe things and if you're creative, you're going to think of terrible things. Sometimes I feel like it's just a lack of control over these two things. Although, there's always mental illness.

Writing is unrewarding as fuck. With media you put perhaps even more effort, but at the end of the day you have something to show for yourself. With writing you only have a bunch of words, ain't nobody gonna care about you because you "write well".

Writer writes because he tries to breach barriers of human communication.
It's no wonder, then, that many think they fail - even if, from our viewpoint, they suceed - and, witnessing the world where finding kin conscience is impossible, they off themselves.

le dfw faec

but what about Goethe?
And what about tinychat / 4chanlit?

This whole "writers are depressed and completely fucked in their personal lives" is pretty new, to be completely honest. It more or less starts in the 20th century.

From Homer all the way up until Tolstoy, most writers had fairly successful careers and lives inside and outside of writing.

I think the switch probably happens around Dostoevsky, with Notes from the Underground starting the whole "writers writing about being a writer-type", because the guy in Notes isn't a career writer, but it starts the romanticization of the writer-type.

>From Homer all the way up until Tolstoy, most writers had fairly successful careers and lives inside and outside of writing.

>Tolstoy

Why would writers that mainly use a computer still be depressed then?

Oh yeah because they likely browse the internet during breaks of writing. nvm answered my own question

They live in a world intimately connected to that which they write for and about yet they themselves feel disconnected, and apart from the world since they're constantly thinking about it as though they're watching it. The solidarity and steady observation begins to slowly take hold of their minds and they realize that they've desensitized themselves from their modern worldly life. Eventually they become trapped within their mind and their own world. Where those who do it, collapse on themselves, and either kill themselves or go mad.

a good theory, but you get a little stupid towards the end.

In this case, writers would fall under the egoistic suicide.

The egoistic suicide applies to people increasingly detached from the world. they don't have the same goals, norms, values, interests, etc.. As a result, they receive little support from their peers or people they care about, both emotionally and socially.

Writers are not necessarily this detached from society. Usually, they are well adapted and hold mostly the same goals and morals as their peers.

But i do believe they are detached in much the same way that suggested.

They gain a deeper understanding of people in general. In return, this makes it difficult to form relationships with most people because most people take the world at face value. They don't have a set image of themselves because they are always observing how other people act and changing their behavior because they are constantly learning about people.

But now that i think about it, i just described borderline personality disorder. Maybe i have that. don't listen to me

>From Homer all the way up until Tolstoy, most writers had fairly successful careers and lives inside and outside of writing.

youtube.com/watch?v=qDii69YCh_Q