Do you consider graphic novels as actual literature? Why? Pic related

Do you consider graphic novels as actual literature? Why? Pic related.

One of the worst posts I've ever seen here.

No.
Because they are comic books, which is not a book.
It's like asking if cinema is literature, because it has a written script.
Are there good comics? Yes. Are there comics that parallel the best literature has to offer? No.

> comic book
> not a book

you must be pretty new

Watchmen has the depth of a Dostoevsky novel.

>Are there good comics?
No

Maybe his worst, like Poor folk.
Book includes philosophy, history, science and everything else basically, none of which are literature.

This. Just finished Watchmen last week. It's definitely just as good (if not better) than most books out there on the market.

That doesn't make it literature

This kind of thread should be explicitly forbidden. I read comics as much as literature, but this shit is fucking annoying.

/thread

Do you consider paintings as actual literature? Why? Pic related.

Yet there are threads here about philosophy and nobody complains.
And I used the term graphic novel not comic book.

This is probably bait, some dude over in /co/ has been posting that he hated Black Hole, therefore the whole medium is shit. Ignore and move on.

Graphic novels are comic books that don't want to be called comic books.
It's like anime and cartoons.

Yes. Movies, plays and poetry as well.

Graphic novels don't have to classified comics - which is why a distinction is made between the two. Graphic novels can also be comics but don't have to be.

Cinema is literature you twat...

You can't just change the meaning of words at your whim. Words carry meaning decided by a majority and no amount of stipulative, lazy, personal definition will change that.

This thread: people who do not understand the definition of literature

>No.
>Because they are books, which is not a book.

I guess literature has more to do with imagination. Imagining the characters, the environment, etc. Meanwhile, in a comic book or in a movie everything's already done for you. There's no other way besides the director's vision. That's why comic books and movies ain't literature.

It's quite obvious that I used the wrong word from the context of the next sentence.
Literature is a written (so not drawn or filmed or composed) work of fiction that is considered to be high art. It's the common definition.
It's people who want their hobbies to be more patrician for whatever reason.

I don't go to /co/. It's filled with children talking about capeshit. It has very few place for mature and deep works like Black Hole which I loved every page of it.

I complain about the philosophy threads, tell the people who post them to go to Veeky Forums, and I even report them.

It's especially funny because 'anime' is the term that respectable Japanese animators want to distance themselves from because it denotes genre trash

(there are a few exceptions of course, but even Hayao Miyazaki has said as much)

Then you should be permabanned for abusing the reporting system.

No, it's a different medium dumbass.

>Yes. Are there comics that parallel the best literature has to offer?
Well, it's hard to compare. Are there films that are as artistically good as the best of literature? There's less scope for plot or dialogue complexity due to length and not being able to go back to previous sections like a book, but the visual and auditory elements of film mean it's something else altogether.

There's a few comics like Dropsie Avenue which are very sophisticated and I would include as high art.

What? Graphic novels are book-length comics, how are they different?

I'm new here is this a meme?

"Graphic novels" is purely a term used by autist who are embarressed by the connotions associated with the word "comic". It was originally a publishing term to differentiate between a Trade paperback serialisation (the most common format) and a single contained novel length publication. In that sense, Watchman is not a graphic novel, since it was serialised into TPB

The definition disagrees with you, as cinema, plays etc. are written first and performed second.

At any rate if you don't believe me, check out Wikipedia or any university course in literature studies.

You should be permabanned for not knowing that all philosophy threads go on Veeky Forums.

Do people other than sad manchildren read comics/"graphic novels" anymore?

Check the sticky, asshat:

"Philosophical discussion can go on either Veeky Forums or Veeky Forums, but ideally those discussions of philosophy that take place on Veeky Forums should be based around specific philosophical works to which posters can refer."

Now kill yourself.

Well most comics have scripts before they're penned and drawn, I guess that makes them literature?

>he thinks black hole and watchmen are good comic book works
s m h

>he unironically reads comic books for the plots

Yes.

>he wholeheartedly believes that the art is secondary to the writing in a comic book

I've been looking for this for ages, thanks user

Yes. Not all. Most are trash that lean on and depend on emotional story telling, which Veeky Forums does not approve of because >muh prose

Graphic novels are not meant for lengthy, flowery verses. It's hard to have Veeky Forums GN because of this. I love V for Vendetta (inb4 fedora jokes) but it made for a terrible GN because of its giant text bubbles. Most native GN fans would be discouraged just flip pig through a few pages. If the art is up to par with the writing, maybe you'll have a decent time enjoying a decent GN.

Protip: never ask a board about anything other than its topic. Most people who frequent a single board are very narrow-minded and will say that only the thing they like deserves respect.

That rule needs to be changed, as we presumably aren't supposed to talk about, say, science or history on Veeky Forums, and philosophy shouldn't be an exception to this. Also you shouldn't tell people to kill themselves.

>Also you shouldn't tell people to kill themselves.
Stop philosophizing on Veeky Forums, hypocrite.

Everything Chris Ware writes feels literary to me. Same thing with Daniel Clowes or Adrian Tomine

>the rules set by the autist moderators of this anime forum must be strictly enforced