So what's the no bullshit truth to preparing dried beans?

so what's the no bullshit truth to preparing dried beans?

soak and dump water, don't soak, soak but cook in the soaking liquid, salt the soaking liquid, salt the cooking liquid, add a bit of baking soda

harold mcgee has recommended both brine > drain and rinse > cook in salted water, and just cooking the beans in non salted soaking water

everyone always says you should throw out the soaking water because of the oligosaccharides that cause gas, which is fine, but tons of people also make the claim that soaking and discarding the water removes the oh so evil "toxins" which are most likely phytohaemagglutinin which are eliminated by 10-30 minutes of boiling.

if the people recommending discarding the soaking liquid are basing their recommendation off of the pha, and not slightly reducing gassiness, then it should be safe to skip that step, but that still leaves tons of variables

Other urls found in this thread:

lifehacker.com/5906564/brine-beans-for-the-best-possible-flavor-and-texture
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

The real no bullshit method is buying canned instead

Soak on fresh water overnight, dump water, cook in salted fresh water, preferably on a pressure cooker

Carefully sort beans for rocks/nasty beans. Rinse 3 times, then soak in salted water for 12 hours room temp.

Then pour beans and water into pressure cooker and cook for however long it takes, usually between 3-5 minutes.

I dump the water and store my beans in mason jars in the fridge.

Non-Mex beaner here (not all people who eat beans are Mexican or Hispanic). I go through about 25lbs of beans on my own per year.

The only dried bean or bean-like food I've ever soaked are chickpeas. They're soaked in bicarb-spiked water until they split, at least four hours, though often double that. Then drained, rinsed and cooked in unsalted water until just done.
All other beans and bean-like things get cooked in unsalted water without any soak at all.

Why salted water?

I soak in hot water for 8 to 12 hours after washing. Then pressure cook at the automatic setting. The beans split open, but i usually make refried beans anyway.

Ok, here's the real deal. I fix dry beans at least once a week. My family calls me the Bean Queen (I garden and grow a lot of beans too).

- Make sure your beans are fresh. If you see many split beans in the bag they are old.

- Buy good beans. Not all beans are the same, don't go cheap. My favorite source is Rancho Gordo.

- Remember that dry beans are living seeds. Treat them as such and you will get the best results.

- Soak your beans in cold water. Cold water has more oxygen in it. Seeds need oxygen to wake up and take up water.

- Soak your beans until they are fully hydrated. That can take anywhere from 12- 24 hrs. Change the water as it becomes cloudy.

- Sprouting your beans results in a chemical change within the bean that makes them creamier. I soak my beans just until they have a little rootlet poking out. That takes about 36 hrs.

- Cook your beans in water or unsalted stock. Salt and acid cause the skins to get tough, so add those at the end.

I don't soak my beans in brine because that's not how you hydrate living seeds.
I don't add baking soda because it's not necessary and it tastes like shit.

salt softens the skins so they don't burst. The more salt you put in, the less chewy the skins become.

I like chewy skins because it gives pinto beans a meaty texture, so I only add a small amount of salt to the beans.

i also think the salt prevents the beans from absorbing too much water via osmosis, which also reduces swelling and thus bursting.

>bean queen
So you're a gay white man who only dates 'spanics?

No I'm a white chick. I'm also a homemaker; so I cook almost every day, 2-3 meals a day.

Are you overweight?

Beans burst when they are cooked at too high a temperature. It has nothing to do with how much water is absorbed. I've forgotten soaking beans (well, husband forgot) and they sprouted, and they cooked up fine without splitting.

ATK explains why: lifehacker.com/5906564/brine-beans-for-the-best-possible-flavor-and-texture

Meh. I could loose a few pounds. But I'm not fat.
5'4", 145

Why?

I want my beans to sprout. Salt would inhibit that.
I would like to see an ATK comparison of beans that are sprouted and those that are not.

there is a max amount of water they can absorb, salt reduces the max amount. I think anyway. I've tested this.

I once put a load of salt in a batch of beans and cooked it. Very few beans burst, but the skins were so soft and unappetizing, like canned beans. I love chewy skins!

Chewy skins are disgusting. I like my beans creamy and soft. Especially pintos.

>salt softens the skins so they don't burst. The more salt you put in, the less chewy the skins become.
Except I always hear the opposite. That you shouldn't add salt until near the end or else the skin becomes tough.

> 5'4", 145 lbs
> not fat

I read an article that showed that women who are housewives are much more likely to be overweight than their working counterparts.

It's because the working woman has to look "thin and hot" because she's in society and society demands that she be "thin and hot." Whereas a housewife doesn't answer to society anymore, so they let themselves go. In theory, they should look "thin and hot" for their husbands, but it doesn't happen in real life.

I'm a pretty active person. Being a homemaker means I have time for hiking and biking. I also have time to tend a garden and do a lot of cooking. So most of the meals I serve are from scratch or close to it.

No microwave meals or fast food in my house!

You don't need as many meals as you are cooking

Also, my Dr says that my ideal weight is 140-150. I weighed 130 in high school, which was about 20 years ago.

But if it makes you feel better to think of me as a fatty, go ahead.

> tfw you marry a lightly chubby qt in high school
> 15 years later, she balloons and refuses to lose weight

I cook for myself and my husband. We have different tastes and different nutritional needs, so I usually end up cooking two dinners in the evening. I also cook my own breakfast, and usually cook hubby something to take for lunch all week.

So no; I don't cook too many meals in a day.

>tfw you think it's clever to call a stranger on the internet fat
Have fun with that.

You're cooking enough to be 145 lbs. You only need to cook enough to be 115 lbs.
Honestly, you'd be better off if you cooked less.

>>Veeky Forums if you want to berate people for their weight. seems nice.

Then again you're probably a DYEL spooky skelly

Thank you.
Funny how no one has asked me how active I am, only how much I weigh.

> nice
it could be worse.

2 ways here, both are approved by my Costa Rican in-laws:
1) soak in water, dump water, boil in a pot
2) pressure cook the dry beans for ~30-50 min depending on what they're being used for in water, season afterwards and simmer for penetration.

Nigga you added 9lbs onto that.

not

Very informative. Upvoted!

Just soak them in fresh water overnight, what is the problem here?

most of that advice is bullcrap.

My method,
Sort the beans, because I've bitten down on rocks before.
Rinse the beans a bunch because they are freaking dirty.
Let them soak overnight or 6 hours for a pressure cooker.
Might as well use the water they soaked in, because the oligos gonna get you either way.
Use a pressure cooker, it is way faster! (If no pressure cooker, be sure they come to a boil for ten minutes so you don't kill yourself.)
Add salt at the end, it seems to make them take longer to cook. (But don't forget! Your beans will be soooo bland!)

For Mexican beans, grind up some chipotle for spice and smokiness. towards the end, to not overlook them, add poblanos so you still have a fresh pepper flavor. Other spices are up to you, probably like cumin, bay, oregano. If you want them creamier just add a bunch of cheese. There is probably a better healthier way, but I really like cheese.

Thank you based Bean Queen.

You're welcom!

i eat a huge pot of lima beans seasoned with bacon grease abot once a week when im drinking, i like to sit around drinken and fartin all nite and i laff my butt off at all the farts lmao :D

believing the 'one size fits all' bmi machine

ookay, buddy...