Just bought this, I've heard it is one of the no nonsense self-help books. Have you read it and what was your opinion?

Just bought this, I've heard it is one of the no nonsense self-help books. Have you read it and what was your opinion?

Other urls found in this thread:

npr.org/podcasts/510308/hidden-brain
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

*sigh*

Great contribution

More or less the worst post I've ever seen here.

Throw that in the trash and read this instead.

>buying a self-help book
Are you a middle-aged single mom?

I used to be happy until Mr Shops opened up my eyes.

The best part of your posts are the numerous justifications for your commentary. Oh wait, stay fucked. The reason I bought it is because several people on Veeky Forums recommended it. 100% sure you haven't even touched it.

I'm loving this meme, I think it has the potential to live a long and prosperous life.

happiness is vastly overrated

this meme is vastly overrated

Of course I haven't touched it. It's a self-help book.

E D G Y
D
G
Y

You're talking to a community who haven't the courage to go do anything to improve their lives and rationalise it by reading the wikipedia of Schopenhauer to claim they are doing the right thing just the average person isn't wise enough to see it.

Having said this, this book has been criticised for denying the importance of processing bad emotions which was claimed in part to be the reason for some horrific actions by US soldiers.

pleb

Speak for yourself.

Seligman helped facilitate the torture of 'enemy combatants' after 9/11. What a great guy.

As expected, not a SINGLE helpful comment from somebody who actually read the book. Well fucking done Veeky Forums, you are like the nerd with the punch me face in class.

if you expected no helpful comments then why did you post it you fucking retard and there's criticism of if here

Wow, you sound extremely upset. Maybe you need to change your mind and your life. Anyone know of any books that might help with that?

This boards potential is continually wasted. I'm not upset, but disappointed. Also, weak sarcasm is weeeak.

This board seems just fine to me. Have you considered the possibility that you're projecting?

No, have you?

Of course not, I'm not the one lashing out angrily at everyone who disagrees with me.

Meant for obviously

I tried reading it years ago. I just remember being annoyed by all the questionnaires in it.

It might not be the best book to go by, though. I was listening to an NPR podcast a couple weeks ago about why positive thinking can be a bad thing (it inhibits us from acting since the positive thinking has us thinking it will work out as we want, etc.).

>Episode 30: WOOP, There It Is
>Many of us have heard that we should think positive... Visualize ourselves achieving our goals. But researcher Gabriele Oettingen finds, this isn't actually the best advice. Instead, we should use her strategy — which she calls WOOP.
npr.org/podcasts/510308/hidden-brain

Hope this helped and you aren't mad about my post like you are about the other replies.

>it inhibits us from acting since the positive thinking has us thinking it will work out as we want,

Why would expecting a good outcome inhibit you from action?

Because you start to assume it will just happen instead of coming about as a result of work and effort

yeh true, you have to be extremely deluded to do this though. I doubt any book which advocates positive thinking states anything like: 'just think about it and it'll happen'. This seems more a criticism of people's misreading of these books than the books.

Eh, the secret?

even the secret says you have to work towards it as well or it won't happen

How could I be angry at you? You justified your response, which nobody else did. I take your point and even agree with it to some extent. All I wanted. Now I will read the book and form my own opinion.

Yeah, but the whole "cozmic vibrattiionzz work for meee" is bullshit

yeh, it's beyond shit. That doesn't stop even the mongoloids who buy into the secret not following its advice properly if they don't take action

Assume the worst, work hard to prevent it, be prepared if it does, be pleasantly surprised if it doesn't.

Optimism is for children.

Willful ignorance is not the answer to life.