Why are scientists hostile to the idea that the other planets affects Earth's processes?

Why are scientists hostile to the idea that the other planets affects Earth's processes?

I won't tell you astrology is legit but I will say the position of the planets affects what happens on this rock.

For example, the Moon's gravity affects the results at the Large Hadron Collider:

arstechnica.com/science/2012/06/full-moon-affects-large-hadron-collider-operations/

The damn moon phase affects particle interactions!

My dad is an amateur astronomy. He travelled to Australia to watch the transit of Venus. The orbit of Venus affected the location of my dad on the Earth!

But if I ask him (or most scientists) if the planets affect the happenings of Earth, they'll say that's nonsense.

Why? Is it a superiority thing? "I'm more superior than you because I don't believe in astrology/magic" (which doesn't even make sense because I'm not arguing that the newspaper astrologies are accurate by any means). Is it fear of the unknown? Is it simply unformfortable to realize the simplest of things are actually incredibly complex? I don't get it.

Other urls found in this thread:

cooking.stackexchange.com/questions/10413/how-much-does-a-large-potato-weigh,
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orbital_resonance?wprov=sfla1
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

If there's a really cool Moon, I'll go look at it with binoculars.

I didn't summon the Moon - I'm not the independent variable. The Moon's position is the independent variable - I simply reacted to it making me the dependent variable.

Go outside
Look at the moon
Take a potato
Hold it at arms length
>The gravitationall pull on your head from the potato is greater than the pull from the moon.

So you're saying I can jump higher during the day than at night?

That may be the case but the moon pulls the tides so there is obviously a significant pull

In reference to the sun, yes? However the effect is pretty small.

>The damn moon phase affects particle interactions!

No, the lunar tides affect a 9 km diameter experiment. Particle detectors are not immune to gravity. Particle physics is not being affected.

Please learn to read.

My math says the Moon's pull is on the order of 50 billion times stronger.

Did I do my math right?

>Particle physics is not being affected

Scientists have to adjust the experiment based on the Moon's location less the particle experiment data is affected. How is this different?

>inb4 whatever response

The Moon is affecting how the LHC operates. Period.

it has nothing to do with superiority, most people just think it´s bullshit

>Scientists have to adjust the experiment
Yes. Because the tides distort the shape of the accelerator. If it's not corrected the beam will not be centered and may be lost. The nature of the experiment is not changing, physics is not changing, the equipment is just being distorted.

>The Moon is affecting how the LHC operates. Period.
Yes. That's what I said, you moron.

>go outside
>stand on beach
>tide comes in since gravitational force between head and water is greater than moon and water
>explode

Could you please substantiate this "hostility"?

Just the general trend of "I think the planets affect what happens on Earth," followed by an eye-roll and a sigh and a "Here we go..."

The moon isn't a planet you weiner

>But if I ask him (or most scientists) if the planets affect the happenings of Earth, they'll say that's nonsense.

"The moon has a very small effect on an extremely precise procedure, therefore other planets effect the earth's processes in a meaningful way." Bro, the other planets are significantly further way, so have less gravitational influence. On top of that, such influence will be negligible on all but the most precise endeavors. That's why nobody takes it seriously.

I got about a million times stronger

are you trying to justify your addiction to astrology?

[math]F_g = \frac{Gm_1m_2}{d^2}[/math]

Mass of moon: [math]7.34767309 × 10^{22}[/math]kg
According to cooking.stackexchange.com/questions/10413/how-much-does-a-large-potato-weigh, a medium potato is [math]150[/math]g.

Distance to moon is [math]3.84400000\times10^8[/math]m. Distance is gonna vary at surface of the earth and depending upon observer's relative position (are they at the zenith?), but that's irrelevant for the purpose of making you look like a fucktard.

Gravitational constant is [math]6.673 x 10^{-11}[/math]

[math]F_g = \frac{\left (6.673 \times 10^{-11}\right )\times\left (0.15\right )\times\left (7.34767309 \times 10^{22}\right )}{\left(3.84400000\times10^8\right)^{2}} = 0.00000497731[/math]

Average arm length is 0.635m (25in)

if [math]F_g = \frac{\left (6.673 \times 10^{-11}\right )\times\left (0.15\right )\times\left (m_{your\ giant\ head}\right )}{\left(.635\right)^{2}} \gt 0.00000497731[/math], then [math]m_{your\ giant\ head} \gt 200507[/math]kg

u r a fat head.

They do but the effects are mostly neglegible thanks to our gigantic moon that stabilizes us

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orbital_resonance?wprov=sfla1

Without the moon Earth might be flipped over like Venus

Oops. I used the radius of the Moon instead of the correct r, distance from you to the Moon.

>Why are scientists hostile to astrology
they tend not to suffer fools gladly

>Distance is gonna vary at surface of the earth and depending upon observer's relative position (are they at the zenith?), but that's irrelevant for the purpose of making you look like a fucktard.

Because what you are talking about isn't astrology you fucking idiot. That's psychics.

Astrology is believing the planets affect your emotions and dictate your future and fate. So far there's no proof that gravity does that. You might argue for "but it effects muh particles!" Makes it makes no sense considering it differentiates between when a person was born but doesn't account for where they where born or where they are. It's nonsense.

>'there is no active force in the universe except gravity'