Moving to Manhattan is the food as good as they say

Moving to Manhattan is the food as good as they say

Other urls found in this thread:

washingtonpost.com/sf/style/2015/12/21/the-10-best-food-cities-in-america-ranked/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>manhattan people say that their food is good
>are they lying?
There's only one way to find out. Report back when you get there!

Full on kurry town is my iiiiiiiish xolmez

I hear trump tower has fantastic taco bowls

almost every type of cuisine within a mile of you

Mahhattan sucks. Lived there 2 years for school, have no desire to even visit.

why's that

Aside from the fact that everything is overpriced as fuck, the food options are nowhere near as diverse and high quality as people pretend. It's also crowded and smells like piss.

It's one thing if you are talking about all of NYC , but there are a number of much better food cities in the US compared to Manhattan (and travelling to the outer boroughs just to eat is a giant pain in the ass).

>but there are a number of much better food cities in the US

a number? where? manhattan and NYC as a whole might be overrated, but the food is still amazing. I really don't think there are a number of better food cities in the US.

also if you think traveling to a different borough is a hassle, trying traveling from one side of Los Angeles to the other when it's dinner time. WAY worse.

where from

Seattle

well it's better than there at least.

I don't think anyone is going to argue that Los Angeles is one of the top food cities in the country...

>the food options are nowhere near as diverse and high quality as people pretend.

Unless you were born and raised in NYC stfu. There's nothing worse than dome fucking transplant trash talking NYC when they don't even travel anywhere outside of Manhattan and Williamsburg.

Depends where you go as in any city, but there's like 5 boroughs, 2 counties in Long Island, and Yonkers as well as City Island.

so all the good restaurants are in Staten Island, Queens, Bronx, and the not-so-popular parts of Brooklyn? and everything in Manhattan and Williamsburg sucks? lol k buddy

>answers a question directly about what the food is like in manhattan
>stfu! you probably haven't even left manhattan!

I can't even imagine how jaded and delusional people born and raised in NYC must be.

Kek fag

you dont know what you're talking about. look at any list of top food cities in the US.

e.g. this list puts NYC at 8 and LA at 3: washingtonpost.com/sf/style/2015/12/21/the-10-best-food-cities-in-america-ranked/

LA is kind of up n coming tho

The point is that transplants always eager to complain about shit when they know the least about the city. There are over 24,000 eating establishments in the 5 boroughs, alone. You did not eat at, let alone visit, all of them to deduce that there's a lack of variety in food and that all of the food sucks.

>Moving to Manhattan
>OP will only stay in Manhattan

Not happening.

>washingtonpost.com/sf/style/2015/12/21/the-10-best-food-cities-in-america-ranked/

This list couldn't be anymore white if it tried.

Well, at least they got the top two spots right.

completely depends on what he does and what circles he roles with. you think those finance bros ever leave manhattan?

No.

Also enjoy getting the trash and exhaust smell out of your clothes and masturbating drunk bums on the train.

I wouldn't go back to that shithole if you paid me

Depends where you're going to be eating. Each neighbourhood has different restaurants and people. There's plenty of Chinese places in Flushing that have good food. I got a pound of roast pork for $10, and pork buns 4/1.50. A lot of better places are hole in the wall, but some "fancier" or more popular places are good too. I recommend completely avoiding tourist trap areas, such as little Italy and most of china town. As far as Italian goes, East Brooklyn or 80% of Staten Island is where you want to eat. Slavic cuisine is down by the beach. Hispanic is practically everywhere. Caribbean food you want to go over into queens, Jamaica specifically (but don't get jumped OP). So yeah, Manhattan is overpriced and full of faggots 90% of the time, but if you can find a hole in the wall place that's not a B rating or lower, you're good.

West Brooklyn* east Brooklyn is where all the Muslims and Hispanics live

>>washingtonpost.com/sf/style/2015/12/21/the-10-best-food-cities-in-america-ranked/
>This list couldn't be anymore white if it tried.
Err, not it is isn't, First two mentions in Charleston are soul food and mexican. Then moves into DCs indian, pakistani and jose andres...not the least of which I agree with defining the DC food choices whatsoever. But, WTH is your damage in reading comprehension? I have absolutely no racial issues with this ranking, but I do think someone who ranks #1-3 as all being West Coast has some kind of issue, as well as leaving Miami out. This guy clearly doesn't travel on his own, nor has a good budget and is simply congregating other people's opinions with just a sprinkling of his own.

Non-exhaustive list of NYC places that are generally recommended that I can personally co-sign:
Shanghai cafe for soup dumplings (my favorite dish in NYC)
Bassanova for Green Curry Ramen (would be my favorite dish in NYC but last time I went it wasn't as good so it's been dethroned).
Breslin Lamb Burger
Spotted Pig Burger
Nom Wah Tea Parlor for Dim Sum
Jing Fong for slightly more elaborate dim sum.
Turntable Chicken for Korean Fried Chicken
Shake shack, obviously (the maneuver here is single smokeshack)
Kang Ho Dong Baekjong for KBBQ but if you can make it to Flushing or Palisades park the korean food out there is better.
Roberta's for Pizza
Momofuku Ssam bar > Nishi > Ma Peche > Noodle Bar but all are pretty decent.
Burger Joint
Ivan Ramen Slurp shop Vegetable Ramen (

Manhattan has great spots to eat and you won't really struggle much finding something good, but the real benefit of living in NYC is having access to authentic ethnic cuisine. You'll find a lot of that in Queens.

This is true, but you can actually find some really great spots in gentrified Brooklyn. Although a good chunk of restauraunts are overpriced (gotta pay rent somehow) and aim for style over substance.

It's either hipster trash, authentic stuff or investors trying to make money.

Stick to the traditional spots who don't really get the lime light but have been around for the longest.

They stand the test of rent increases for a reason mong.

>literally most people who fell for the honeypot containment city of jew york, overpaying for shitty closets in a concrete jungle full of minorities, end up tricked to going to shitty hipster places to eat instead of actual good restaurants

maximum irony

>he fell for the Roberta's meme.

I always had my best meals in the outer boroughs when I lived there. Can't remember the names of the places, but had great Italian in Bensonhurst, some Chinese place in flushing, and a Sunday Greek dinner in Astoria. The subway rides kind of sucked but I thought it was worth it.

Why do newyorkers have such a huge inferiority complex whenever it comes to Los Angeles?

I think people just don't want to believe that the sprawled out suburban mess shithole that Los Angeles is could do anything right.

Charleston is top notch, but don't move here.

people are shit too and you need to make 200k a year to be middle class

most of the butthurt are transplants anyway

where for ramen sir? never had it before

Add Wafels and Dinges to that list, great Belgian waffles. Started as a food truck but they have a cafe now as well.

as an average female how easy is it to pick up a guy at a bar there? looking for the trust funders

>average
>trust funders
>bar

not gonna make it

Everyone is overworked and broke in confined spaces. And then you deal with over crowded hot ass subway stations and sitting next to some disgusting homeless man on your hour commute home. People have this idealized view of NYC like it's the best place in the world. I lived there after college. It was cool I like music and movies so you get to experience all of that. But moving to the hartford area in connecticut reduced my stress levels and I began to actually save money. That being said CT is boring as fuck and I will probably move to Texas or something soon.

Although he food is good and you can get any cuisine you want. So I do miss that. But for anyone thinking of moving there, make at least 70k or you will need to live with 4 roommates in some shitty part of brooklyn.

Also protip Newark Ironbound is cheap and commute isn't bad if you work downtown

where do they hang out then

tinder, ok cupid, PoF

they have 2 dates a day and will fuck you and never contact you again, then one day they turn 45 they might settle down with an average girl they met at the bar

>200k a year to be middle class
is this true if you have a paid off place? I assume that 200k number is if you're renting right

well i can just go on okcupid there

you don't need 200k. You can get by with your own place in Manhattan maybe for 80k if you're renting. That includes extra money so you can go out. Actually buying an apartment? You better work in finance.

>70k/80k minimum
jej

You need to make 45x of renting price to rent alone. Good luck finding something not in Brownsville or the Bronx for 1.5k/month. 70k is still find-roommates-tier

On topic, I believe that food quality varies wildly depending on the neighbourhood. Midtown sucks

re read what that guy said if you have a paid off place how much does living in NYC cost

I am white and have good credit

upstate or greenwich, people don't really meet at bars or on the street it's all online or through friends now

Thread hi-jack

If someone wanted to expand their culinary ability, what city would they move to? What city has the best broad range of cultural foods? What city is the best to hone that ability through opportunity?

by upstate i mean upper west side and upper east side

I can't tell you because fuck off. We're almost full. What are you bringing to the table?

Passion. Nearing two decades of experience. Let me in you faggot, I want to cook.

No joke. LA, your practically bombarded by ethnic food if you travel 5 miles inland from the cost

>Moving to Manhattan

Enjoy eating shitty food that's outrageously overpriced, while living in a concrete hive that smells like piss.

>food is overpriced

hahahahahahaha this nigga be eating at TGIF and Momofuku on the regular. It really goes to show how shit people are with doing research on finding cheap and delicious food. It's fine, though, since all the good places don't have shmucks like this dude spouting nonsense

Man, all these butt hurt flyover yokels. We can't help it if you were born in a mud hut Jethro.

Manhattan is a playground for the rich. Not just rich people who live there, but the international rich set as well. If you have real rich people money you will love it. The food (aside from the tourist shit) is very good. Some of the poor people food is very good as well, like: Papaya King, cabbie joints, cheap Chinatown stuff, Puerto Rican/Dominican lunch counters, the cheap Mexican joints selling to Mexicans and the like.

But almost all of what you buy in Manhattan has a markup that covers the rent of the commercial lease the place has to pay to stay in business there.

I left the East Village just over a decade ago. Now I live in a not so trendy part of Brooklyn. A friend who stayed behind is paying 4x what I do for groceries. I still come back to the old neighborhood to g out to eat every now and then. She can't hardly afford to because her day to day costs eat her alive.

You gotta price things out by what they're worth to you. For me, a guy who cooks at home but likes going out to nice places it wasn't worth it to live in Manhattan anymore. If you make fuck you money it's great. If you're somewhere in between there's a calculation to make.

>But almost all of what you buy in Manhattan has a markup that covers the rent of the commercial lease the place has to pay to stay in business there.

Literally the most useless sentence ever. Congrats, you figured out how a business works. Thanks for letting everyone else know.

>Congrats, you figured out how a business works
True. But there there aren't too many places in the world where you LIVE it in a matter of three or four year cycles. Here you do.

My advice to OP is buy in a shit neighborhood near some trendy ones as soon as you learn the lay of the land. Go out to eat with your rich friends where they live with the money you saved. Then in 4-10 years look at how much your place has appreciated, and consider yourself a genius.

It's shit, but it's better than most of the US.

t. assblasted jew york cuck

t. flyover frozen food connoisseur

>he can't defend his shitty dying insanely overpriced concrete jungle

California > Texas > Florida > New York

>eating in Times Square and complaining things are overpriced

I get it, you don't know what the inside of a proper restaurant looks like. Don't worry, Wendy's will still be there when you get home, too!

The funny thing is, you're comparing when New Yorkers don't even give a shit about other states