What is the very best stream of consciousness writing you've ever read?

what is the very best stream of consciousness writing you've ever read?

My

dingaling

The hell'djya find that?

Well, the default answer is Ulysses, but, personally, parts of Under the Volcano and Omensetter's Luck were just as interesting and we'll-done.

Unexpected Chuck Berry reference on my Veeky Forums

chuck berry is beyond shit, it's from the simpsons

i was thinking of buck cherry sorry, chuck berry is p good. still from the simpsons

mrs dalloway

I really like Joan Miro's paintings.

Finnegan's Wake is quite literally the best example of stream of consciousness there is.

But if it is a dream, wouldn't it be stream of unconsciousness?

As I Lay Dying

Dreams, and sleep by extension, represent a different level of consciousness.

Reading it right now... Is it really considered stream of consciousness?

Faulkner is considered one of the pioneers of stream-of-consciousness writing. It's much more apparent in some parts of the book than others. Not sure how far you are, but you'll be able to tell when it pops up.

There is a section in this book called asylum where some erudite madman writes a stream-of-consciousness. The author got a copy since he was good friends with him, and put it in his book verbatim.

Fucking this, I can't even get over how much I adore every page of that book

Johny Got His Gun

Jason Compson's section in Sound and the Fury.

Best: Ulysses, The Waves, The Sound and The Fury
Unexpectedly Good: the incredibly sparse moments of soc in Beloved

IDK about best but late-Burroughs is excellent

Probably the end of The Waves

who is the author?

For a moment I read "The Sound and The Fury" as two separate titles

I'm glad I'm not the only one on Veeky Forums who has read this book, really fucking good.

telephone_junkie

I hate reading stream of consciousness but I love it as a writing technique to flesh out emotions and ideas.

How can anyone prove published SOC is real, anyway? I just dislike the concept, but more power to you if you like it, I guess.

This. Burroughs' later writings are incredible.

Do writers edit stream of consciousness? I know this sounds like a stupid question but does it not defeat the point of it if it is later polished to some meet with some set literary or formulaic or aesthetic
precedent?

Shouldnt a writer come to editing, read their stream of conscious, react like pic related but then not edit it too much?

Plz educate

>Ulysses mentions

Agreed.

stream of consciousness is a meme

it sucks

Quentin's section of "The Sound and the Fury". So tragic and so damn beautiful.

stream of conciousness is about the closest that prose gets to poetry besides lyrical style prose (that of Lolita is probably the most popular). the editing process to stream of conciousness is in the same vain as editing a poem, focusing on word to word transitions instead of character to character, or situations, the editing process depends on the writer, you could be joyce and have ezra heavily edit every single line while you pass out drunken on his couch for months, or you could be faulkner and write AiLD in the course of 3 weeks without ever editing a single line (supposedly). so the unhelpful answer is, it depends, yes you would proobably want your stream of conciousness edited, but by somebody very close and of the same vain, not someone who would try to widdle it back out of experimentation (unless you're just plain bad at that but you should know that early on), and also not someone who is willing to dote over your ideas (close friends but not the kind of people who give valuable criticism)

Lucky's speech on Waiting for Godot.

I read "lights in August" and it seemed like diving into the traumatic memories of an old, drunk man. [Spoiler] it was shite [/spoiler]

this was well worth the read