Fuck Veeky Forums i'm failing Calc II and I wanna be a math major. Should I just give up or do pic related?

Fuck Veeky Forums i'm failing Calc II and I wanna be a math major. Should I just give up or do pic related?

Other urls found in this thread:

qz.com/635002/teaching-kids-philosophy-makes-them-smarter-in-math-and-english/
logicmatters.net/tyl/
youtube.com/watch?v=-kO2H7kSezw
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flow_(psychology)
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

No, you should try tutoring, look for lectures online on the topics you're struggling with, and if necessary retake the course with another professor.

Be a fucking adult.

Hey, on the plus side, real math classes are based on proofs and mathematical reasoning rather than computation and are nothing like your calculus classes.

On the downside, if you're failing calc 2 you're most likely retarded and not cut out to be an engineer let alone a math major.

Maybe you just suck at Logic.

qz.com/635002/teaching-kids-philosophy-makes-them-smarter-in-math-and-english/

Take some Philosophy classes maybe.

I'm not really failing but just getting a B rather than an A. Tried picking up Spivak and proofs are kinda comfy and I enjoy it but it takes a long time for me to solve thek.

Philosophy major is my back up plan m8. I enjoy reading that shit

Practice problems (assigned homework doesn't count)
Flash cards (yes you do fucking need them)
Kahn academy

Those are in order of importance. I've watched my friends who didn't do these fail and the ones that did passed.

>I'm not really failing but just getting a B rather than an A.
Oh well then stop being a whiny little faggot because as soon as you get past calc you will be fine, your first couple proofs-based classes will be hard as fuck while you get used to it but after that you'll be straight, just takes practice.

Thanks user I think I needed that. Upboat for you

What proof based classes would you recommend starting with to ease into the proofs world?

"Proofs"
Or just read through an applied linear algebra book and try to do the excersices. There's a book everyone recommends titled "how to prove it" but I've never read it.

well, most universities have some kind of intro to proofs or introduction to set theory class, try that or linear algebra, just don't try signing up for number theory your third semester you will have no clue wtf is going on

Do stats teach math. To high schoolers. Do economics

Knot theory won't help you here. Just go on Khan academy and stop watching Jessica do her laundry. If you're gonna make a move, do it already. Everybody is passing Calc II and fucking Jessica while you talk about knot theory. Fucking mathematicians.

wut

>you'll never have a cute smart mathemation girlfriend

most people do, philosophy is the study of the self-evident and obvious

EDGY
D
G
Y

>tfw have cute smart mathematician girlfriend
>tfw relative dropkick studying civil & structural engineering with a little bit of comp-sci on the side
livin' the dream boiz

You don't count, you're a civil engineer.

>pure math
>helpful to governments

all applied math is based on pure math you nigger

How does she cope with the fact that you take more cock in than she does?

Blame your shitty country for creating the false pure applied dichotomy.

A degree in mathematics should teach all relevant pure and applied math, or else you cannot call yourself a professional mathematician.

Don't give up, if you fail just take the course again. You already went through it once so it should be easier the second time around. All this will cost you is some time and money.

>knot theory

Calc 2 at most schools is basically just a bundle of tricks, doing poorly won't mean a ton. You're fine.

If this was your first proofs based class or a real linear algebra course you'd have more cause for concern. If you're not doing well at calc 2 (and it's due to insufficient skill with the various integral methods) just practice a lot more, use something like wolfram alpha when you get stuck.

>Philosophy major is my back up plan m8
Philosophy, depending on the school will be just as hard, most of the classes require strong logical reasoning, argumentation. You might take some classes in modal logic, idk though. But if you enjoy reading dense texts and writing coherent philosophical essays, I think you're good. The thing is, if you actually liked math, it'd come "easy" for you too. When you enjoy an activity, nothing seems difficult for you.

Reading works and writing down my thoughts on it is my primary way of killing time when I'm bored. I get a great deal of enjoyment in it. I also tried cracking open an intro to logic textbook and it was a much easier experience than Calc 2 imo. I just hate the tricks describes for Calc 2.

>When you enjoy an activity, nothing seems difficult for you.

I get the sentiment but I believe it is worded too strongly. I have to works hard to do well in my math classes, but I still love math. I self-study in my spare time and that's not even my field (CS).

You just are more willing to work harder and are able to work harder if you love it.

Books like concise introduction to logic is easy. Try mathematical logic

logicmatters.net/tyl/

do this
First half of the semester is literally just integrals dude. Hardest part about calculus was probably series, but with practice you can ace your tests on these too.

Just apply yourself on the retake my man.

Is WolframAlpha wrong in this regard? Shouldn't the two areas cancel each other out and equal zero?

https://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=find+area+between+the+curves+y%3Dx^3-x+and+y%3D3x

no

Total Area vs. Net Area
youtube.com/watch?v=-kO2H7kSezw

My point was that once you get into flow, it won't seem hard, even though it objectively is harder.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flow_(psychology)

Depends. Did you put in actual effort?

I failed calc because I was a lazy freshman, but once I started busting my ass I was literally acing grad level courses and graduated with an A-.

that's not how it works lol