What is the path to the course Real Analysis at your school?

What is the path to the course Real Analysis at your school?

At mine you need Calc I -> Calc II -> Calc III -> Fundamentals of Higher Mathematics -> Theory of Calculus -> Analysis I -> Analysis II -> Real Analysis

Each preceding course is a prerequisite of that course, and the courses Analysis I, II, and Real are only offered at the graduate level. I've heard of people taking Real Analysis immediately after Calculus, or with a proofs course or two in between. Is my uni Jewing math students?

I went straight from Calc I-IV and Linear Algebra to a graduate complex analysis course, my uni doesn't give a fuck.

What is covered in Cal III? Whats fundamentals of higher mathematics? What's taught in Theory of Calculus? These terms aren't universal. Even Cal 1 and Cal 2 aren't necessarily universal (but I think most people would agree that it's single variate differential calculus and single variate integral calculus, respectively)

In my school as soon as you're done basic engineering differential/integral calculus they permit you to do the analysis sequence
Analysis 1 (sets, sequences, limits, differentiation)
Analysis 2 (integration, maybe series? intro to topology)
Real Analysis (essentially 1 and 2 again but now with more topology)

then it branches into Measure Theory and Topology

At my university you need calc II (single variable integral and series) and linear algebra to do Intro to Analysis I-II, and then after that there's Real Analysis I-II

People who say they take "real analysis" directly after calculus are referring to the intro sequence which likely uses something like baby rudin. The "Real Analysis" course at my uni uses Folland.

Calc 1 -> calc 2 -> calc 3 -> analysis I -> analysis 2 -> real analysis

it depends a LOT on what "Real Analysis" means. "Real Analysis" is usually an introductory class in analysis of R^n, which is probably what your "theory of calculus" is.

WHAT THE FUCK IS CALC 2 and CALC 3 ?????

My University:

Differential Calculus
Integral Calculus
Whatever the fuck you want.

My personal path because I'm a fuckwit:
Honors Calculus 1 (Covers Multi and Linear Algebra with proofs)
Honors Calculus 2 (Basically just real analysis, covered differential forms and proving things like Stokes' Theorem, etc.)
Topology (Graduate), Abstract Algebra (Graduate), Advanced Analysis (Graduate) (All in the same semester, a mistake to attempt, and Advanced Analysis was just real analysis but in detail, and all of these courses except topology had undergraduate equivalents that were much, much easier)
Number Theory, Complex Analysis, PDEs
This semester: Probability Theory, Game Theory

Shit got easier after the hump.

But seriously what the fuck is Calc 3 and Calc 2? What does that mean?

So basically I fucked myself over by going straight from Calculus 2 with differential forms to Topology, Analysis, and Abstract Algebra, all grad courses, all at the same time, because my university REALLY didn't give a fuck.

Calculus 1-2 → Vector Calculus, Matrix Algebra → ODEs → Proofs → Baby Rudin x2 → Folland / Papa Rudin x2

>CALC 2
second half of high school calculus in Europastan
>CALC 3
Multivariable and Vector Calc

Thanks

Linear algebra then real analysis

SV Calc --> MV&Vector Calc --> Linear Algebra --> Intro Analysis (optional) --> Analysis 1 ---> Analysis 2 --> Real Analysis 1 ---> Real Analysis 2

Fundamentals is basically an into to sets/ proofs course. It's required for all the proofs based courses (analysis sequence, abstract algebra sequence, number theory, etc,) and noneuclidian geometry.

newton invented this shit on a whim

and we are sitting here 500 years later devoting like 5+ university courses to it lol

he literally invented like 3+ years of your life just for his own convenience

and yet this man is still not considered as smart as john von neumann

>MIND BLOWN

>newton invented this shit on a whim
back to plebbit, cancer is contagious

>denying reality
>will never even glimpse for a fraction of a second the universe through the eyes of a true genius

but dont worry, im sure you'll accomplish something neat within the confines of your own average human brain

Look, if you're still going to troll or act retarded, that's fine.
- Swear
- Ad hominem; Call people names
- Don't provide counter-arguments
- Reject realism and the scientific consensus
That's ok.
Just don't loop.
Looping is cancer.

Personal incredulity and the argument from ignorance are fallacies. You're ignorant.
You imply you have no knowledge of the other kinds, therefore they don't exist.
That is wrong irrational.
:D

sorry i dont respond to fallacy spams

your ability to copy and paste words from a dead language from a list created by failed degrees on wikipedia is commendable, but to try and deny that newton isnt an intellectual titan compared to regular pleb peasant humans (you and me included) is just a sad feat of mental gymnastics.

instead of trying so hard to insult me for simply speaking the truth you don't wish to see, maybe you should just open your eyes and accept that you are just an average person

maybe you'll accomplish more when you dont feel obligated to shitpost everyone who gives someone smarter than you a compliment :)

la

> invented this shit on a whim
No: This a meme perpetuated by BSM. Read the first essay by Newton in Principia to his motivations.

> and we are sitting here 500 years later
No: Many of the results that Newton had introduced were publicized in the mid-17th century -- about 350 years.

> devoting like 5+ university courses to it
No: The calculus you're taught in cal 1 and cal 2 is not Newton's formulation of calculus. Newton was unaware of many of the results you learn in multivariate cal (e.g. Stokes' Theorem). Mathematical Analysis was not given serious treatment until, say, 100 years after Newton's death.

> he literally invented like 3+ years of your life
No: The typical calculus curriculum that Newton had introduces at best covers 2-3 courses over 1-2 years. Even then, I know of no one who spends beyond, say, 90 hours per course. Literally no one will spend every waking hour of that time devoted to calculus, and if they did they could likely pump through his works in a month or two, maybe three, depending on motivation.

> just for his own convenience
Literally what?

> and yet this man is still not considered as smart as john von neumann
Most people put Newton on a pedestal. Although this type of objective ranking is cancerous and should die.

tl;dr Consider reading a book before you choke yourself on your own saliva.

fact. he created calculus.
fact. he did it because he thought it'd be helpful
fact. he sat on it for 20 years because he forgot and no one knew about it.
fact. he didnt think it was a big deal because he was so much smarter than everyone

i've seen all the documentaries friend. unless you're saying morgan freeman, michio kaku, neil degrasse tyson, brian greene, and caral sagan all lied lol.

saying he created calculus is like saying oppenheimer created the atomic bomb

it's a strawman at best

also
> michio kaku

troll detected

18.014 (babby's first calculus using Apostol) -> 18.100B (babby's first analysis using blue Rudin) -> 18.125 (green Rudin)

This was the path I took. I mean I also took some other algebra and topology classes, but they were not prereqs.

In my uni it's cal1->cal2->(linear algebra->)mathproof->realanalysis. And then complex analysis is a graduate level class

jesus fuck you're a living meme

do you even know what a strawman is?

now i'm convinced you are looking at that list (you know the one).

also that's an unbelievably retarded analogy.

literally exactly what he did was create calculus.

i may be trolling or ignorant or dumb, but you are just trying so hard to be right that you've moved alarmingly close to full retard territory

> i'm convinced you are looking at that list (you know the one)

what list. i'm now convinced that you haven't read a book in your fucking life if you don't understand that people can learn rhetoric outside of a moroccan salt mining image board.

> literally exactly what he did was create calculus.
this is misrepresenting history. the foundations of derivative and integral calculus were done before Newton. One of his major contributions was connecting the two with FTC

Seriously, I highly suggest reading anything outside of Veeky Forums before you do something so intensely ignorant you manage to kill us all (you can start with pop-up pictures books if you're intimidated by large blocks of text -- sometimes they make sounds too)

This is the problem with popularizers of science. Guys like BSM, Green, Sagan, Kaku, etc., may inspire some kids to go into STEM who otherwise wouldn't have, but you're also doomed with the fact that they're giving fully grown adults just enough information to be a danger to themselves and others, but not enough to be able to realize it.

Go back to your anti-vaxx support group.

Europoor here. Here's what I've had:
>1st semester Analysis (1D): Set theory, construction of reals, convergence of sequences/series, elementary functions, continuity of functions, differentiation, intro to diff. eq., integration
>2nd semester Analysis (multi-dim): normed spaces, convergence of multi-variate sequences/functions, continuious multi-variate functions, compact sets, differentiation, manifolds, multi-dim taylor-series, integration, vectorcalculus, stokes/gauss theorem
>3rd semester Analysis ("infinite" dimensional): ODEs, functional analysis, hilbert spaces
>4th semester analysis: complex analysis

that actually sounds pretty nice, as compared to the curriculum available at my school

here's a funny meme you might appreciate, friend :^)

bump

He may have invented the basic principles but it doesn't mean he developed all of machinery...
I don't even know how much he actually did for calculus

Friendly reminder that Analysis I is a first semester course at german universities.

It was a first semester course, along with abstract algebra.

Requirements: Calc 3, which requires Calc 2, which requires Calc 1.

Number Theory, which requires Calc 2, which requires Calc 1.

Linear Algebra, which requires Calc 1.

In my uni, it goes
1st year - Calculus I, Calculus II
2nd year - Analysis I, Analysis II
3rd year - Further Real Analysis

Here Calc I -> Calc II -> Calc III & Linear Algebra I -> Analysis I -> Analysis II

Also, Calc III and linear algebra I are also the pre-requesites for ordinary differential equations.

This makes me wonder why are not ODEs the pre-requisite of Analysis, but who cares.

What the fuck is fundamentals of higher mathematics and theory of calculus?

Oh, here we take a class called 'Fundamentals' first semester that is literally intro to sets, intro to proofs, intro to logic, intro to number theory, etc.

Why do you need to go all the way up to Calc III before you study introductory set theory?

My question for you is how the fuck do you do math all the way to Calc III without knowing formal set notation and the basic operations.

Calc Series+Lin Alg -> Mathematical Reasoning -> Real Analysis Series

My uni:

year 1: Analysis I (epsilon delta, integrability(Riemann and a little bit about Lebesgue), series and sequences and integral differential calculus)
year 2: Analysis II (multi-variable calculus, manifolds, chains, metric spaces.)
year 3: Foundations of Analysis(Arzela-Ascoli theorem, Weierstrass approximation theorem, Fourier series)
year 4: advanced analysis( Banach spaces, duals, weak topology, weak compactness, Hahn-Banach theorem, open mapping theorem, uniform boundedness theorem.)

Real analysis is taken in first year. It has no prerequisites. It's an honors calculus class for math majors.

Calc I -> Calc II -> Calc III -> Linear Algebra -> Real Analysis

"formal set notation" isn't the same as knowing actual set theory as in the ZFC axioms, constructing N through R, etc

>Real analysis is taken in first year. It has no prerequisites. It's an honors calculus class for math majors.

same with mine, which school?

A god damn two year old could do Fourier series.

>Each preceding course is a prerequisite of that course, and the courses Analysis I, II, and Real are only offered at the graduate level. I've heard of people taking Real Analysis immediately after Calculus, or with a proofs course or two in between.
Some places call their transitional, intro-to-proofs sort of course "real analysis".
Some places call the adv cal course/sequence that comes after it "real analysis".
Some places call their graduate-level measure theory class "real analysis".

Sometimes you'll even see more than one of these at the same university.