I'm making fried chicken tomorrow, and about to put my drumsticks in buttermilk to soak before frying. My question is...

I'm making fried chicken tomorrow, and about to put my drumsticks in buttermilk to soak before frying. My question is, can I score the outside like pic related? Will it cook faster or lose too much moisture?

how are you breading it? are you deep frying or pan frying?

everyone cares about this. make this a sticky.

Pan frying
You must be a blast at parties

How dare OP talk about actually fucking cooking something. We should all report him for making threads that aren't about fast food, Jack, or regional shitposting.

Why don't you do half of them scored, and half not? Fry each type at the same time to remove oil temperature and frying time variables. Report back with findings.

I agree with user, im interested in results

NO! that's retarded. you'll wind up with dry as fuck chicken legs that way

I just made fried chicken in my new deep fryer. I, too, soaked them in buttermilk overnight. Doing so foregoes the need to score the pieces as the buttermilk soaks in to the chicken.

This is a good idea OP.

Please, for science.

Like nuking it from orbit, it's the only way to be sure.

All right I'll let you know, I'll be cooking them in a couple hours

America's Test Kitchen pls go.

nice

Seriously, can I get a hood ass nigga to tell me how to make fried chicken?

I've always wondered how they do it to make it so fucking good. I know Accent© is usually a part of it, but other than that, I want to know it ALL.

One bowl with seasoned flour (crushed corn flakes is optional)
One bowl with buttermilk (an egg beaten into it is optional

Flour, milk, flour, milk, flour, milk, flour, fryer. Just don't have the fryer too hot or you'll burn the crust way before the chicken is done.

I use panko flakes ;3

go to houstonbros thread

I agree with you. Cooking threads are the bane of Veeky Forums.

You only score legs for roasting and grilling. you keep them whole for frying! You add a pinch of salt to your buttermilk.

Op here you bois ready??
Also disregard this idiot never use corn flakes

Cooking vessel with peanut oil

2 parts self rising flour, 1 part cornstarch, 2 tblspn Cajun seasoning, 1 tsp cayenne, few pinches salt for breading

1 whole egg plus two yolks added to some of the reserved buttermilk brine for my liquid part of the breading, I winged this recipe so nothing is set in stone as to an exact recipe, in hindsight I would have used less of the buttermilk for the egg wash

Here we go

a thread worthy of Veeky Forums

Egg coated chicken

I like to completely cover the chicken in as much of the flour as possible and wait a few seconds and then push it into the chicken with my hands, then in shake just once to remove excess

Breaded pieces, these were very large chicken legs hence the idea to score them to help the center cook before the exterior was to dark, probably won't use such large pieces for frying (or score fried chicken again)

Strange, you decided AGAINST cooking these chicken legs in your brand new COPPER CHEF PAN, FOR THE LOW LOW PRICE OF 3 EASY PAYMENTS OF $24.99

Want to fry at 340 so this temp will drop when pieces go in

Not shilling just care about cooking

You won't need to shill for any other product, once you've tried and tested the COPPER CHEF PAN

In the pool kids

They opened as they cooked, didn't know what I expected

The exterior started looking great before the interior was even close

They need to be 165 to take out, still can't quite get the color I want before it gets there, still trying..to me sometimes the simplest seeming things are the hardest to cook, like a gumbo roux

Hi kiddo. It's Sunday and you know that Monday morning is approaching very quickly so perhaps it's time to disconnect from the internet and get that homework done, okay champ?

A little dark but felt very crispy and had internal temp of 165, these were the biggest of the pieces so the others hopefully won't get as dark

Looks like you should have just started the oil at 340.

Really juicy, no pink, cornstarch added a nice crunch to the crust. Would not score again although it added a cool texture on some of the shallower cuts. Overall really good, not better than popeyes but better then church's or kfc

No it dropped well below 340 after putting the chicken in, I actually think my temp was too low causing me to have to cook longer to get the internal temp up

that shit looks baller, son

interesting to know that scoring didn't make any significant difference

OKAY:

First, sure, do the buttermilk soak overnight. Generally I like to put some spices and shit (Bay leaves, whole peppercorns, paprika as it tends to have no taste in the flour dredge. Anything you like really).

SECOND. Take them out of the buttermilk when you are ready to dredge. I like a 80/20 or 90/10 plain flour to cornflour, but that is just me, generally all plain flour is great. Your dredge should have:
LOADS of salt.
LOADS of ground black pepper.
Chili flakes
Paprika
Thyme
Oregano

ALWAYS make more dredge than you think you need, it can just go into the fridge in a old peanut butter jar or tub or something, and the cold and all the salt in it will keep it fine.

A really important thing is letting it SIT in the dredge. Let your chicken suffocate in that like a toddler in a sandpit. Manhandle it, toss it around in there, open them skin flaps on legs and thighs and the breast if you have left the skin on and get some flour in there. But be careful to make sure you're not pulling off the skin, just encourage a little space to let it crisp up.

NONE of this process requires egg, or breadcrumbs. Just the buttermilk you soaked it in, and the seasoned flour dredge.
DON'T take it out of the dredge, put it back in the buttermilk and back in the flour for a "extra crispy second coating of crunch which will be super yummy!!" It doesn't need it, and actually fucks with the flour sticking to the chicken as it encourages two distinct layers (one of chicken, one of flour) which helps the flour burn and darken, and gives the chicken a darker color too.

LET YO SHIT SIT in the dredge for about half an hour, tossing it every 5 or 10 min and compressing the flour ontop of your chicken. This dries out the first few milometers of depth on the flesh and skin, helping the coating and meat bond, and making the skin crispier.

CONT>

Thanks, letting the chicken sit in the flour for a minute helps to make the crust thick, the scoring was just an idea I'd seen before on chicken, but never for frying and couldn't find anything online about it. it didn't work well though

OIL: 340 is about right, but that is your starting temp, bash them bitch nigger pieces of chicken to get the excess flour off. NO MEAT and NO DAMP FLOUR should be showing, there should be a flight 'frilling' of flour all over it if you have tossed it around enough.

IT IS FINE, for the chicken to be a little pale as you cook, if you start at 340, it will drop to around 310-320 when you drop them shits in. DON'T crank the heat, let them cook, and in the last 5 minuets, crank them till you are happy with the color.

Just advice~

A nifty trick I learnt, but a little risky, it smooshing pieces of breast in the pot after their crust forms a little properly to force water out of them, helps for a more "Chicken Tendie" like final product.

THANKS for the tips, but PLEASE stop doing that shit

Oh man don't be the white guy doing the ghetto recipe to seem cool, like "yo I know im Talkin bout recipes an sheit, but pimp yo flour dredge" it's embarrassing... also putting all that shit in your flour will make it burn, true southern nigs just use flour and maybe some salt

Interesting thread. Thanks for the ride, OP.

I like fried chicken, but I hate how messy it gets when you're frying out of a cast iron.

WHAT are you fools talking about?
This is how I type.

But wouldn't the lower oil temperature stave off burning?

Thanks, I'm trying to get more of a commercial type product but I'm getting closer with this recipe, next time I'm going to try it without the buttermilk soak it seems like it's adding so much moisture it slows down the cooking

340 is pretty hot and the thing is that you have to cook the chicken for so long that it gives all those spices plenty of time get bitter or burnt

Use pickle juice instead of buttermilk

For Science!

The trick is lower, slower temperatures. Letting it be blonde in the pot for a while.

Albeit you get a slightly greasier product like your picture here But it should come out at around that color, maybe a little darker.
The reason KFC and most places manage a lighter color and cooked chicken is because it is cooked under pressure, so unless you have an oil suitable pressure cooker, its not gonna happen that way. Also, realizing that you canlet stuff sit after its been cooked and it will continue a little bit, so pull it out when it is just done, and let it sit for 5 or 10 minuets.

gummy chicken the post

pressure frying causes higher temperatures

And thus a quicker cooking time

Thanks for testing it since that experiment has apparently never been documented. Still looks like it came out pretty good. Might just be the only way to get larger pieces to cook evenly inside and out is to lower the oil temperature and cook fewer pieces at a time so the temperature doesn't drop. You can't really cut a leg in half like a breast. You could get a bigger pan so the thermal mass retains more heat, but buying shit is lame.

Thanks it turned out good all things considered, with a deep fryer I think this recipe would fare alot better

The shill ruined the thread. Popeyes is the worst chicken I've ever had.

If you don't want your breading to get dark pull them out when you feel they are your desired color and then put them on the oven. I do this at the restaurant I work at and it doesn't compromise the texture of the breading at all. I also mix up some dry ranch seasoning with salt and sprinkle it on the chicken right out of the fryer.