I've told my UK friends what things they'd need to try if they came to the US. Things like Texas, KC, and Memphis BBQ...

I've told my UK friends what things they'd need to try if they came to the US. Things like Texas, KC, and Memphis BBQ. New England seafood. California fusion. Mexican. Soul food. Gastropub specialities.

Why can't my friends from the UK and Ireland make similar suggestions? The only things they tell me are to get greasy crap takeout and Tikka masala. Are my UK friends plebs/idiots, or is the UK really devoid of good food these days?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=TysjNDTWEBc
youtube.com/watch?v=wMHsojpGV5o
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

More like your UK friends have better taste and don't want to mention the myriad of shitty food options that you wouldn't doubt on recommending.
>three very similar kinds of BBQ
>overrated seafood
>lol california
>lol mexico
>niggers
>hipster shit

Probably because the UK is far more smaller than the US and thus has less regional specialties.

Right, but they can't even mention any specialties other than fucking curry...

Oh dear food god, what food is good enough for youuuu?

Curry.

All you eat is curry?

If you could eat only curry, you wouldn't?

>Gastropub specialities.
Were you really running out of suggestions that badly?

I can eat only curry, and don't choose too.

I do admit it is pretty top tier. It's nigh impossible to beat a good curry.

I'm talking really hipster pub dishes with really good ingredients and a fusion of influences from all over the world.

Yeah, I like that shit. You probably will cry hipster though...

every fucking day in here
>American food
>lol American food doesn't exist I bet you can't name any foods which come from America
>list of American foods
>LOL THOSE ARE ALL SHIT BECAUSE I THINK THEY'RE SHIT

I just think it's an absurd bit of advice, at least your other suggestions are mostly appreciable regional cuisines. Why bundle individual restaurants into such a vague and useless category as "gastropub specialties"?

>american food
>invariably bbq, junk food with better plating or seafood from some hamlet in new england
>and some token hipster shit that is basically all the above but more expensive

fish and chips
full english breakfast
pub pie
bangers and mash
Cumberland sausage if you can get there
Welsh rarebit
potted shrimps if you get to Lancaster
might want to get a cheeky Nando's as well but that's South African IIRC

There's a reason the UK is not known for its food. Ethnic places are really popular in cities but if you can eat that list plus some puddings I think you'd be on your way to knowing what more traditional British food is like

British guy here.

We're not known for good food. In fact, we're historically made fun of by our Euro neighbours for our relatively simple food tastes.

The most english foods I can think of are things such as fish and chips, beans on toast, sunday roasts.

We can't grow exotic foods due to climate, so the main vegetables are root veggies (Carrot, parsnip, potatoes), and things like cauliflower, beetroot, and cabbage.

We're known for having lots of livestock though, so we have good cheeses, and you'll find good meat. Perhaps you haven't tried mutton or lamb too often? We have a lot of that.

We also have lots of good sausages. But the German sausages beat ours, I personally think.

We have Yorkshire puddings, which you may have tried, which are really nice.

Mince pies, pork pies, sausage rolls, scotch eggs.

Stew could be a pretty british thing, now that I think about it.

We have a large fishing industry, but I can't think of any commonly eaten foods that are fish based, fish and chips aside.

Perhaps are breads would be considered good by foreign standards, due to the grain prevalence here.

You can find berries very easily here, too.

I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned wild game dishes. Traditional and awesome.

I thought about mentioning Venison, but I don't really get it where I am, in Birmingham. Is it more common further north?

>invariably bbq
wow can you believe that Americans would post one of their traditional foods as an example of one of their traditional foods?
>French food
>invariably some kind of roasted or braised food
>Italian food
>invariably some kind of pasta or risotto
>Japanese food
>invariably something with soy sauce
>German food
>invariably something with pork

>junk food with better plating
just because it's high-calorie doesn't make it junk. french fries topped with carmelized onions, pork belly, and aioli is no more junk than the individual items of french fries, carmelized onions, pork belly, or aioli. and it tastes fucking delicious put together

>seafood from some hamlet in New England
1. if you don't like lobster or crab, that's your problem, not anyone else's
2. America is not fucking landlocked, you can get seafood from any of the three coasts. if you've never tried a Louisiana-style seafood boil then you don't know shit about seafood at all

>blah blah words
you forgot to mention cajun and creole food, grill food (not bbq), festival food, sausages and cheeses, sandwiches, and a whole bunch of shit you don't really know about. but I'm sure it's all just junk to you because it's easier to write off everything you don't understand than it is to admit that you know less than other people

tl,dr

Where can you not find deer?

>Why can't my friends from the UK and Ireland make similar suggestions?
Because they're not actually your friends, and don't want to get banned from places they actually like for bringing a dribbling neckbearded cunt like yourself into them.

In Birmingham.

>you forgot to mention cajun and creole food, grill food (not bbq), festival food, sausages and cheeses, sandwiches, and a whole bunch of shit you don't really know about.

Well this is kind of the issue.

If a foreigner visited the UK we would usually recommend British classic foods like Roast dinners, cheeses, sausages and sandwiches. But because America was founded by English colonists you already eat most of our traditional foods.

Americans visiting the UK want foods which are British but not already common in America, and there isn't that much which fits that niche.

If an African visited the UK and wanted a tradition English food I would suggest Cheddar Cheese, but do Americans even consider that English?

this is a pretty solid post.

go to any high street butcher and ask them to get you it. they will kindly oblige.

Good post m8, but

>I can't think of any commonly eaten foods that are fish based, fish and chips aside.

Fish pie is an often overlooked staple. Similarly shepherd's and cottage pie. Fish fingers is another one, but that might be a bit childish. I consider the fish finger sandwich excellent comfort food.

Cornish pasties and cream teas are another regional thing.

I like this post

It's a good post

Is there something special about Greggs?

they usually have shops in places where sheep are scarce

This and that.

It's true that Britain has been mocked for not having a diversity of regional foods. In an airline culture family, I can discuss how my the stereotype wasn't just idle chatter but truly the problem that tourists found over and over. Let's say that where an American won't want to eat pizza more than once in a blue moon, or it's too soon, or if you had chicken yesterday, you don't want it today, or the same breakfast daily, the English has less of a problem with eating similar food day after day. Menus are shorter and feature the good ol standards, and things which are popular for the climate, namely meats and starches with less fresh greenery year round. Did England have the salad bar craze in the 70s like Ruby Tuesdays? Not at all. Climate.

But, the good food is there, it's just not in the restaurants like it is in family households. Also, food is much more expensive for a local than it is for a local in the Americas. In the previous decades, the economic level of someone who dines out very often would have had to be much much higher than a lower middle class american, if it wasn't basics like the chip shop served. One only has to look at a munchy box to see 1980s understandings of food groups aren't represented, nor is there a consideration for fat content. No food police shaming locals about movie theatre coconut oil on their popcorn, or talking about cholesterol, when a local is just trying to kill their hunger after a few beers.

Is that a real story??

I reminds me of the Seinfeld episode ripped from the headlines, where a scalding to go cup of McDonalds coffee scalded a lap, and the resulting lawsuit. McD's claimed coffee was served too hot on purpose, so it survived the drive through and ride home/work where it could be consumed later and not be too cold. Kramer was sneaking coffee into the movie theatre in the front of his sweat pants, ROFL. I think his attorney for the frivolous lawsuit was OJ simpson's parodied. Genius look at stupidity.
youtube.com/watch?v=TysjNDTWEBc
youtube.com/watch?v=wMHsojpGV5o

>Is that a real story??

Almost certainly not.

don't be weird m8, of course not

fusilli jerry/assman episode.

Retard.

>ywn get roasted chestnuts from street vendors in London in the winter
>ywn be woken up only to be encouraged to drink at breakfast
>ywn have any ridiculously unhealthy puff pastry and sausage dish made by a loving homemaker who just likes to cook and make people happy
>have burgers every other day since 4th of july and I only eat them when they're fully cooked, because I don't like rare meat

Nobody likes a self hating cuck.

>Venison

It's not just that, your game birds are also delicious. Pheasant, grouse, partridge.... and don't forget wild hare.

Tell them to go to a diner and order one of each type of egg.
They make them like 30 different ways in the states

good point

/pol/ leave immediately please