Thinking about finally getting an e-reader

Thinking about finally getting an e-reader

Everyone keeps suggesting I get the Kindle Paperwhite

Does Veeky Forums agree?

Been using mine daily as of late, so I would suggest getting one.

Yes, get a kindle paperwhite.

>muh file formats

use calibre.

What's wrong with the file formats?

calibre can convert epub files to mobi so that your paperwhite can read it

dont buy kindle, not even an option

What are options?

kindles are great for us poor students

most college english classes require buying 4+ books, and kindles you can just pirate everything

depends on your country, w/e non-kindle e-ink readers without special soft to add books and natively supporting multiple free formats you can buy there

Ah, so a nook

As a Kindle user, I have to confess that if I were to get back in time I'd never have bought that shit. You, op, had best find some E-ink tablet working under Android.

is just being a drama queen, and considering Amazon makes its money on digital sales of books, not kindle purchases you would be hurting them more to buy and pirate. Kindles are well built solid piece of hardware, and you would use calibre for any reader.

That said if you are a /g/ autist than the Kobo Glo HD is considered "perfectly good", just not the best in industry.

Paperwhite 3 owner here, definitely well worth the purchase. Get one of the ones with ads for $20 cheaper, then contact Amazon and tell them you live in another country; they'll switch the ads off for free.

It's a beautiful reader for a good price, and with calibre you can easily convert and even add in auto-hyphenation. I only wish I'd replaced my kindle keyboard sooner than I did.

the worst e-reader with pretty much no features for adjustments in it

this desu, it would be more cost efficient and practical to buy a used Paperwhite 1

i personally own an unique reader made by the technology which was abandoned later :3
i mean the flexible plastic screen. ...too bad the e-reader itself is pretty basic and with a meh battery, well it was very cheap too, albeit not easy to find since the technology is abandoned and they don't make them anymore, afaik it had too many technological flaws

well it seems somebody also makes flexible 13 inchers but those are not really a book and they use a newer technology with very expensive screens

Only if you're a tech pleb

I'd choose E-ink tablet working under Android. Kindles are for normies reading sci-fi and fantasy shit.

I'm intrigued. What on earth is this abomination?

If you're planning on pirating books, you'll want a reader that supports both epub and pdf because they're the most popular formats on sites like libgen

Btw, these threads usually turn into shitshows because people with Kindles claim that people with Kobo ereaders are shilling and vice versa

Just figure out how much you're willing to spend then look at the features and format support of every ereader that's in your budget out there

It's a quality product for a good price; I'm just letting OP know I'm very happy with mine. I might be happy with a Kobo or Nook too, but I know for sure I like this one and use it to meet all my needs.

Kindle used to be defacto standard, but then they closed the system a bit and introduced always-on backlight. Still, their .mobi format is fully compatible with .epub. I've transcoded numerous books both in Calibre and in Amazon's own Kindle Previewer, and every single one turned out fine. .mobi basically is the same thing as .epub, so that should come as no surprise.

What about the possibility of learning vocabulary? I am learning Russian and it would be really interesting to use it as a trainer while reading russian lecture.

Then Kindle is the most worthless. When you read oftentimes you need to translate whole phrases, besides russian words are declined by case, number, gender and so on. I don't really think that Amazon's built-in dictionary is capable enough to do it. Computer or at least android table are the best solutions for that purpose.

Yes, it is the best. especially when paired with Calibre software.

Thank you for that! I read a lot about the in built vocabulary trainer, but it is not what I am searching for. The best solution would be a direct link to a dictionary with an export option to Anki. So you are reading a text, highlight a unknown word, export the word and the translation to Anki to use its superior vocabulary trainer function.

bretty good. cheaper than the oasis drivel and just as good voyage.

bump2

Just got Paperwhite. It's pretty good. They only had the one with special offer ads on the Tesco site when they accidentally reduced the cost. The ads don't get in the way of anything.

huh, I thought the ads really interfered and had to buy the subscription
to each their own though

I think you can also get those removed for free if you lie. Look it up anyways

From what I can see so far the ads appear as a screensaver and on the home/library page. For OPs reference the ad takes 15cm from the bottom of the screen.

Yeah Amazons customer server are always really lenient. I'll consider having them taken off when it starts throwing the Twilight series at me.

Does calibre turn pdfs into good kindled?My epubs come out shit as

wexler flex one

I dont recomend in any way, if you convert a PDF in a Epub you are going to get a long ass book with every sentence separated in paragraphs.

>e-ink android tablet

you're an idiot