I just finished No Longer Human. Where do I go from here? Who are some other Japanese authors worth exploring?

i just finished No Longer Human. Where do I go from here? Who are some other Japanese authors worth exploring?

Yukio Mishima
Natsume Sōseki
Haruki Murakami
Ryu Murakami (although more thriller)
literally just type in japanese authors in google, they're all pretty depressing

Mishima is considered their best modern writer by the Japanese themselves.
Start with The Sailor That Feel From Grace With the Sea and go from there.

I also liked Ryūnosuke Akutagawa. 1920s Writer who managed to roll Gogol, Kafka and Poe all into one.

Shusaku Endo

>suggesting soseki and haruki murakami

could you at least suggest somebody good like kobo abe or akutagawa ryunosuke

Soseki's a classic though. It's like telling someone who wants an intro to American lit to not read Steinbeck.

Murakami on the other hand is complete trash. If you've read Kafka on the Shore you've read Murakami.

>Soseki's a classic though.

he is a cat and would better remained a short story

OP here, thanks for the suggestions I'm writing these all down

>ryu murakami

I was so dissapointed when I read almost transparent blue.

dude huge black cocks lmao

well, to be more accurate, i dislike soseki because he writes such a way so it's not very interesting unless you are fond of japan and want to peer at how it was changing in the beginning of 20th century, and i am not

kobo abe is the laughing stock of Japanese literature and you should be ashamed of falling for the meme

>Start with The Sailor That Feel From Grace With the Sea and go from there.

I was kind of underwhelmed by it. I felt like not a whole lot happened. The dialogue was weird and awful, though the one scene of violence in the book was nice and discomforting, it felt detached from the actual story. What Mishima book will really convince me of his literary prowess?

I think that only people who are found of Japan read Japanese literature fullstop. And Taisho Japan is an incredibly iconic and fascinating time that attracts a look of people.

>it felt detached from the actual story
That's Mishima's shtick. Try the Golden Pavilion next.

Dazai's No Longer Human was pretty shit, however I really wonder how much is lost in translation.

The style is just so barren, and the content is just muh hedonism and...some form of alienation that isn't interesting.

Soseki's I am a Cat is pretty forgettable is you don't love cats and/or are not in mood for a comedy.

I really don't care about some talking quirky cat.

Haruki Murakami can sometimes be comfy but that is about it.

Read Mishima OP and see how you feel.

kawabata (snow country), soseki (kokoro), and mishima

None of you will ever be able to convince me that Haruki Murakami is a bad author

Soseki didn't write about Taisho Japan. He was dead before the period even started.

you can read 1Q84 and convince yourself

he is fake and shallow and also hipsterish

I never said he hasn't put out mediocre or even bad books. But I've read three of his books now and enjoyed them all.

I recognize his flaws, i know he's not the best author ever, but he is NOT bad.

Aka he's a popular living author so stop liking him

Sound of the Mountain by Kawabata

well, take for instance umberto eco, ok hes dead but he died only in february 2016, he was neither fake nor hipsterish, not sure if shallow but that is ok for the lighter literature and is a buzzword anyway unlike the other two words

That's murakami senpai. Abe isn't really revered in the same way a lot of the greats are but he's hardly hated.

Seriously. Oe even thought it was a shame he received the Nobel over Abe.

fuck off trippy

Murakami isn't hated

Neither is Abe.

I hate this fucking trend of calling everything under the sun a meme

Just call it shit if you don't like it.

also
>Abe
>bad

>Who are some other Japanese authors worth exploring?
Literally no one

>translations

finish the Western canon first user.

The Western canon includes thousands of translations, assuming you're talking about Bloom's.

by literary authors of meirt? yes

is Oe any good?

yes

I thought The Setting Sun is a better novel than No Longer Human, but the latter is just so visceral. His short stories are also pretty good, Schoolgirl, Waiting, and A Sound of Hammering might appeal to you.

To read Dazai is to have an abusive relationship with him. It's a strange appeal.

>hipsterish
>applying Western terms to an old Japanese author that doesn't even speak English

It's okay to like things that are likable

What? Do you know who Murakami is? He speaks and reads English very well. In fact he's a translator for a great number of English authors into Japanese, like Carver, Fitzgerald, Salinger, Chandler, etc.