Why is cyberpunk so boring and biopunk so interesting...

Why is cyberpunk so boring and biopunk so interesting? Biopunk can have a do-over of a whole shitty zombie genre and make it good.

Other urls found in this thread:

instagram.com/demirosemawby/?hl=es
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stuxnet
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_events_associated_with_Anonymous
extremetech.com/extreme/149879-brown-university-creates-first-wireless-implanted-brain-computer-interface
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Why are you starting this thread again? At least wait for the other one to leave the archives.

Actually, on second thought, go post in your SF/F containment thread.

What's the other one?

dem childbearing hips

Cyberpunk has basically already happened; the idea of mentally entering the internet, which was once incredible and mind-bending, is now boring and mainstream. Biopunk is on the horizon, which gives it all the appeal that cyberpunk had in the 1980's.

top tier body desu

didn't the cyberpunk crowd switch over to realistic fiction because we are currently cy as fuck?

you can do-over anything in cyberpunk if you just
>nanomachines
hard enough.

That's Demi Rose if my eyes don't deceive me.
instagram.com/demirosemawby/?hl=es

Is this what cyberpunk is?

nice one lad cheers m8 fair play

Thanks, man. Some amazing pics there!

Give me an example of ONE good Biopunk novel.

Windup Girl
Oryx and Crake, Year of the Flood

I liked them, anyway.

If these are the best you have to offer then there's no question Cyberpunk is the better genre.

I don't have a dog in this fight, so whatever man. Just saw the question and answered it. I like both genres.

>Windup Girl
>first page
>"rust colored blister rust"

Dropped

Sorry friend, thought I was talking to OP.

Her face is like Michael Jackson.

I'm actually in a cyberpunk band and we are making some groundbreaking stuff. I also played a tabletop with cyberpunk ninjas that went p good. I will admit though that Biopunk is a thousand times better, and it is really refreshing to see something that hasn't been done to death.

>good novel
>Windup Girl
pick one

You should have allowed me to pick both so I would be able to make the correct choice.

I find there to be a surprising lack of content for how well established a genre cyberpunk is. I remember I had a real craving for it last summer and found real difficult to find anything that would hold me over.

Because the cyber part has become reality so we need some other cover like bio or steam to fantasize about being punk. There's no punk "class", punk is dead. The current world is even less punky than it was in the 80s. You cant exist independently in cyberspace, you can't fight and win the social establishments. The global social structure is unified and not segmented. "Cyberpunks" like the pirate bay guys, the silkroad guy, wikileaks guy, snowden, etc are a proof of that. You ether go to jail or hide behind some social entity. A cyberpunk is suppose to exist as an individual independently in cyberspace while having a 5* heat. Where're laughing men and lains?

who /ribofunk/ here?

biopunk started in the 80s. plenty of biopunk animes from that era and they were usually really goddamn graphic and violent.

Redpill me on the Windup Girl. I read a few chapters of it but was a bit overwhelmed with all the scary things happening. Should I try it again? Call me a pussy I guess. Oryx and Crake and the Year of the Flood were good but Maddaddam or whatever it was called was shit.

She looks interesting

Is the blue nowhere by jeffrey deaver cyberpunk?

That was my fav shit back in the day

Phate bitch

She looks like shes wearing about sixteen pounds of makeup

i would bio her punk if you know what I mean.

>Why is Biopunk so boring and atompunk so interesting? Atompunk can have a do-over of a whole shitty nuclear war genre and make it good.

that is the perfect body,
shame about the colour of the skin.

so, jacked into the megacorp's mainframe lately? did you find that RAM chip with the encoded virus that they were going to release but you stopped them just in time, you and your muscle, who is a twenty-two year old woman with implants and an attitude?

stop shitposting all over with the same image

Yeah but the point is that Island of Dr. Moreau isn't sci-fi while Neuromancer and other metal fetishist stuff is. Self conscious AI is a myth as well and the only plausible thing in Gibson's work are people with gills.

Island of Dr. Moreau, Windup Girl, and I enjoy shitty Joe Ledger novels. However, this thread wasn't started to prove that biopunk has more worthwile stuff than cyberpunk (it doesn't) but to show how the main draw of cyberpunk - that we live in its era - is nothing but a futurologist's kool aid. Cyberpunk's tenets are just pseudo science for the most part and its offspring rings true every time.

Most of cyberpunk problems stem from lazy solutions like "stick a deck into the usb port in your head and meat machine interface will magically kick in". That and the inability to tear itself from the noir stylistic resulting in, as George R Martin put it, Neuromancer being just another caper novel underneath all the fancy wrapping.

wrongo

where?

>ut to show how the main draw of cyberpunk - that we live in its era - is nothing but a futurologist's kool aid. Cyberpunk's tenets are just pseudo science for the most part and its offspring rings true every time.

I feel like you're exaggerating the popularity of cyberpunk - to me it peaked in the 90s, and the "core works" all haven't aged well at all, they're just cheesy now. Biopunk has some interesting approaches but I feel like his proponents (like that guy with the weird name who wrote Windup Girl) exhibit lazy thinking, all SF elements are rather soft. For example, the whole "gene ripping" thing makes no biological sense and feels like it's straight from an anti-GMO facebook page.

>"we live in a cyberpunk age"
When will this meme end? It's complete bullshit.

>For example, the whole "gene ripping" thing makes no biological sense and feels like it's straight from an anti-GMO facebook page.

How much did Monsanto pay you to make that post?!

It may well be lazy thinking or writing but there's nothing in biopunk that is not completely feasible through genetic engineering as its development can be seen now - including a zombie human variant.

I think cyberpunk got diluted as it became post-cyberpunk and now mainly survives through trash level video game writing (which is an oxymoron). I'd rather read lazy biopunk (gene ripping) than lazy cyberpunk (let me just jack myself in this usb port).

Ridiculing cyberpunkers online is one of the few pleasures I have in life.

List some better cyberpunk books (don't say Neuromancer).

How so? You do live in a high tech world ruled by corporations.

It has elements of post-cyberpunk rather than cyberpunk... but I guess it depends on if you're living the average life or if you're living in a ghetto somewhere with a smartphone. Still pretty weak.

maybe i'm projecting a bit, but considering you post on Veeky Forums i think it's safe to assume you
>spend most of your time on the web
>hold counter-cultural views
>have an affinity for japan

face it buddy, you ARE a cyberpunk

any post-cy recs familiaris?

>Ruled by corporations
When will this meme die?

Neuromancer had tons of biotech in it, the whole metal/chrome aesthetic came latter from less talented authors. Good cyberpunk IS biopunk.

when the corporate oligarchy is dismantled and/or superseded

When it stops being real.

Cyberpunk isn't just about computers and shit. Remember that Kowloon Walled City documentary? That's cyberpunk in a nutshell, and without any computers.

>considering you post on Veeky Forums you are a cyberpunk
>this means the world today lives in a cyberpunk age

really owned that argument my man

>Things didnt turn out EXACTLY like how they were in this work of FICTION
Get your fucking head out your ass

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stuxnet
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_events_associated_with_Anonymous
extremetech.com/extreme/149879-brown-university-creates-first-wireless-implanted-brain-computer-interface

user its time to look at the world around you.

Infinite Jest