What does Veeky Forums think of oysters on the half shell?

What does Veeky Forums think of oysters on the half shell?

Overrated. They're fine if you get them as an appetizer with the right sauce but they have no business being as expensive as they are.

Breddy gud. Dash of lemon/lime to make it GOAT.

What's a fair price in your opinion?

Goes great with drinks. A shame my friend cant eat them and he eats damn well

turtle power

I'm not sure desu. I haven't had them in a very long time; all I remember is that they were one of the pricier items on the menu.

Up to $1.5 an oyster is ok from a seafood store. from a restaurant I'd pay up to $6, but for $6 I'd expect them to be great.

do you live somewhere in europe?

I had a bad one once and I felt nauseous for about two days. I used to love them, but they always make me feel kinda queasy now, unfortunately.

A little Tabasco sauce and they're pretty good. I like eating them with my bloody Mary's.

I one day want to move to a seafood town. I hear rumors that in Maine you get lobster for ~$3 sometimes. Don't know where oysters come from but if you live near the ocean they can be cheap

i pay 1.50 an oyster at a semi fancy place and I live in the midwest

Where the hell are you that they cost that much? London?

Hahaha beat me to it

it's gotta be something like that. i had people visit from switzerland and they were completely amazed at how cheap oysters were and how many we eat in one sitting in maryland. i think it's more of a delicacy over in europe, like you eat one or two with a meal or something like that

>oysters on the half shell

Tuttle power!

Love them. But I live ion the coast, so they're not all that expensive. Plenty of upscale places near me still do $1 oyster happy hours. I don't like them with any sauce or lemon, but if I can't have a glass of white Bordeaux or Muscadet with them for me they're not worth doing.

CAPCHA: Street sign for Arcachon Bay

I like them, but generally only ever have them when traveling.

It seems that most every hotel I go to has a restaurant that for early brunch has an offering of oysters

>yfw oysters for breakfast, along with beef tongue, caviar topped cheese blini , tomato juice and prosecco wine mimosa's

They come from anywhere that isn't absurdly polluted. I live in Louisiana and was a oyster cook for a period of time. It was pretty ok.

half-shell - half-price

fuckin' checked

>6 bucks an oyster
I live in washington DC and even the rare oysters don't cost over 3 dollars.

I fuckin love them, theyre one of my favorite meals.
especially with some lemon juice + tabasco.also eating them indulges [spoiler] a bit of my vore fetish... oops i cant spoiler on Veeky Forums[/spoiler]

Too expensive, though. It's a shame.

Here in Amsterdam they're more snacks in a wine bar kind of thing.
They are also eaten in sea food places (bit better quality)

In bars it's about 1€ per oyster.
I never ate one in a restaurant,

kek