Fail every exam

>fail every exam
>get a B-

How do professors get away with these curves?

Other urls found in this thread:

wolframalpha.com/input/?i=burnside ring
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>6 people in math class
>professor constantly rushes through the lectures
>professor gives two separate retakes for the same midterm because of shit grades
>the content on the take home final is completely different from what was learned in class
>answered only one question on the final before giving up
>get a B
im only a little mad

It is difficult to keep the tuition bux coming when everyone is on academic probation.

>not using wolfram
Why?

wolframalpha.com/input/?i=burnside ring
see what it brings up
the entire final was about burnside rings, not even the 2 textbooks that were assigned even talked about burnside rings

I was the only undergrad in a graduate math class. I fucked up the first exam so badly (not really conceptual errors, just some dumb mistakes). Did really well on the final, he gave me an A- by the grace of God.

thats pretty kick ass

>Was supposed to get a max of a 72 in a class
>Probably closer to mid 60s
>Check final grade
>B

I'm not complaining because it was a gen ed and i didn't care

>americans

B- is bullshit lol, the curve is what it is, and the curve says if you get a B you fucking suck.

>get above a 95 on every exam
>get an A- in the class

REEEEEEEEEEEEE

>Pass every exam
>Don't show up to lecture at all
>Don't do any of the homework
>get a D
I had a class that was graded like this

Isn't a B like to 30% of the class? That's not terrible

>70th percentile
>not terrible

fucking shit, 90th+ is okish, 95% is good. keep in mind most people aren't there for the challenge and don't actually care or matter. your competition is the top people.

>I went to a shit uni, so everyone else must have as well!

Calm down asbergers

yeah homework is bullshit, but what are you gonna do senpai.

This is true suffering, right here

>Be professor
>90% of my life and career is focused on research
>School makes me do this but expects nothing but A's from my students
>School will legit axe murder my family if too many students get D's
>Get some schmuck
>Little shit fails literally every exam
>Fuck it, wanna look good
>Give the shit a B- so he doesn't go hang himself in his dorm at the end of the year
That

>I am shit, so everyone else must be shit too or in shit places

spotted the asian

The professor was a distinguished research professor with tenure. I highly doubt he gave a shit about what the university wanted.

You would assume but you assume wrong. Even tenured professors are pressured into it.

Also define distinguished. If it's simply being publicized in a fancy journal once then eat shit.

College is all about money you twat

you are the reason teh 'Murikan college is shit

Wolfram isn't useful for maths outside of first year.

heheh I'm not a racist, but I lol'd.

Why are curves even a thing?
No University in my country has them, you either have 60%+ score or you fail, period.

>know 20% of the subject
>pass because your colleagues are even more retarded
What the shit

> Why are curves even a thing?
Lazy professors

> exam is 12 questions
> professor knows you only have time to solve 3 of them
allows you to show off, what you know.

I actually have no idea.

I've sat in on exams where the info on the test was just too fucking ridiculous and didn't match the actual course lectures, but there's nothing you can do except power through it as best you can.

I remember studying for 30+ hrs for a solid mechanics final exam and when I finally sat down to take it, I almost cried. Nothing matched the course material or what I studied.

I got a C+. I hadn't received a C+ in four fucking years, since junior year of HS.

Wow, a whole 30 hours? That's like, what, four days?

>not understanding what curves are for
curves exist so that the professor can match up performance on a test to expected performance from an idealized average student

it is perfectly consistent and fair that a professor could decide that an average student, having reached an adequate understanding of the material, would get a 50 on a given exam, and thus set the curve so that a grade of 50 gets a C.

in fact, this is a better approach than assuming the average student will get a 70-80. the standard grading curve is quite sensitive to differences in low grade, because you have the entire range of 0-70 available, but poorly sensitive to high grades. someone who is a genius with a savant-level intuitive understanding of the material and someone who is not all that smart but studies well will get equivalent scores because there's only 30 points available to distinguish the two. if the scale was centered at 50 instead of 75, it would leave more room to distinguish the bright from the blazing

"hehe I'm not racist but I hate niggers!"
you're stupid

You europeans and americans fucking suck, in my uni (U. of Antananarivo), there are absolutely no curves for any circumstance. you can get run over by a car on finals by your own professor and they won't even let you do a retake

> wahhhh im soooo fucking gay and stupid i need a kiss on my boo-boo by my professor!!!
> i need an A!!
> please curve my 23% to 90%!!!

quit being little shits and work for an actual grade

Exams should be designed so that merely understanding the material should net you about 50%, and being able to go above and beyond should net higher grades. Why, then, should a 50% not be a passing grade?

its not about "understanding" the material, its about actually mastering it so good that it goes beyond the testing level

i wouldnt trust a doctor that got all 51's throughout undergraduate classes, even though he technically knows the majority of the material.

knowledge should be mastered, not memorized for testing purposes.

>i wouldnt trust a doctor that got all 51's throughout undergraduate classes
Not even if the tests were written and designed so that any doctor who got a 51 was fully capable of treating any patient?

Does it makes sense to compare grades on individual tests between universities from different countries or is it a pointless exercise?

>>i wouldnt trust a doctor that got all 51's throughout undergraduate classes, even though he technically knows the majority of the material.
You seem to think a test score means "I learned x% of the material" when that isn't what's being described to you, nor is it how tests work.

>has a PhD but still doesn't see the obvious solution.

You axe murder their families before they can ace murder yours. It's hard to axe murder a mans family when you are holding the axed bodies of your children

Curves are fucking retarded sometimes. I feel like if you are planning on curving the course when you make the exams, then you shouldn't be making the exams that fucking difficult that they need to be curved int the first place, or you should be teaching better.

Pressure from SJWs and Radicals, basically.