Visited a local ethnic food store today and got some curry paste and 'me 'cha cause both are cheap there...

Visited a local ethnic food store today and got some curry paste and 'me 'cha cause both are cheap there. Also really cheap dry beans, noodles, rice etc. and generally interesting shit I really want to try.
I noticed the store was stocking MSG as well and was intrigued to buy some. What can I use MSG for and shoudl I even buy it?

Other urls found in this thread:

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19438927
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philosophic_burden_of_proof
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

i was in your same situation one year ago.
first you must understand you put only a pinch of that (more or less half the quantity of salt you will add)
i recommend you try this in a "simple" thing. for example, if you really know how to do scrambled eggs, go for it.

Fucking this. If you're putting a teaspoon of salt in, put in half a teaspoon of MSG.

Don't go full retard and use it like a normal condiment, that's how you get headaches.

>MSG actually gives you headaches

You went full retard user

Kinda figured I would use it very carefully at start
But what is it good for? Everything that salt goes in as well?

> Because it is not proven, it doesn't exist

Just stop

I bought some msg. I'm gonna use it instead of salt in a preparation that I know doesn't give me a headache and I'll let you know how it goes.

I recently got a bag of this too, just added some to my scrambled eggs, roughly 1:1 ratio. I really feel like it was significantly tastier, is this placebo?

1:1 ratio with the salt I added, forgot to mention that

>What can I use MSG for and shoudl I even buy it?

It's a shortcut for umami/savory flavor. You'd use it in any kind of savory dish in place of things like reduced stock, fermented chili or bean pastes, worcestershire sauce, and so on.

Do you get headaches when eating tomatos or drinking miso soup? No? That's a placebo effect.

Whenever I use it I typically halve the salt for a recipe and replace it with MSG

I think someone told me to do that once idk, it seems to be a good rule

>just because its not real doesnt meal its doesnt exist

stop

I do when I eat too much chinese food. Pretty consistently.

logicalfallacy.mpeg

>I do when I eat too much chinese food. Pretty consistently.
That's dehydration from the abundance of salt and sugar. MSG is sodium (which doesn't give you headaches) and glutamic acid (an amino acid that doesn't give you headaches). Drink more water.

I bought a bunch on Amazon for cheap. I use it on stir fry.

Do you get it when you use soy sauce?

Or any of the other multitude of ingredients and food that contain hydrolyzed vegetable protein, which is itself around 80% MSG?

The ONLY sauce of information supporting Chinese restaurant syndrome is an anecdotal letter to the editor of the New England Journal of Medicine.

Subsequent studies have failed to prove any linkage whasoever.

[protip; both tomatoes and miso have an abundance of MSG, but I suppose those are natural and therefore somehow different to identical compounds, at least to your stunted reasoning skills]

tldr; you really have no idea what you are talking about and should stop posting

Oh gee you stupid fucking cunts, here's your fucking science. Here's one double blind study where people report headaches after MSG ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19438927
That was 2010. There has been plenty of research after this that discusses links between MSG and headaches.

Just some basic fucking research will show that the link between MSG and headaches have been known for a few years.

And YES you retards, it IS a logical fallacy to assume that something is false unless proven other. And vice versa. And it is ESPECIALLY fucktarded when you bring science into it because it just emphasises your stupidity even more.

>Just some basic fucking research will show that the link between MSG and headaches have been known for a few years.

We're ready for you to link some, user.

Amd in fact, there is a genetic mutation called TRESK that causes migraines and that reacts to glutamates.

I already linked a 2010 study. I'm not your grad student, just go to scholar.google.com and search for msg and headaches or migraines for more research.

And filter for papers from 2012 onwards.

MSG isn't a salt replacer. It serves a different purpose, similar to salt but not the same.

And AGAIN, why is it that I must have the burden of proof for claiming something while you who is claiming the exact opposite don't have the burden of proof? You have to prove to me that MSG doesn't cause headaches too. Either that or just admit that there is no evidence either way (which there is BTW, as I just showed).

>ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19438927

>MSG is posited to be a cause of migraines of some people who are suffer from them, though the mechanism is unknown

>Using too much MSG WILL give you headaches

These are different claims Mr Scientist.

There are like two studies in the last 10 years on this.

Most likely from hackademics trying to get their (you)s from gullible retards like you.

The bottom line is what is was, and is what I said.

Chinese restaurant syndrome is uncut bullshit and doesn't apply to the general populatuion.

I am profoundly sorry you are a mutant though.

Also, do you get your migraines when you eat miso, soy sauce or tomatoes?

Do other sources of MSG 'trigger' you ion the same way?

The burden of proof falls on whoever claims a relationship exists you dingus.

>the burden of proof isn't on the one making the positive claim

But anyway

>Of five papers including six studies with food, none showed a significant difference in the incidence of headache except for the female group in one study. Of five papers including seven studies without food, four studies showed a significant difference.

Obayashi, Y. & Nagamura, Y. J Headache Pain (2016) 17: 54.

identifies link as spam...

You can be a skeptic and think yourself superior if you want but that doesn't stop you from beinga retard.

What I said was that there are plenty of people who get headaches after eating too much MSG. And it's not because of some psychological reaction because there are double blind studies showing headache reactions to MSG. It's actually physical. I didn't say it happens for all people either but there is a clear link. It's just stupid to be skeptical after this. It just shows tha you are following a thought pattern while not actually thinking.

No it also falls on someone who claims it doesn't exist.

What are you even linking to??

A scientific study by Obayashi, Y. and Nagamura, Y. From page 54 of the 17th edition of some journal in 2016?

You said that if he used too much MSG he would get a headache.

This states a universal relationship between MSG consumption and headaches which doesn't exist.

You then backpedalled to a position where some people susceptible to migraines MAY get headaches from MSG, which is a different claim entirely, while also ramping up the hate train and profoundly misinterpreting the scientific method.

>cannot into academic cditations

Obayashi, Y. & Nagamura, Y. J, Does monosodium glutamate really cause headache? : a systematic review of human studies, Journal Headache Pain (2016) 17: 54.

>Only source you could find that supports your retarded argument is blacklisted as spam
Really makes you think
If there's overwhelming evidence of it being harmless then it's on you to prove the contrary. This shit's on par with those idiots on Veeky Forums who post flat earth threads then go NUH UH YOU CAN'T PROVE IT ISN'T FLAT LALALALALA I'M NOT LISTENING

>Obayashi, Y. & Nagamura, Y. J, Does monosodium glutamate really cause headache? : a systematic review of human studies, Journal Headache Pain (2016) 17: 54.

This citation makes a million times more sense.

No I only started posting from onwards. And implying I want to google citations without titles when the easier way is to link them. Anyway I'll believe the review paper when it says the paper I referenced wasn't properly double blind but it still doesn't show there is no link.

There is no overwhelming evidence. And it could easily be for a subset of population. Also that study was not shown to be spam.
made that up.

Also you're seriously being stupid when you assume MSG doesn't cause headaches when there's no proof it doesn't.

You're seriously being stupid when you assume I'm not Mozart when there's no proof I'm not. Also go fucking read this en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philosophic_burden_of_proof
>When two parties are in a discussion and one asserts a claim that the other disputes, the one who asserts has a burden of proof to justify or substantiate that claim

It's on you bruh

Let me spell this out for you. What I've been saying throughout this thread is that you are asserting that there is no link between MSG and headaches. So you have the burden of proof too.

One, I haven't posted in here until now and two, please go re-examine how the burden of proof works.

>YOU CAN'T PROVE THAT MY DAD DOESN'T WORK FOR NINTENDO LOL

Your sperg rage, baseless assumptions and profound misunderstanding of basic scientific principles is thoroughly amusing my migraine ridden friend. And I will ask again, do other food high in MSG, such as soy sauce, give you headaches?

So far you have dodged this question...

Yeah I keep some on my spice rack. It's nice. I use it in gravy and asian cooking.

In the study you linked they were given 150mg/kg of MSG in a soda. Thats a rediculous amount. It contained more than the recommended daily intake of sodium in one drink, of course that much will give you a headache