Veeky Forums humor thread

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_W._Johnstone
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

ah, blood meridian, monsieur? that novel is the sark and chaparral of literature, the filament whereon rode the remuda of highbrow, corraled out of some destitute hacienda upon the arroya, quirting and splurting with main and with pyrolatrous coagulate of lobated grandiloquence. our eyes rode over the pages, monsieur, of that slatribed azotea like argonauts of suttee, juzgados of swole, bights and systoles of walleyed and tyrolean and carbolic and tectite and scurvid and querent and creosote and scapular malpais and shillelagh. we scalped, monsieur, the gantlet of its esker and led our naked bodies into the rebozos of its mennonite and siliceous fauna, wallowing in the jasper and the carnelian like archimandrites, teamsters, combers of cassinette scoria, centroids of holothurian chancre, with pizzles of enfiladed indigo panic grass in the saltbush of our vigas, true commodores of the written page, rebuses, monsieur, we were the mygale spiders too and the devonian and debouched pulque that settled on the frizzen studebakers, listening the wolves howling in the desert while we saw the judge rise out of a thicket of corbelled arches, whinstone, cairn, cholla, lemurs, femurs, leantos, moonblanched nacre, uncottered fistulas of groaning osnaburg and kelp, isomers of fluepipe and halms awap of griddle, guisado, pelancillo.

Yeah, I actually read the whole thing because I had to. I was entering a prestigious PhD program and focusing on Joyce because I loved Dubliners, Portrait, and Ulysses. To my shame, though, I'd never read the Wake. I'd never even tried, as hard as that was to admit. It was this huge blind spot and area of vulnerability for me. Whenever it'd come up with my colleagues I'd just smile and nod, smile and nod, hoping they wouldn't ask me anything specific about it. "The musicality of it," somebody would say, and I'd say, "Oh God, yes, it's like Beethoven." Finally, though, I had to dive into it, and let me tell you it was tough going. Joseph Campbell's guide helped a lot. Reading it out loud helped. I listened to other people read it, read online commentaries. Eventually it started to make some sort of sense. It was like I was learning to read for the first time again, and in a way this was enjoyable. I got better at reading the book. Soon I was reading entire paragraphs without trouble, getting the puns, laughing at the jokes. I could sort of follow the story, it was like a blurry picture resolving into clarity, or like I was drunk and I was sobering up, I could actually understand it. As I became more and more adept at reading the Wake, I began putting myself to the test, initiating conversations with my colleagues about it, but specific passages this time, specific parts of the book. You can probably guess what happened. After a number of these conversations it became blindingly obvious that I understood the book a lot better than they did, they who I thought were the experts. It eventually became sort of embarrassing for them and I stopped trying to talk about it. And at the end of the day I would pack my things, catch the bus home, and settle into my apartment to read the Wake. It had surpassed all of Joyce's other works in my estimation. Ulysses, the book months earlier I would've named as my favorite of all time, the best book ever written, was now #2 to the Wake. So majestic, so ambitious, so wide-ranging, erudite, glorious, incredible was it that I couldn't believe that it was the work of one man. Best of all, the heart of it isn't complicated at all. What did I get from the Wake, what are its lessons? First of all, be yourself. Second of all, put one foot in front of the other. And lastly, just do it for crying out loud, time's a wastin'!

I think it was a genuine post, and that's more sad than funny.

Are you guys ever too angry to laugh?

I was angry, but then I read your post and laughed.

lmao

It's funny because it's already done.

I remember this thread, what a laugh.

Can someone post the one with the girl yelling CUNT/KANT at user because he decided to leave morally pure?

HAAHHAHAAH HAHAHA
literally lolling out loud laughing

gets me every time

>look at books all day
>Chad looks at Stacey's nudes

Why not both?

>mocking someone for liking Vonnegut, one of the most respected fiction writers of the past century, just because his writing is accessible

You people are arrogant shits.

hello plebbit

i don't think that's all that funny objectively but i did have a pretty good laff reading it

Thanks. I thought he had posted a pic as well but I guess I remembered wrong.

that wasn't funny budd-o

I laughed out loud at the end.

just hover over the fucking spoilers when you take a screenshot

it's not that hard

terribly unfunny

not my screenshot

What, nobody has any lit humor anymore?
Fuck you's all
I bet nobody here even remembers these days

made me kek legit

>both within the last two months
I am disappointed by this board's progression. Veeky Forums needs a hero again.

Memories bring a smile to my heart.

I remember that thread. That "Of course" always gets me.

Not so much funny as it is amusing.

so it goes

That was me.

is this funny? i like it

desu i saved it just for the last line

This happened at one point. I don't remember when or why, but it definitely happened.

>Islamic
>Enlightenment

I am glad to see that some things are still very much the same.

Never forget

I also zoz'd

Why didn't it happen? Shame.

We don't need tripfags.

lmao, I love that site

only newfags will remember this

The advent of /pol/ invading Veeky Forums, and subsequently tumblr doing the same. All that nonsense distracted everyone from non-standard literature and forced the board into "defend Ulysses and burn Ayn Rand"-mode for a while; hence welcoming in people that thought such content was the core of Veeky Forums. Not trying to 'boogeyman' anything or anyone here, that's legitimately what happened.

the brave new world one is not funny, but otherwise A+

One of my all-time favorites.

>I should respect something that other people do purely for the fact that they respect it
FUCKING NORMIE GET OUT
REEEEEEEEEEEE

why is posting the first two pages of richard yates funny.

g2btao

meme harder

Isn't that Dan Simmons? He was a pretty good writer until 9/11 ate the poor fuckers brain.

it's this guy.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_W._Johnstone

The nigga died in 2004. How did he predict America's downfall?

Except Vonnegut is overrated garbage regardless of his accessibility.

Except for the fact that she is a complete and total slut Dagny would make a good wife.