I became an avid reader like three months ago and I can't stop...

I became an avid reader like three months ago and I can't stop. I stopped watching tv and I don't spend much time on Veeky Forums anymore.

Here's how I did it.

-Remember the average person reads like zero books a year. If you read 5 pages a day, you are 5 pages above the average person

-Don't force yourself to read. Commit to read 5 pages a day. I swear after three days you'll feel like reading more and after a month or so you should be reading 50-100 pages a day for pleasure

-Read various books at the same time. When I grab a difficult book or one that makes me sleepy I grab another and switch. This should refresh your head. Keep them thematically different. I read economics and fiction.

-It isn't a race. Reading slowly won't make you sleepy that fast. Try to acknowledge what books are for you to read fast and which aren't.

-Buy the physical copies. When you get the books from your own money you'll feel the need to read them to avoid the feel of wasting your money.

-Start with books highly discussed here so you feel motivated to discuss.

Thanks for the peripheral vision thing senpai. Maybe I'm a pleb for not knowing it already but whatever.

>reading is a competition

Why do people feel the need to use speed reading strategies? Using your peripheral vision hurts your comprehension and appreciation for the writing. Would you watch a TV show at 1.5x speed? Stop thinking of reading as a chore or something to boast about and just enjoy yourself.

This shit isn't that complicated. Eat, piss, put your phone and computer far out of reach, sit in a comfy chair w/ a book and read for x hours.

I only have 58 years left to live before I kill myself. Might as well waste it on speed reading, right? Unless you can give a nice argument for why I should convert to Orthodox Christianity and live according to the Logos.

Why don't you read at a natural pace so you can pick up on nuances, themes, motifs, etc.?

its kind of double edged until you actually start comprehending things quickly

like try ping pong or games like geometry wars

in an analogy would you want to be super slow and appreciate the curve oyu put on the ball. certainly iat first but that gets old. the issue is is people dont read and write enough

found the newfags

unless you are retarded not stopping to internalize every single fucking word isnt going to prevent you from being able to pick up on the motifs and nuances of the book

Check out all these goodreads faggots.

Protip: Nobody fucking cares how many books you can read in a year.

is it copy pasta? its good copy pasta

first time lit

its for yourself user

remember:

you spend HOURS perfecting SPEED READING TECHNIQUES and RUSHING works to increase the QUANTITY of BOOKS you read in a PATHETIC attempt to IMPRESS people on GOODREADS

while CHAD reads at a pace that suits HIM, and allows him to truly APPRECIATE and EXPERIENCE the work

nothing you said made sense, it wasnt even appropriate to the conversation. it just told you how to speed read, which by itself isnt bad. bringing up how it can be overdone is a strawman because nobody was arguing againt excessiveness in any amount

its comprhension skills as well

you PATHETICALLY try to make SENSE

while CHAD eats PIZZA

it's either CHAD IRRATIONALITY or BETA RESULTS

You can't finish the Western Canon by reading at a "natural pace."

yes you can

but why do you want to? Why do you aim to read a quantity?

I love memes so fucking much man.

There is nothing in OP about a competition. It's about improving your ability to read.

Reading is kind of like weightlifting in the sense that you need a certain amount of weight to actually feel the proper technique. Just like you need a certain about of speed to see the book as a whole, and not get lost on individual sentences or words. If you read too slowly you might forget what was going on in the last page, and you can't integrate that knowledge into the next page or two.

you JERKOFF while CHAD eats PIPING HOT DELICIOUS ARBYS

Thanks for the advice, friend

lmao nobody reads so slow they forget what they just read

It's supposed to be good. It's something that used to be posted often because it kept away those terrible "help I can't read a book for 5 pages without going on Veeky Forums" threads. However because it hasn't been posted in a while so those threads are starting to pop up again.

>giving money to any form of books
>not stealing them

You know how many times I've read a paragraph over because I was going so slow I forgot it? Will speed reading help this?

The techniques listed in ops pic should help yeah. Reading too slow is just as bad or worse than reading too fast. You lose comprehension. Ultimately, it's all up to the individual to find the perfect reading speed, but a lot of people who could be reading faster simply aren't aware of these techniques.

I noticed Veeky Forums went downhill a lot sometime last year. I think at the same time as the reddit influx a lot of older people left. I remember a few years ago when people talked about their age the average was maybe 23ish. Judging by the new age consensus threads the average is around 20.

>-Remember the average person reads like zero books a year. If you read 5 pages a day, you are 5 pages above the average person

I do not understand you faggots who treat reading like it's lifting weights. Do you even enjoy reading? It's like you're just doing it because it's something you think you should do.

I've never had to motivate myself to read or think about how to make it enjoyable because I actually do like reading.

>Why do you aim to read a quantity?

Why do you aim to read a paucity?

>Implying people don't enjoy lifting

But they still need motivation to go or start lifting. When you are having trouble understanding a book, or looking up many words reading is not as enjoyable. It takes practice and determination to get to a point where you enjoy it.

I honestly treat reading like lifting weights and the feeling of being 'better read' after finishing a book is pleasurable.

It's vain as fuck but yeah. That's what brings me back to reading.

Veeky Forums has taken it's largest turn for the worse recently, due to the /mu/ influx

I've been here a while, and honestly the whole "reddit influx" was mainly false flaggers and shitposters like myself.

>Don't force yourself to read.
>Commit to read 5 pages a day.

>spewing advice after 3 months
what tv shows did you used to watch user?

>Buy physical copies
Oh no I enjoy reading sheer volumes off my pc screen, regularly burning key passages into my retinas for post lights-out contemplation.

this best be b8 or a genuine shitpost

fuck speed reading

how are you liking Veeky Forums so far, new friend?

It's not vain, there is some scientific backing to support that reading = exercising your cognitive functions. And when you challenge yourself with tougher literature you gain more skill in pattern recognition and understanding. Just like how if you increase weight you get gains. That's why people who read literary dogshit their whole lives get nowhere and aren't much smarter for being an avid reader.

I read slowly.
I subvocalize.
I get distracted.
I don't give a shit about reading faster.
I don't want to stop hearing voices in my head and seeing the characters, and giving them voices, and feeling immersed in a book.
I enjoy my books, I had forgotten how for a while after reading this shit site for long enough, thinking that having the best quip about Pynchon was the way to live.
Fuck that shit. No one I know reads anything anyway. No one cares, if they gave a shit they'd read it themselves. they wouldn't ask me my opinion on it or make me feel like i'm engaging or interesting because I reference this or that. No one's listening. No one is fucking listening. Not even here, they read your words, mimic your thoughts enough so they can parcel out an adequate response so they can go on to talk about what they want to. I'm gonna go fucking wank and read some more. Fuck all of you.

there's a reason why Veeky Forums and Veeky Forums rhyme together

unlike any other board on Veeky Forums

What chapter of game of thrones are you on? :)

never read it, i'm readin saragossa atm.

>Remember the average person reads like zero books a year. If you read 5 pages a day, you are 5 pages above the average person
Does anyone actually believe this? Like, nigga, I read a couple chapters a day, and I don't feel two chapters above the average person.

The average person spends their leisure time on tv, Internet, hanging with friends, or the nightlife. The minority that read choose genre or YA fiction, and read probably 1 author that they follow closely.

>ameliorated vocabulary
stop't reading

If you have something to say, say it. Theatrics mean absofuckinlutely nothing.