Why do people want to appear grown-up and mature?

Why do people want to appear grown-up and mature?

And no memes, I want to really look at why people will go out of their way to shit on good books made for children on here

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vaporwave
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

They, like most people, are the tragic victims of ideology.

Unconscious desire for the opposite sex in a sufficient quantity of their residing habitat to procreate and extend their species in the ultimate goal in insemination of the macrocosm.

Like most things in life, its a problem of balance. The uptight stoic cliche of his time, has been replaced by a hyper-emotional, unreliable wuss, who's embraced the gradual cultural retardation that seems to be the legacy of this period, and the three generations before it.

I also think that, like so many of these types of things, he was reacting to people who were being too self-conscious, or inauthentic. People who wear nothing but trilbies and are afraid to show emotion are about as insufferable at times as Portland-types who act as if they've emerged from a Mumblecore film set.

Or maybe, he was responding to type of person that doesn't actually exist, since everybody's unique and have they're own unique problems, and he just wanted to open his books to the lucrative adult market by giving them a justification.

People want to look mature to be taken seriously by other people and themselves. Would you make a business deal with a man who colours those "adult coloring books" and watches Thomas the Tank Engine?

>want to really look at why people will go out of their way to shit on good books made for children on here
Oh, you're just a YA apologist
>>>/goodreads/

Sorry, I lost the plot half way through that answer and started responding more to the CS Lewis quote, as opposed to your opening remarks.

cultural retardation? What do you mean by that?

The pattern I think is most likely is the commodity that time has become. In fact I just wrote a paper about it. As you can see we just simply see time as valuable now, and that causes people to disregard traditions and follow their habits. I think this is the most devastating and wonderful thing to happen to us, as we have enormous amounts of productivity now and economic power but loss of our own happiness

and you are making business deals irl? Seems to me you're posting on an anonymous forum for people who don't fit in on any other, better sites

This is correct, he was talking about authenticity. Liking children's books to be "quirky" is just as inauthentic as disliking them to be mature.

Why should you, or anyone, be required to take themselves seriously? Why should people not do what gives them pleasure?

>Mumblecore has a Wikipedia entry
What other stupid memes are real?

I don't make business deals, I only tried to give an example.

>Why should you, or anyone, be required to take themselves seriously? Why should people not do what gives them pleasure?
As I said, people want to be taken seriously by other people and themselves, so they act seriously. It's the cultural image of children whose affinities are treated as inferior to the "adult" ones that makes people avoid them. But I didn't say they have to. In fact, I personally like watching Pingu and A je to and I don't give a fuck.

I meant the gradual dumbing of culture that came as a result of education opening its doors to all manner of people, resulting in a change in what does and does not constitute valid art and discourse, and the loss of meaning which erupted from the devastating 20th century conflicts; both of which ultimately resulted in what we have today. Education is kind of screwed due to a loss of faith in authority figures, as well as the huge cut in funds. People now have more faith in things such as YA books because of their transparency, as opposed to a classic from before the great revolution of 1968, which a lot of people are unsure whether they should like it or not due to the fact that it doesn't have the seal of approval of one of the priests of pop culture. I really do think that there are people who will refuse to read a book, because they know that the authority figures they've been taught to hate may have read it as well.

I agree with everything you said, with some reservations.

Nothing wrong with good children's or folk stories.

Insipid trash like Harry Potter is another matter entirely.

You just proved OP's point you idiot. Who gives a fuck about who's into what? It REALLY doesn't matter at the end of the day. Sure, you don't have to like someone but to judge them off what they read or what music they listen, art they're into etc. is complete bullshit. You ain't shit, I'm not shit, we're all nothing. Just enjoy what you do and let people enjoy what they want.

Literally memes
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vaporwave

Don't assume that everyone is of a similarly weak and submissive character as yourself.

Being understanding of others is a virtue, not a weakness.

How ironic.

what are you even implying bud

The opinions of the gentry don't concern me. To be so cavalier in discarding prudence reveals an unsound and womanly spirit.

you're so dumb

think about what you're saying
prudence is knowing to tolerate the opinions of others, i.e, exercising wisdom or common sense
you're using it totally incorrectly. Where did you go to school?

On the contrary, an "unsound spirit" is one which is easily disturbed by trivialities.

You are avoiding making value judgements at all because you're a womanly coward.

what are you referring to, specifically?

He's trolling dude. noone is this retarded.

See
>Who gives a fuck about who's into what? It REALLY doesn't matter at the end of the day.
>Just enjoy what you do and let people enjoy what they want.
>You ain't shit, I'm not shit
This betrays a lack of assertiveness, taste and a fear of passing judgement and making decisions, all of which render one submissive.

why do you feel the need to be masculine? Where does that come from? Is it a biological need? Not any more, our species is doing just fine. We don't even need to evolve any more.

Not him, but lack of assertiveness is merely a sign of humility. Your youthful hubris is nothing new, but as your life goes on you will learn that it leads to nothing good for anyone.

people = kids and YAs
They want to mature to have and do things their parents or otherwise have and do. Rejection of the things of childhood and the family setting are normal and to be largely expected to different degrees because they are the "old" things. Normal growing up stuff, doesn't need any complicated theories or words. You can only know this with hindsight, the bits of your brain needed to understand aren't grown yet and when they are you no longer feel that way anyway and realise why you and others did. .

It's not a "need" in any sense, it is a natural inclination. Weak and soft thinking and behavior sickens me.
Humility is indeed good, but to be humble is not the same as to be submissive, that is in all certainty a modern idea.

ageism

Actually, it isn't an assertion but merely the way you take their behavior. The message you wrote is suggesting there's nothing like mature people, and in addition with the picture that reading children tales isn't something a grown-up person would do. So don't ask yourself “why do people want to appear grown-up and mature?” but instead “why do I think people want to appear grown-up mature?”. You should also question your own competence to spot it. How do you know whether someone is mature or wish to appear mature?

Honestly, you sound like that according to you criticism cannot be anything but the manifestation of one's futile desire to look cultured and wise. What's a “good book made for children”, for example? The “Harry Potter” series? “Eragon”? Fantasy as a whole? Please be precise.

Where did you get masculine in that? They were talking about assertiveness, stop projecting more on to it

concepts like assertion and submission are gender coded and dont pretend like you dont already know that on a baseline level

I know I'm going to regret opening this can of worms but why is assertiveness masculine? Is assertiveness limited to males only?

People want to appear mature and grown-up because they secretly think they are neither, and want others to think they are.

This is doesn't mean you shouldn't act like an adult when you are one, it just means that acting your age shouldn't be for its own sake. You should naturally be mature if you are mature. And if you are mature, there's nothing wrong with enjoying some childish or stupid things, as long as they don't get in the way of you being an adult.

Things that are childish but acceptable: enjoying Disney movies by yourself, reading dumb comic books
Things that are childish but NOT acceptable: listening to Disney music at full blast exclusively while your Disney posters cover the inside of your office, talking all day about how you like Batman and how the only thing you read is comics and Marvel fans can LIKE FUCK RIGHT OFF!!!!

>People want to appear mature and grown-up because they secretly think they are neither, and want others to think they are.

All there is to be said on this topic.

This guy is an example