What are some books about people who are disconnected from humanity/have dissociative tendencies?

What are some books about people who are disconnected from humanity/have dissociative tendencies?
It doesnt necessarily have to be the main point of the book

Other urls found in this thread:

whale.to/b/sp/for1.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

osamu dazai pops into mind, and most of modern japanese lit

The Recognitions

some that pop into the head:

the outsider, by colin wilson
a fan's notes, by frederick exley
lolita, by vladimir nabokov
stuff by fernando pessoa
stuff by charles bukowski

you might benefit from narrowing your question, i feel like most interesting and ecstatic books deal with alienation from other people. check out "a fan's notes" though.

such book doesnt exist. and if it was attempted it would be incomprehensible.

if you think you are holding one such book in your hands it is a fake and you are being fooled.

for something different

this, how can you even ask this? Every fucking meme book and oft repeated title has this as a major theme. All of Mishima, Stoner, Gass, Roth etc etc etc

Are you saying being truly dissociative is inexpressible? That's fallacious, It's truly impossible to know

he is mocking OP. most modern works of literary fiction feature a protagonist set apart.

Oh

Whoosh over my head

but pessoa is autistic
too much in fact

burt camels - the strange guy

The Illuminati Formula Used to Create an Undetectable Mind Control Slave by Fritz Springmeier and Cisco Wheeler

whale.to/b/sp/for1.html

Nausea - Jean Paul Sartre

was just about to post this

No Longer Human

>disconnected

they die if so. on the other hand you seem to be asking about those who do the same thing as others but fool themselves into thinking they are doing different and even worse, that they think they do something on their own.

have a couple of frenchies: un homme qui dort, a rebours.

Notes from Underground

I would go for Hubert Selby Jr.
Last Exit to Brooklyn sounds like something you might want

Osamu Dazai's No Longer Human. Currently reading through his The Setting Sun and it seems to fit the bill as well.

Sylvia Plath's The Bell Jar.

any modern book desu

Steppenwolf by Herman Hesse

I've always enjoyed this part

You have a picture of life within you, a faith, a challenge, and you were ready for deeds and sufferings and sacrifices, and then you became aware by degrees that the world asked no deeds and no sacrifices of you whatever, and that life is no poem of heroism with heroic parts to play and so on, but a comfortable room where people are quite content with eating and drinking, coffee and knitting, cards and wireless. And whoever wants more and has got it in him--the heroic and the beautiful, and the reverence for the great poets or for the saints--is a fool and a Don Quixote. Good...

[left a part out to fit the word limit]

...I took a good look at this so-called life and at my neighbors and acquaintances, fifty or so of them and their destinies, and then I saw you. And I knew that my dreams had been right a thousand times over, just as yours had been. It was life and reality that were wrong. It was as little right that a woman like me should have no other choice than to grow old in poverty and in a senseless way at a typewriter in the pay of a money-maker, or to marry such a man for his money's sake, or to become some kind of drudge, as for a man like you to be forced in his loneliness and despair to have recourse to a razor. Perhaps the trouble with me was more material and moral and with you more spiritual--but it was the same road. Do you think I can't understand your horror of the fox trot, your dislike of bars and dancing floors, your loathing of jazz and the rest of it? I understand it only too well, and your dislike of politics as well, your despondence over the chatter and irresponsible antics of the parties and the press, your despair over the war, the one that has been and the one that is to be, over all that people nowadays think, read and build, over the music they play, the celebrations they hold, the education they carry on. You are right, Steppenwolf, right a thousand times over, and yet you must go to the wall. You are much too exacting and hungry for this simple, easygoing and easily contented world of today. You have a dimension too many. Whoever wants to live and enjoy his life today must not be like you and me. Whoever wants music instead of noise, joy instead of pleasure, soul instead of gold, creative work instead of business, passion instead of foolery, finds no home in this trivial world of ours

I heard about this one:
Notes from Underground, Fyodor Dostoyevksy

Dostoyevsky - Underground Man

Child of God

I will second this. No Longer Human was a pretty good read.

Most of Dostoevsky
Nearly all of Kafka
Sartre's Nausea

thanks for all these recs, i've got a nice list now