What are some healthier alternatives to crackers for thickening soups at the table?

What are some healthier alternatives to crackers for thickening soups at the table?

Ideally stuff you could just toss in without having to cook it.

Bread

Grated parmesan cheese.

Mashed potato flakes, or the good ol' corn starch slurry. You could make a roux on the side also

if you want your soups to be thicker, cook them with a thickening agent. strachy veg like roasted butternut squash or mashed potato in something like a beef stew.

Not everyone wants thick soup though.

OP literally asked how to thicken their soup

I'll use rice, potatoes or leafy greens to body up most soups, I dont really know if we're on the same page though. Spinach is great.

Why would you even want to eat thin soup in the first place?

I don't think I have ever had a good thin soup.

Chicken noodle soup is pretty good when your sick and that's thinner than your personality.

>for thickening at the table.
Not that user but reading posts carefully is bretty goat. You should try it.

is it as thin as your dick?

>chicken noodle soup
>thin

I think you must be making it wrong if it turns out thin.

enjoy your life and don't worry about dumb shit like this, even if you were obese and trying to lose weight this would be a waste of time

Fresh bean sprouts, sliced white onion, whole mint or basil leaves

It exactly "thicken" your soup but will add texture and contrast

Also... tapenade

Well ur mum had no trouble swallowing it last night so it must be.

How can chi' noo' so' be thick? It's basically chicken stock and ramen.

These famb

>It's basically chicken stock and ramen.

So you are making it wrong then.

This is the first image that pops up when you google "chicken noodle soup". As you can see it is not thin but hearty.

Yeah, but the liquid base is still a thin liquid. When I think of thick soup I think of something like vegetable soup which has a thick overall consistency. Not a thing soup with thick chunks in it.

Sort of like the difference between milk and cream.

Honestly, just make it as thick as you want it and put a jug of hot water on the table. Let the plebs water it down if they want to.
If we continously pander to plebs then we can't evolve as a species.

But if the soups broth being thin is the definition of thin then adding crackers will not thicken it unless you grind them into powder. You would just be adding chunks into a thin soup.

But the cracker crumbs dissolve into the liquid, making the liquid thicker.

I dunno. I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on what we each consider to be a thicc soup.
Crackers sure do love it thicc.

Okra, file powder, corn starch, arrowroot, demiglace, gelatin, agar-agar, roux, potato starch, heavy/double cream; all come to mind just off the top of my head. Those can all thicken soup (although okra wouldn't really work at the end of cooking time, it takes some time to work its way in).

Beurre manie is another option if you're a fatass, too. Was just looking through a book of mine and remembered it. Basically blend flour and butter 50/50, whisk it in a little at a time.

In my opinion it's usually preferable to thicken by reduction, but this isn't usually possible with soup because you'll cook everything into mush, so reduce the stock you're using before you make your soup instead. Problem solved before it even arose.