Is being a highschool teacher a joke? Or is a a good job? I've always liked the idea teaching...

Is being a highschool teacher a joke? Or is a a good job? I've always liked the idea teaching. Do u also need to have a high GPA?

>Is being a highschool teacher a joke?
depends
>Or is a a good job?
no
Do u also need to have a high GPA?
no

Teaching to a bunch of idiots who fucking hate school and teachers and are only there because they are forced to sounds like hell. Nobody respects high school teachers, I sure didn't when I was a teenager brat.

Depends on the school.

I would love to be an AP science and math teacher at a top private school where the average SAT score is above 2000.

I would hate having to teach remedial arithmetic to inner city niglets.

Those who can't do.Teach.

>t. Underage

What do we need science & math for? Objectively justify them.

Because "niglets" have high potential if they're disciplined sufficiently, problem is, you only need a few and the rest need to hurry up and die.

BTW not saying science & math aren't important, they are, but nowhere near as important as the verbal/creativity iQ uses (understanding & craeting philosophy).

Those who can't criticalpost, funpost.

In my experience, those who can teach can do far better than those who cannot teach.

My brother was an econ teacher at a sixth form and he enjoyed it, though he was teaching A level which isn't compulsory so the students actually give a shit
if you're a charismatic person, then you'll do well in highschool teaching, if not then no oxford degree or whatever will help

This.

Source: recently taught high school math

My recommendation: don't be a teacher but if you must, ONLY teach at private schools, academies or only high level math classes. Otherwise you'll have the brainlet punk-ass kids who hate math and don't want to be there.

>Implying children at private schools want to be there either
The only difference is their parents have more money.

By high school level those children are more likely to have been beaten into submission to engage in the material as their parents are more likely to have high expectations.

So it's not the only difference.

Can confirm. I was in private school and my life and never give a shit.

The only people who did were the asians (not even all of them) and a handful of other people whose parents were specially strict. Everyone else was just hanging there. IGCSE and A/AS Levels are compulsory anyways.

>good job
by what metric? My cousin teaches HS. Depending on the district, you can make a very decent salary if you teach and coach a sport (my high school gym teacher and swim coach made 150k). Nobody gets more vacation than teachers, and the work is hardly demanding. Also, depending on how cynical you are of children, you might even enjoy working with them.

I wouldn't do it, but it's definitely not the worst thing in the world.

if I was teaching AP physics and AP Chem at my old HS that would be pretty fun. Those teachers only taught AP classes that were not required at all. All the students voluntarily signed up (including me).

I would make the class hard as fuck for the first semester so all the dweebs drop. Then be chill the rest of the year as long as a student picks me up some chick fil a

>this really happened at a HS in north texas

depends on the school and the teacher

i mean there are always quite, but good students who are actually interested.

plus you see all the kids develope.

good teachers have to make stuff understandable, but also make you work. balance between "friend" and hardass. the best teachers i remember were tough, but fair.

imagine it being like a boss. people gernerally won't be pleased to see you, but .. i guess you wouldn't expect that as boss.

Depends. I went to a specialized high school in NYC- if I was to become a teacher, I'd want to be working in one of those. From what I hear about other non-specialized schools, being a teacher is basically hell there. So if you're going to become one, move to New York.

It depends. I had about three years in the industry before I said fuck it and went to be a high school biology teacher.

I got paid like 80k starting. I was getting 45 in the industry.

It all really depends on you and where you work. In NJ there is a desperate need for STEM teachers who don't actually suck dick and we have strong unions here.

I always tell my students that if you're going to university that this class is going to be like university and you can call me by first name if you feel so inclined. I think it can be very rewarding to see a student you taught get into an ivy or do well on the AP test. The politics around the school suck dick though.

Unless you're at a private school, but you mostly need an Oxbridge degree to teach at those anyway.

idk about the US, but every private school teacher I've heard about in the UK has an Oxbridge degree

Once you've lived and are bored with your work become a high school teacher
It will remind you how pathetic the new age is

I'm an English teacher, so maybe I don't really have the right say as such, but it is as I've been told by general mathematics and science teachers

>plus you see all the girls develope.
fix'd

Don't disagree. Of the few STEM grad students I've come across who wanted to teach high school, they all went to prep schools. Makes sense: better pay, more involved students, better environment. They seem to stick with it.

On the other hand, I have yet to meet a single STEM grad student who would teach at an inner-city public school. And, of the kids who have done Teach for America (a mix of STEM and non-STEM undergrads), not a single one has wanted to keep teaching -- anywhere, at any level.

>And, of the kids who have done Teach for America (a mix of STEM and non-STEM undergrads), not a single one has wanted to keep teaching -- anywhere, at any level.

I should add, these are people that I know. So, obviously not a fair sample, so take that for what it's worth.

High school is where failures end up, just look at Walter White, see how messed up his life was?

I'm a teacher in Australia. I could give you some advice.

Only teach STEM subjects, that's where the money is. (I teach VCE Maths, Physics, Systems Engineering, Computing, Software Development) I teach at a private school and make $60k a year. Don't teach Humanities/Arts Subjects (History, Geography, English, etc). They make substantially LESS than STEM teachers.

If you can, try to only teach Levels 11-12. Usually kids drop out if they don't want to be in school in year 10. Teaching lower year levels is a pain in the ass, cause they're always loud and yelling.

>this thread

The American education system is kinda fucked on the lower end innit

American? More like the west's.

The entry requirements for teaching is one of the lowest of any uni courses. Basically those who do teaching are the ones who weren't smart enough to get into anything else. Calling them professionals is a stretch.

He's right and it's because in Teach for America they put you in the shittiest schools. No one who starts that way is going to want to continue teaching. The daily discipline issues will make you hate the job and resent the students.

Teacher may be a good thing but High School teacher sucks. You end up studying way more than you need for your job and over half of your class doesn't give a shit about your lessons.