What's the best kind of non stick pan out there. What does Veeky Forums use...

What's the best kind of non stick pan out there. What does Veeky Forums use? I heard ceramics are a bitch to maintain and teflon will fuck you up good.

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Tramontina-Professional-Restaurant-Fry-Pan/dp/B009HBKQR0/ref=sr_1_1?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1473787440&sr=1-1&keywords=tramontina
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

they all work well for the first couple months. then they lose their slickness and food starts sticking.

even if i baby them by using low heat and soft wooden utensils.

just get a carbon steel pan and a can of cooking spray.

Cast iron. Thank me later.

Any department store.
You don't want the cheapest one because you're better than that.
But you don't want the most expensive one either because you don't to want get ripped off.
So that just leaves the two options in the middle, and the more expensive of the two simply HAS to be better than the cheaper one, right?
THAT'LL DO.

Buy the cheapest and get a new one when the teflon wears out.

I just started off by buying a cheap one and learning how to care for that one. Then I got a cast iron after learning some basics for care.

I get the $20 made in france teflons, which last about 2 years with care.

>What does Veeky Forums use?

One from a restaurant supply store, like Tramontina or Alegacy/Eagleware. Before I discovered these I was getting about a year out of the standard stuff like T-fal. I get about 2-3 years out of the Eagleware, and that's with using it 2 or 3 times a day, cooking for several people.

>Buy the cheapest and get a new one when the teflon wears out
Bullshit, dept store pans are ALL shit
Buy something of quality that the real pro's use
amazon.com/Tramontina-Professional-Restaurant-Fry-Pan/dp/B009HBKQR0/ref=sr_1_1?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1473787440&sr=1-1&keywords=tramontina
I have some that are 8+ years old and still work like new (home use)
If you want to blow your wallet up for top shelf quality that will look good in your kitchen go all-clad brand.

I forgot to mention that another benefit of these is that they're much thicker than department store pans so they heat much more evenly and are less likely to warp. Not to mention they are oven-safe.

user above beat me to the post, but again restaurant quality non-stick is 100 times better than whatever dept store gimmick "bullshit they are pushing this year - and they don't cost much more either

What's funny is that they are so much better than the high-end brands too. I once had a Calphalon nonstick pan that listed for well over $100. It didn't last any longer than the cheap stuff. But the commercial restaurant store ones blow 'em all out of the water.

Me again
I have 1 12in All-clad non stick that lists for $170 on amazon now, but I almost never use it anymore after I picked up some Tramontina years ago. Those I use every day, day after day and they still rock.

>What does Veeky Forums use

Stainless steel.

If things are sticking to it, then I'm probably doing it rong.

Is there such a thing as an enameled cast iron pan without coating on the cooking surface? I don't want to season the whole goddamn pan.

>I don't want to season the whole goddamn pan.

New cast iron pans are pre-seasoned but even if you get an antique, all that's required to season it is to fry up some food in it.

not that I've ever seen. I'm not sure what the point is though. The outside of the pan only needs the most simple of seasoning because it doesn't see any food contact.

>teflon will fuck you up good
scaremongering/10

Yes enameled cast iron exists.

It's also less functional than "raw" cast iron because the enamel doesn't perform as well as straight up seasoning.

Enameled cast iron makes more sense for a dutch oven. For a frying pan just get a regular cast iron or carbon steel pan and don't worry about it.

Anyone got a recommendation for specific brand of carbon steel pan?

Truth/10 unless you like your eggs to have the consistency of sponges.

Buy whatever you think you can afford. Non-sticks don't last forever like other pans, and you'll end up replacing them eventually even with proper maintaining.

>get cheap Paula Deen ceramic cookware after the whole fiasco
>Over 3 years ago and stuff still wipes out like nothing

They have started to discolor a year ago and based on usage, but eggs turn out perfect and I can still make perfect rice.

Honestly, I don't maintain them. You're suppose to oil them every so often, but the natural cooking seems to do a fine job.

I meant why don't they just make an enamel coating on the surfaces except the one us use for cooking. That way you only have to season a small part of the pan. As far as I know all enamel cast iron has enamel on the cooking surfaces.

Carbon steel. Have a 10.8" De Buyer, a cheap carbon wok and two cast iron pans. That covers all my cooking for the most part.

What could possibly wrong when two completely different bonded materials expand and contract at different rates?

The same problems you get with regular enamel cast iron pans. They all get cracks anyways. But It'll matter even less when the cooking surface isn't coated with crack filled enamel.

I have a cast iron grill pan that fits this description. I'm willing to bet there are regular pans that are made the same way.

Are scanpans good or a scam? Is using metal utensils on them as bad as using metal on a Teflon pan? Is using them on high heat a bad idea?

The only thing I've ever used a nonstick pan for is eggs, and that's because I'm lazy. I bought a cheap ceramic pan a few years ago and it hasn't failed me yet, but I rarely fry eggs so that's not saying a lot.

My younger brother has a whole set of ceramic pans that he uses for everything, and they've held up well for the last 3 years he's had them. Just have to make sure not to use metal utensils because the ceramic will chip easily if you do.