Cheaper alternatives to oxtail for making soup?

cheaper alternatives to oxtail for making soup?

how cheap is beef neck?

Other urls found in this thread:

i.warosu.org/ck/thread/7722451
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Chicken carcasses, shrimp tails, and steamer clams.

penis

gizzard nipples are your best bet.

inb4 "hipsters" made it expensive and op was eating it before it was cool

is tough flavorful meat that requires low and slow cooking bad, or good?

as in, are white hipsters only pretending to like it and you have to be brown to Truly Appreciate™ it?

or, was it good all along and race mixing is what makes America great?

make up your minds, Veeky Forums

korean grandma made it for me almost every weekend growing up.

she was 5'5.

i am 6'3 (also my dads family is nordic)

just want another recipe to remind me of home since im going to college almost 200 miles away from home

>are white hipsters only pretending to like it and you have to be brown to Truly Appreciate™ it?

There's a ton of flavour in connective tissue and fat. You brown it right and slow cook it you make a stock you can't buy. It's not hipster in the least, it's proper cooking.

it's hipster shitheads driving up the price

Beef neck isn't nearly as tasty.

How much is shortrib where you live? In my area, not only are they paradoxically cheaper than oxtail ($5.59 v $6.29) to begin with, but they actually go on sale every now and again while oxtail never does. On sale, I've gotten specials of short rib 3lbs for $10.
Try that, maybe.

I bought some oxtail for stew. I usually make it with veal shank hopefully I have not made a terrible choice. Veal is so fatty and delicious though.

i cant remember exactly but i live in a really hippy liberal place so all of those nu male cucks who love korean bbq are driving up the price.

i want to say beef shortrib is 5.99-6.99

>since im going to college almost 200 miles away from home
>200 miles

Just drive home for dinner when you start crying from being so so far away, you big baby.

tongue is still cheap as fuck, it's a lot like brisket once you get the outside part off

been experimenting with heart too

any muscle that gets a lot of use will do well with similar cooking methods

>nu male cucks

honestly, when you type like this, you just sound like an adolescent. Find other words to describe assholes.

Beef Shin Bones.
they have good meat on them too.

i mean i understand how "cuck" has become the new "retarded" and i understand why you would dismiss me as being an asshole for using this word but i can honestly not think of a better term to describe them. i'm not entirely convinced you dont immediately know what im referring too either so your agitation with me using this word is kindof confusing to me.

that is, unless you are honestly defending the type of poser yellow fever having "know it all" about everything pretending like they know how to cook by paying for overpriced shit and driving up the price bragging about how they know the best spot in town and talking about how they get girls all the time but you never see while they try to act like bullies from school but cower down around anyone bigger than them

you know, nu male cucks

Flank, then?
On paper, it's more expensive than oxtail (in my area, $8.49), but when you consider that it has no bones compared to oxtail's weight being roughly half bone, it turns out to actually be cheaper.
To mimic the silken texture of soups made from oxtail, you can add beef knee. They're usually $2-$4 each. A 3lb knee + 3lb flank ≈ 6lbs of oxtail and would set you back around $28.47. Compare that to 6lbs of oxtail ($38.34). Sounds like a lot of money, but that amount makes about a gallon/4 litres of soup, which is roughly 8-11 servings or so, costing around $2.59-$3.56 per. And the stock and meat both freeze nicely.

well.. At least you've thought about it.

London's don't get enough love. It's a pretty lean cut, but works really well in slow cooked stews. Fall apart texture if done correctly.

Shut the fuck up.

And there it is. Child.

holy shit that broth looks incredible.

would totally be worth the temporary hypertension.

is that just basic red wine beef stew with oxtails and a little flour/cream to thicken the soup

Friendless faggot.

Yeah, you can find the archive here.
i.warosu.org/ck/thread/7722451

The best stock and broth and browning always happens inside a ceramic coated cast iron pots. It's because they deglaze perfectly.

>t. faget

>looks for penises in everything
>calls others gay
user...

>i.warosu.org/ck/thread/7722451
reminds me that I need to make my oxtail stew now that I'm feeling better

>cheaper alternatives to oxtail
This fucking combination of words pisses me off.

Stick with oxtail

Do you think I could beg one of the local mexican butchers to sell me bones and organs and shit? I've been to shy and anxious to ask them. I don't even feel comfortable as the only white person in the shop. There are literally no white butchers in my city.

I can find beef shoulder on sale around here for less than $3/pound.

I'll often make stew out of it.

Veggie spread is typically leek, onion, potato, celery, and carrot.

Getting over a case of the Monday's?
I'm chronic; everyday is just terrible.

wear business attire and a trench coat, tell them you are with homeland security and need to see everyone's paperwork immediately
When they all scatter like roaches, take whatever you want

In this economy they own farms, I promise

Unless they're allergic to money they'll give you what you want. Just be ready to explain in very basic English what it is you're looking for, as they may not initially understand what you mean.
I speak a bit of Spanish, and when I went to my local Mexican deli, and when I told them I wanted chicken feet I clarified that I was looking for pies de gallo, chicken feet, and then I had to explain it to one of the clerks that spoke good English, and she told to the other lady that I was looking for zapatos, or the shoes! apparently that's the colloquial term for chicken feet around here. You learn something new every day.

Tongue isn't cheap where I am; I saw that shit for $5.99/lb the other day and I actually went to the counter and asked them what the fuck was going on. Apparently people are catching on to tongue, too. Yeah I'm mad.

Good thing heart is still cheap, that's one of my favorite cow bits. I need to make anticuchos soon.

The old mexicans at my old restaurant used to call chicken strips "pollitos", essentially, "little chickens".

Particularly if you're in South Texas, you'll get a weird mixture of spanglish that gives you things like that, as well as "napkinitos"...little napkins, apparently.

>cheaper alternatives to oxtail for making soup?

Buy bones for making the stock, then buy chuck or whatever other stewing cut is cheap for the meat in the soup.

Shank is a good option too.

>cheaper alternatives to oxtail for making soup

Oxtails used to be cheap as hell, especially when only black people ate them. Now they're gaining in popularity and their prices are soaring

I'd think they'd appreciate any business they could get

agreed. i go to all the """ethnic""" grocers and butchers around town and they're all incredibly kind and helpful to me without exception

this no question.

i go to many """"ethnic"""" grocers and butchers around town and they're all incredibly kind and helpful without exception

oops

bone in chuck or beef hocks (for dat delicious marrow)

suck these quads

you suck alright

In the Philippines we call chicken feet ADIDAS. It's a lot easier to remember.

>beef neck
shouldn´t be expensive at all, in my cunt is what converted would be $1,33USD the kilo, $1.55 boneless but you want the bones for this.

>Double posting
Stop posting and lurk more

Second for beef shortrib. Get the packs with the least meat, even better at the butcher counter pickout the least meaty ones, good stock base.

But i also like Korean style marinated for grilling, then you get the meaty ones, good deal, also try an asian mart.