I don't get it. Why is this considered good?

I don't get it. Why is this considered good?

Other urls found in this thread:

discord.gg/01016TZPAPULpxT67
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

this meme is fucking retarded, can you faggots please actually read this book before keeping up this insanely hip and trendy meme

O Brother Where Art Thou is good for the same reasons.

it's really really complicated, so people assume that it must be good

Cause it sucks, and some people enjoy a feeling of superiority by claiming they really 'get' it and that everyone else is beneath them

It's just a meme, m9

No it's not, and that movie's mediocre.

You are beneath me.

I'll be honest, I'm trying to read this right now, and I'm struggling. I understand the Odyssey parallels, but mostly I just wish I had thought to pick up a version with notes. I've read The Dubliners and I fucking loved it.

>I'm struggling
Ya, this is your problem. Just fucking read it. Don't sperg out with your notepad and get frustrated for no reason. Just read it.

reading group on this server is currently on episode 7, if you're interested in reading/discussing:

discord.gg/01016TZPAPULpxT67

But then aren't I missing so much of what he's actually doing in the book? If the rest of his work is any indication, 90% of his narrative takes place between the lines.

the only people who will post in these threads are people who don't like it or think its good.

there's plenty of great scholarship out there OP go to that instead of asking Veeky Forums. honestly there's just no reason that its bad so theres that.

I mean, who gives a fuck? Especially your first time. Enjoy it. You have a small infinity of secondary literature to read after if you really want. And rereads. This seems to be a core problem here where people mong out about incoherence and missing details. There just is no need for the anxiety. It bothers me most when people are reading Ulysses, where the prose is already so beautiful.

I was talking about the Coen brothers film.

I guess it's the student in me, I'm still an undergrad... so I've been reading things comprehensively for the last couple of years. That's some helpful advice tho, I do tend to strain myself when something I'm reading isn't clicking. I'm typically just a really perceptive type of person so I guess when I feel stumped I feel a li'l bit of self-doubt and it makes moving forward hard. Definitely hurt me on starting gravity's rainbow.

No shit retard

Well the user who responded to me obviously didn't catch that.

He clearly did though.

Dont listen to this idiot, some of it is tough, but don't gloss over it too much. You've read dubliners, so you know to a point Joyce's initial style with the book. I don't wanna advise going too quickly because you might find yourself thoroughly confused down the line.

I would agree with user on some the latin or italian sections, sperging about that isn't worth it. Even that one section in Wandering Rocks that's like all italian, don't fret too much over that. It's pretty much inconsequential to understanding the rest of the book. Glean what seems important and move on, but the thing with Joyce is that things that seem really unimportant are what become almost throughlines for the book. It definitely makes for a better second reading, but the innocence of the first reading is an experience to be cherished.

It seems like a fun enough read from what I skimmed.

Finnegan's Wake though, I get down to "Kek Kek Kek" then close the book in laughter since I'm pretty sure that's the summary right there.

He responded by saying some movie was mediocre while I was talking about O Brother Where Art Thou by the Coen Bros.

Perhaps if someone can shed a light on what the fuck he was talking about, we can end this meme right here and now.

I didn't tell him to gloss over it, that's merely an assumption of someone braindead. He should just read it the first time. There's no reason to have paroxysms of anxiety over not understanding something. There's a fuckload of secondary lit to read if you want. And this is all before subsequent reads.

It's cute that you think OBrother is something more than mediocre, but, there's no need to continue the charade user.

you a dumb nigga

original poster here. O Brother Where Art Thou by the Coen Bros is a mediocre movie.

t. /tv/ poster who watches kino exclusively

nah. you.
That user said o brother was mediocre. That's it. Your only move here is to say he couldn't be talking about that movie because you think it is not mediocre. Stop being a ponce.

between the both of you I get that I shouldn't worry too much my first time, while obviously remaining cognizant of the nuances. You've both been really helpful.

you got the wrong nigga, nigga. I'm a third party.

You're retarded if you don't think the form of the novel occludes the action taking place. If you don't take a second to figure out what the protocol of each episode is, or know Bloom's preoccupations, you're going to miss out on some content of the episode. Continuing through the book and expecting it to all of a sudden click is the attitude of a spoiled SJW that expects to be catered to. Ulysses must be thought about and analyzed as it is read, otherwise you walk away with a stilted comprehension and a couple of random quotes.

EVERYBODY SIT DOWN AND TAKE YOUR PANTS OFF

I understand that's what you think, you're just wrong about that. You need to be pretty fucking stupid to not pick up on the meta-commentaries surround story structure woven throughout the film.

Show some respect, you anti-intellectual pleb piece of shit

All I can say here is, no fuck. I didn't tell the guy to fucking read it like Tai Lopez. I assume people actually do this already on a first read.

>Finnegan's Wake
It's Finnegans

Thanks

Every Coen brothers film I've watched is overrated shmaltzy shit