/sffg/ - Science Fiction and Fantasy General

Cyberpunk edition

What's your favorite Cyberpunk book/story? Is anyone still writing it? Why has every other subgenre tacked "punk" on the end of its name?

Previously: boards.Veeky Forums.org/lit/thread/8086364/sffg-scifi-and-fantasy-general

Other urls found in this thread:

i.imgur.com/3v2oXAY.jpg/
i.imgur.com/igBYngL.jpg/
i.imgur.com/uykqKJn.jpg/
i.imgur.com/A96mTQX.jpg/
i.imgur.com/r55ODlL.jpg/
i.imgur.com/gNTrDmc.jpg/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Shit.

I swear to God, if anyone says Snow Crash...

WHY YOU DON'T LIKE THE 'ZA?

Can anyone remind me of that one novel that was about a murder mystery in the singularity age? Altered Carbon?

But it is. I really unironically enjoyed Snow Crash when I was unironically 16, which is the proper age to enjoy a literature based on the paranoia that Reagan, Thatcher, and Sony were going to turn the world into a slum. Snow Crash is an absolutely perfect example of cyberpunk: the permanight that justifies black leather all the time, the grey morality that allows characters to unleash mayhem without guilt, and the extrapolation of late 20th-century themes ad absurdum. Snow Crash wasn't too dumb to really be cyberpunk; the other works were too smart.

Down and Out in the Magic Kingdom was like that.

I'll have to check that out (future Disney/theme parks are my favorite) though I'm thinking it was a little older.

Has anyone read Accelerando? I got it for $1 at a used book store.

Am I retarded for not really understanding this book? I mean I enjoyed it but all the metaphysical shit about dying and life and names kind of flew over my head

I've read Neuromancer and Snow Crash, both were complete garbage.

Anything that combines science fiction and horror in an interesting way? I've burnt myself out on religious/mythology horror like demonic possession, witches, and too many shitty ghost stories to count.

There's always Lovecraft

GRRM does this in a lot of his short stories.

I've went through most/all of Lovecraft's stuff, even the Reanimator shorts which really wasn't as bad as people make it out to be.

But I'd definitely be down for more Lovecraftian work, I just never paid attention to who continued the mythos.

Read Sandkings by GRRM. It's short, well written and absolutely bone chilling. That last line stuck with me for months.

>That ending.

Shit man that really was good, thanks for the suggestion.

I just finished the Night Angel trilogy

What do I read now?

Should I read Stormlight Archive or the second Mistborn trilogy first or does it not matter?

Eschew both and read Lud-In-The-Mist.

Two separate planets, doesn't really matter. Although the whole universe is supposed to come together in some book that will come out in like 2030.

How can you type with those tiny ass T-Rex arms, dinosaur-san?

i'll chalk it up in the backlog
yeah that's sort of what I heard, wasn't sure if they would be connected in some small way

Read Stormlight then Mistborn 1 then 2

Beware of the feminist bullshit in all of those books

I already read the first Mistborn trio
I'm not sure having female characters is "feminist bullshit"

It's not about having female characters it's that the female characters are all feminist bullshti ideology filled bullshit I don't know why the author is trying to brainwash everyone with the ideology agenda feminism but he is
But I suggest Stormlight Archives before reading the 2nd mistborn era

Sanderson is a gay hating Mormon, not exactly a feminist.

The first books have nothing of the sort. No "gurl power" bullshit, no evil strawmen being sexist to her, no incompetent male characters, lots of generic hetero romance.

The second era definitely has poisoning I did finish the first book but never progressed further than that, I could just feel my brain telling me I'm being poisoned and brainwashed by agenda ideology I think it's feminism

You're being "poisoned" by the idea that men and women are equal?

No I'm being poisoned and brainwashed by an ideology agenda it's fucking clear as day how are you blind to it or are you too far gone already

It's inevitable for a writer to incorporate his ideas and beliefs into his work. If you were reading John C Wright you would still be poisoned and brainwashed, to put it in your terms, just by /pol/ ideology and agenda instead of sjw.

You're safe from both and can enjoy both authors as long as you think with your head.

Sanderson doesn't rite his female characters for some feminist agenda, it's just he only knows how to write one very shallow female character who just happens to dovetail with a lot of feminist horseshit.

The entire world of Mistborn is a metaphor about Germany just like Elantris is a metaphor about Israel
It's fucking clear as day he points it out almost every chapter in some ways some clearer than others

You could easily solve this problem by not reading Sanderson in the first place and reading some good sff like Peake or Wolfe instead.

I don't think good means boring user.

It's only boring to you because you're probably an ADHD riddled millennial incapable of processing a novel that doesn't have anime swordfights and ebin explosions.

I couldn't make it through one of Peake's books even with ADHD medications, they are boring as fuck

You'll see things differently after you grow ball hair.

If anyone can read Swelter's introduction in Titus Groan and not think its great then they are pure unadulterated pleb. Its not even a debate.

>GRRM doesn't capitalize God even when he's referring to the Abrahamic one.

But god isn't a name, it's a noun

>what are proper nouns

Don't you mean
>What are proper Nouns

If you want to be autistic about it then technically it should be G-D or YHWH.

>G-D

>ending

Pretty spooky desu

SC I can maybe understand, but why didn't you like Neuromancer? What's better in the cyberpunk genre, to you?

>What's your favorite Cyberpunk book/story?

Probably Snow Crash. It was just amazing, an amazing experience

Prose was often complete nonsense.
Plot is generic 80s action movie.
Characters are bland.
The cyberpunk aesthetic is done better in Ghost in the Shell and Deus Ex making this ran over by time.
Everything in cyberpunk in novels isn't something I'd write home about.

Giving special grammatical status to a Levantine storm god is retarded as fuck, son.

Kinda the point.

>Waaah I don't like how english works bwaaaaa

No self-respecting writer should refer to the Abrahamic God as "god" without a capital G. IIRC most mainstream dictionaries spell the word with a G.

What? All characters are people of their world. You don't expect women on Roshar with all its brutality and stone and storms and giant flipping crabs to be like women on earth and adhere to feminism bullshit ideology, or Vin in Scadrial with all its depressive society and atmosphere and with all her mistborn powers to be some shitty woman just because autists like you don't like feminism.

I honestly like Stormlight Archive. It's my favorite ongoing fantasy series and all female characters are believable and genuinely motivated. I don't know why would you say stupid stuff like that, user. Go check yourself.

Why does fantasy specifically seem to attract so many SJ- err... neoprogressive types?

It's all got to be about non-european culture or female protagonists or anything that caters to an agenda nowadays. Are they as prevalent in, let's say, Sci-Fi and I simply fail to notice them because I don't get as involved in the genre as I do with fantasy? Does fantasy really have something that attracts this kind of people? Is it just an uncanny coincidence?

Fantasy and Sci-Fi has been pretty much nothing but "white men going on adventures" since forever and a day, call it a balancing act.

And you should seriously stop worrying about this stupid shit

Christcuck detected.

>Why does fantasy try to be imaginative?

>And you should seriously stop worrying about this stupid shit
You might tink I'm /pol/, but I fucking love non-European, non-Japanese fantasy as long as the book is focusing more on exploring a refreshing new setting than articulating political platitudes tho.

I dont care what you are, just read better books.

The people who keep complaining about """SJW"""" shit are really just going out of their way to look for it, especially in a range such as wide as fantasy novels.

>The people who keep complaining about """SJW"""" shit are really just going out of their way to look for it

I think I just drew a dumb conclusion from a shit sample size (some article about feminism in fantasy on a Gawker-owned website, two unironic cucks and the occasional cuck on Veeky Forums) like the autist I am desu

Not really, see Fifth Season who won that hugo thing. It's apparent in all the new 'big' things

I hate seeing fantasy books described as having "East Asian" or "Egyptian" or "Aztec" settings when it goes no deeper than the names and maybe the clothing. Especially when fake China or Egypt get praised for diversity.

>two unironic cucks and the occasional pretend-cuck on Veeky Forums

How do I make myself proofread before posting

is the Broken empire series any good? (prince of thorns, king of thrones etc)

The world sounds like it could have alot of potential but i had a peek through the book and it seems like it tries pretty hard to be edgy. Lots of people seem to love it though...

No it isn't. It's "popular" because it's the average edgy wish fulfillment stuff with no real substance that appeals to masses.

damn shame to hear, i'm actually looking for a book exactly like is describing in the previous thread but i would like some more action rather than law. Does anyone have any recs?

Im also checking out all of the previously recommended books in the previous thread

The Blade Itself

Night Angel Trilogy

Gay - Check
Rape - Check
Incest - Check
Cuckolding - Check

Garbage - Check

Is he right lads

3 fucking tries. Jesus dude

I rarely crosspost because I don't tend to frequent multiple boards, of course my first attempt at it will be shit.

>The prophecy tells that one day some hack will write an incestuous gay rape, uniting the three elements
In Red Rising series a brother used to rape his little bro, turned him into a sexual fiend.

WHERE ARE THE FUCKING RECOMMENDATION CHARTS

WE PUT THOSE IN THE OP FOR A REASON YOU FAME HUNGERING CUNT

>WHERE ARE THE FUCKING RECOMMENDATION CHARTS

just read sanderson bro

That's hot but it won't get me to read that meme trash

copy and pastad from the last, someone put them into the next one again:

>Fantasy
Selected: i.imgur.com/3v2oXAY.jpg/
General: i.imgur.com/igBYngL.jpg/
Flowchart: i.imgur.com/uykqKJn.jpg/
>Sci-Fi
Selected: i.imgur.com/A96mTQX.jpg/
General: i.imgur.com/r55ODlL.jpg/ / i.imgur.com/gNTrDmc.jpg/

Did you read the previous 4 books?

>Get Blood Mirror book
>Finish it
>No idea about the series
>Didn't realize it was the 4th book in the series until I finished it

Welp, guess I'll have to read it again after reading the first 3, what a waste of time and spoilers probably

Lightbringer, no brakes on the Brent Weeks train. You should be done in time to get book 4.

If you finish the 3 Lightbringer books and book 4 isn't out, get Warbreaker.

It's a bad series anyways don't bother.

Read all of them already

No you didn't, you listened to them you cuck.

>you listened to them you cuck

Only the Warbreaker one ;_;

Just read the thread. It seems that the Dinosaur Squad is out in full force tonight.

>not the first post from this IP
Nice try, urban trash.

>Dinosaur Squad
All you did was make us sound badass.

>be me
>be a little girl
>muh favourite character is Shadow the Hedgehog because I once saw him trying to kill another character
>muh favourite game is Shadow the hedgehog where I get to pick up guns, shoot people and turn to the dark side
>own a pikachu plushie
>muh imaginary world has pikachus who eat humans ruled by my pikachu plushie
>like to draw fantasy creatures
>only draw my made up original fantasy creatures which include unicorn horn on a bipedial griffin with a shitload of talons wielding a laser sword that can cut through flesh: a walking talking dictatorial killing force to back up my maneating dictatorial pikachus
>like BIONICLE
>muh favourite bionicle series is the one with maneating vines, BETRAYAL, mutations, anger and genocide
>read vanilla fantasy like Old Kingdom and LOTR
>enjoy imagining I kill people
>kill people in dreams. They end up killing me in revenge
>one day see a new book series
>It's the Night Angel Trilogy
>It's about assassins, murder, genocide, violence, homosexuality, KAGE MEANS SHADOW and MUH INVINCIBLE ALL POWERFUL MARBLE
>beg parents to buy it
>thisismytrueform.jpeg
Once edgy, always edgy but I can at least look back now and realise that some of it was explicitly included to pander to edgelords like me.

Any ok fantasy with a little girl as MC?

r u really a grill

Yea... fat load of god that will do us now.

Is Tigana by Guy Gavriel Kay good?

>replied to a post at the top
>settles down to read entire thread
>post my findings
>user points out the obvious

It is, but it's not his best.

Would you do me the honor of murdering my virginity with your killer pussy?

Read Lions of Al Rassan instead

Wait what, are there MULTIPLE arc anons here?
What the fuck

Nice narrative, retard, too bad it isn't true.

JCW hates /pol/, he's a bog-standard cuckservative though. The majority of writers Vox Day publishes don't agree with him on politics.

Wait, how can you be a conservative AND hate /pol? As far as I know JCW hates gays, women, is a Christian and all that shit. Sounds pretty /pol/ to me.

Also I doubt Vox Day even has politics, he's doing it all for the lulz and because he's buttmad he will never win a Hugo. I bet he doesn't really mean half of the shit he says.