Whenever I meet someone who comes from the Midwest they're often underexposed to food and are picky eaters with a...

Whenever I meet someone who comes from the Midwest they're often underexposed to food and are picky eaters with a preference for "bland" foods.

People from those regions, how do you get food exposure over there? What were you raised on? How intolerable is your family now that you have diversified your tastes?

born and raised on pb&j dipped in tomato soup

My family would only have jelly on their pb&js. Those fuckers sheltered me from jam. Now I like jam on my pb&js.

Jam isn't jelly in the States?

It is. You just caught a shitposting Aussie red handed.
It's like when they say holiday or university.

I guess not? Here we use the following definitions:

jelly is a lot sweeter, practically candy
jam has more fruit and less sugar in it
preserves is further in the fruit direction

My gf's from the midwest and I can hardly believe how narrow her tastes are. Then again, I was a kid in the South and spent my teens in California.

This.

This poster is a mongoloid.

I'm from Michigan, it amazes me how little good Greek and Lebanese food there is in other parts of the country, Meixcan as well

Also, Troit Za is best za, fuck off with your meme pizzas

I was slightly picky to no fault of my upbringing.
On weekdays my family would have pretty laughable Midwest meals, since they were usually easy to make after work. I mean like bland Spaghetti or tacos with packaged seasoning. As soon as I was no longer a child 12ish every Friday and Saturday when my parents had time they would make a nice meal. Pork loin with a cranberry sauce, baked salmon, spicy shrimp kabobs. I mean we weren't having beef tongue but it wasn't mayo sandwiches.

Jam is made from the fruit
Jelly is made from the juice

Same, we seem to be in an odd situation with a plethora of good Mediterranean cuisine, there are a lot of solid east asain places as well. But Chicago and Detroit are the exceptions to bland Midwestern taste buds.

I was pretty sheltered when it comes to food until I was about 14. Probably because we ate fast food every other day. My half brother has only eaten doritos and ice cream for 16 years. We're finally getting him to drink protein shakes. My mom is gluten and lactose intolerant and is doing keto now, so I avoid eating with them. I'm still diversifying my palette, but I love cooking now.

Get a load of this moran

Whenever I meet someone who comes from the West Coast they're often underexposed to food and are hipster eaters with a preference for "elevated" foods.

People from those regions, how do you get food exposure over there? What were you raised on? How intolerable is your family now that you have diversified your tastes?

it's all over the northeast

Sucks so hard.
>Born to Italian father and Chinese mother
>Can't cook italian for shit
>Fantastic at preparing my mother's gook food
>No asian food market within 50 miles of me
>Or any stores that sell "ethnic" ingredients
Just bland my shit up. At least Im getting decent at making german and finish dishes.

I bet you're fucking handsome as hell though, hapas nearly always are. Find a babe to cook for you.

My gf's southern cooking is pretty good, but like me she can't cook outside of what her parents taught her. Although, I haven't had a better apple pie/barbeque than the ones she makes.

You can get a lot of the dry goods/condiments shipped to you if you don't have an asian supermarket close by.

As long as you don't live in a tiny town, there are plenty of places to find all sorts of cuisines in the midwest. You may have to go look for them, but they are there.
The real problem is that too many people here have the mentality that anything different is bad, and won't even humor trying new things. And not just food.
That mentality is by far the worst thing about this region.

I grew up in a small Midwest town. I think the lack of diversity is responsible for why we're picky eaters. I would guess 90% off my area has German or Irish heritage. So we eat a lot of casseroles, cheese and potatoes.

Most of the restaurants are pizza and burger places. The "international" restaurants are Mexican and cheap Chinese buffets. We do not get exposed to a large variety of food.

I prefer to try new foods when I travel. however, most people I know would rather eat at a familiar restaurant.

>Louisianafag
>raised on jambalaya, gumbo, home boiled crawfish, etc.
>tfw can't enjoy food in any other states because no flavor

this is true. michigan has great eastern euro, mediterranean, and mid east cuisine in the detroit metro. it's hard to find in any other american city that isn't New York

I've spent time in many cities and a few different countries. Having a starting job at a tiny middle-upscale bistro with free staff dinner every night helped. Food Network was a friend. I appreciate all kinds of food and there are very few things I picture myself not trying (but I'm not hustling to get surstromming in my mouth.)

This is correct.

I think the issue in the Midwest is that there are still neighborhoods known to be "italian" or "polish" or "chinese" or "german" versus just assimilation like where I'm from in Miami. In my city, we do have some historically cuban, haitian or black neighborhoods, but it's a minor definition. You live where you want. My relatives in Chicago have all the money in the world, loved all over the map in their city, in the best white neighborhoods only, but just honestly like american food and italian food, and bleh on the rest. I'm sure they repeat their menus and cravings every 2 weeks, and just don't travel outside of the US nor really want to, other than going to disney, a cruise, or just camping and hiking near their own state. Their life is about their families, and pizza once a week is fine, since it's Lou's, or a sandwich is fine if it's a a hot beef or dog, or jimmy johns, and then, that is it. Their mom does an awesome rump roast, so they have it once a week, or else lasagna. They don't crave awesome salads or whatever hip food arrives, nor are any of them fatasses.

There's no chinese. There's no berghoff night..ever. That's their thing. I visit, and I want to stop at the polish bakery. Their confused "why?" oh yea, heard it was good, but never went in there :o They don't ooh and ahh at the great noodle place that just opened on the corner. They just don't crave pho, or see why you'd do that if you couldn't go get some wings and beer instead, or the best steak in town. They seem to recognize peasant low quality stuff, though. I don't get it, I really don't. They visit me, and have no interest in hispanic food, just BBQ, hahah.

>it's an assmad self-hating liberal jerks off "flavorful" ethnic food because the electric jew tells him it's hip and trendy and white people are the devil episode
Sage report and hide your shitty thread OP.

My theory on the midwest's bland taste relates to the de-Germanification of culture (including food culture) in WWI/WWII. In areas where this policy was less effective, you will still find people eating blood sausage, liver, etc.
While it's still Old World bland, it does steer away from the sheer pickiness.

That's funny, I know tons of people from Chicago and exactly zero of them are like this. Weird!

Also, ifyoulook into the US Government food that was designed to replace the native cuisine, it is always bland as hell. Why? Because the US Government found that spices (paprika and garlic included) caused nervousness. Also, the over consumption of vinegar or off-cuts would make you re-consider your loyalty to the government.

Yes, the midwest's blandness was created by ANTI-GERMAN SOCIAL ENGINEERING!!!

TL;DR?
Muh heritage.

Mustard isn't bland at all. Check m8.

I live in a Midwestern Rust Belt city, and I have access to loads of quality German, Polish, Hungarian, Slovenian, Italian, Lebanese, Colombian, Venezuelan, Vietnamese, Thai, Cambodian, Somalian, Chinese, Malaysian, Indian, Nepalese, Irish, Turkish, Ethiopian, Czech, and soul food. The only things we're really lacking are any decent Japanese or Mexican places.

>Maryland
>Just put fucking Old Bay on everything

>how do you get food exposure over there?
Go to places that have food? I don't know what kind of answer you're looking for.

I'm so glad I didn't grow up in a flyover state

Thanks for sharing. Got a blog I can subscribe to?

I went fishing with some relatives of my uncle from Wyoming. For snacks they brought ham sandwiches w/mayo only and plain lays. At least they brought some beers.

Upvote

I moved from California to Colorado and I havent experienced this at all. The only area I've visited that doesnt seem to appreciate flavor is New England. They fucking hate flavor over there.

"I'm going on holiday"
I dont know why that annoys the shit outta me but it does. I love you British bastards though.

Is he related to Jack Moran? He's a cool guy.

The "flyover states" (a meme brought to you by Veeky Forums) are glad you didn't grow up here.

>a meme brought to you by Veeky Forums
>He doesn't know

Colorado isn't a flyover. Too many hipsters.

>thinks the 'flyover' concept is a meme by Veeky Forums

Read a book or newspaper every now and then, for fuck's sake. That term has been used by New Yorkers in a tongue-and-cheek manner for decades.

I mean tongue-in-cheek