How do you deal with the fact that you went to a non Oxbridge / MIT / Stanford / Caltech / Ivy League university and...

How do you deal with the fact that you went to a non Oxbridge / MIT / Stanford / Caltech / Ivy League university and were surrounded by anti-intellectuals and had a much less rigorous curriculum for the entirety of undergrad?

It feels fucking awful to me. When I see giant university buildings I am in disbelief. These are monuments to a broken society that celebrates mediocrity.

My grandpa hasn't read a book in forty years and never set foot on even a community college campus. But he did work 60 hours a week most of his life to support his family and is a much better person than you. Go fuck yourself you arrogant little shit. Your classics degree isn't impressive no matter where it came from.

It's much worse when you actually go to one of those schools and you're surrounded by rich cunts who are just as stupid as the poor pieces of shit you grew up with, except groomed to think they're all amazing elites and intellectuals.

I'd rather be back at my community college. I hate every one of these rich braindead yuppie faggots. Poor people may not be intellectuals either, but at least they aren't spoiled-rotten perpetual children. At least people at shitty colleges have no illusions that they are just getting professional training. Every worthless fucking prep school mediocrity at every fancy university just naturally assumes he's some kind of wunderkind, that the cushy job his daddymoney and infinite leisure time to "take two years off to think about what he wants to do next" will get him somehow qualifies him to put on airs of superiority.

It's all nouveau riche trash, all the time. They aren't even real aristocrats. I wouldn't even mind that. It's that they're all nouveau riche garbage, even if they're 10th generation money. They're rich proles with electric ass warmers.

I don't feel bad, I can't blame myself for being born in a shithole where [mine] the best university is at max Top 100 World.

And what about UToronto, University of London, Todai, Chicago, Duke, Rice, Berkeley, etc., hmm?

Where you go to college means fuck all to anyone else other than maybe your first employer, and then it's only functional. If you really care about your education (why care about your peers'? , why not self-study to your own satisfaction if you have no other means of learning?

As everyone else has said, getting into whatever college is more circumstantial than anything else. Sam Harris aside, think about how many factors come together to make someone himself, and make that self apt for getting into, much less going to, college. We all know at least a few people who are at least as intelligent, as capable in the workforce, more down to earth, etc. than people we know who actually go to these institutions, many of whom go likely because of nepotism, affirmative action, wealthy family backgrounds, etc. Are your praises going to be made for someone because his dad went to Harvard and so he follows, and held for someone who's hustling in community college because his family couldn't afford university?

If I met someone with a classics degree I'd be like oh nice man i am impressed! if I met someone like your granddad I'd say oh......nice.....back to mowing the lawn sir

That says more about you than anyone or anything else.

Go back to reading your Karl Marx, you libshit class warrior.

Go back to masturbating and surfing Veeky Forums you privileged dipshit.

Lol, gr8 back peddling ad hominem bro.

You post an image of a Bush and you don't realize the irony, most people in High ranking universities are just as mediocre as people in lower ones, there's just a slightly higher percentage of people who aren't.

In my opinion quality of classmates only starts to matter when you get to post-graduate studies, before that Professors are the only thing that really matters in a BA

Great thread bro. It starts with a profound misunderstanding of the education system and ends with an equally false socioeconomic dichotomy.

You're just as retarded as every other twenty year old. Congratulations.

Care to explain?
Not that I support OP's statements, but I would like to hear your opinion.

What's to explain?

A working man's decades-long struggle to support a family on his own is much more impressive than four years of reading. And this has nothing to do with marxism or left-wing values. This is just something that life will teach you if you aren't a privileged little shit who's never actually faced hardship.

And at the undergrad level it's all the same. Especially in the humanities. There's nothing Harvard's english department has to say that you can't get at ASU.

You probably were surrounded by uncultured people but don't be deluded, Yale or Stanford's curriculum is by no way “much more rigorous” than yours. Getting into such a college is basically investing in a brand, nowadays, and undergraduate courses are mostly an overrated, shallow formation with a solid bibliography you're still not expected to achieve, more personal work and a “professor” who waste its teaching time by talking about his life because he's not a teacher but a researcher. These institutions are renowned because they have enough money and famous staff to lure undergraduates into their postgraduate program. Many Nobel winners and Fields medal holders are flagged as Yale/Princeton/Oxford/Harvard alumni but actually had their undergraduate degree in another college. You want a rigorous curriculum? Go on Harvard's website, steal the desired courses' bibliography and work on your own.

>life will teach you
Spooked.

Oh, I agree with the working man thing.
It is just that I am not from Anglosphere, so I don't really know shit about prestigious universitys there, only stereotypes I got from TV series and films. My country's top uni is somewhere in the 300-400 top unis row.

At least its easier
Im getting straight As with no effort because the professors know the class cant handle anything beyond filler assignments
My intention is to do postgrad somewhere good, so I end up with a good degree for only one year of actual real education

Oh. I gotcha. See

I don't have to. I'm 6'2, handsome, Asian American and I got to Princeton University. I was the valedictorian of my high school and every week I have sex with a new Asian or white woman.

Ivy League is either something you get into by pure luck or you were dealt a winning hand by life. In fact, for most, education ends up being far less significant than what you do with it. There are so many that went to an Ivy League institution that ended up nowhere and just as foolish as those who got a liberal arts degree in gender studies

my anti-grandpa post was just a troll, poking fun at the fact someone was going on about their fuckin papaw in some shitty college thread

One statement is not "going on"
Why not poke fun at some dipshit twenty year old who's entire sense of value and meaning in life sits upon ivy league stigma? Oh, because you're a dipshit twenty year old who trolls on the internet for fun and therefore probably have nothing of value to say to anyone.

Man you're taking this board too seriously.

I take everything too seriously. It's a sad consequence of being a reasonable adult surrounded by dipshit twenty year olds.

Relax. We are your friends m8 just razzin ya

Eh, can't say it's bothered me too much. I was initially sore over going to a 'good' public college, but it's not like i could have gotten into anything better from the effort I gave in HS. Even so, my parents could have never afforded a top-notch school if I had studied harder. It's an "oh well" kind of thing, and I just don't worry about it. There's always grad school, which I can save up for in advance.