Hey guys just letting you know there's a great discussion on the merits of YA vs literature going down...

hey guys just letting you know there's a great discussion on the merits of YA vs literature going down. if anyone would like to chime in.

what do you think the effects of only reading YA is on the human brain? why don't YA lovers deviate from the genre?!?

youtu.be/U2jPMOxc17c

the YA fans are currently going full retard.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=eZaqsewl5TI
i.4cdn.org/wsg/1464300023012.webm
youtube.com/watch?v=HSIekVLNuCA
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Being over 17 and still reading YA just lets me know you're mentally and emotionally still a child.

>Being over 17 and still reading SF just lets me know you're mentally and emotionally still a child.
>Being over 17 and still reading The Greeks just lets me know you're mentally and emotionally still a child.
>Being over 17 and still reading fiction just lets me know you're mentally and emotionally still a child.

lol trueeeerr

>YA fans
aka women

desu john green seems like a pretty 'adult' guy, at least way more of an adult than say anons here. i don't think YA is worth the paper it's written on, but i don't think reverting to the child/adult dichotomy argument can be taken honestly here. i mean we are on Veeky Forums -- we are all to some degree behaving childishly.

I am and so are all the 20 somethings around me? It's cultural, maaaaan.

hold up Veeky Forums is for kids. I'm 27

what makes YA shit though? I've never read YA so I have no idea.

i'm 25 and posting dank memes famalamlamamalmalam (see this is all barely above freshman high school tier babble)

I'm sitting in my university's library right now learning. Having reading this my focus and guiding tranquility were replaced by pure disgust and anger. It is this feeling of powerlessness and lack of direction of my rage which sentence me to leave my studies and have an hate-masturbation to this video's fuckface. Wish I could fuck her in the ass while whispering in to her ear what "real literature" is.

That's not necessarily the case, it just means that you haven't left behind all naivete and imagination you still had when you were a kid if you can enjoy YA. If you do however take them as seriously as you would have when you were a kid then you're retarded.
Being childish is to have time for things of no consequence. Painting, writing fiction, watching films, making papercrafts, sculpting and etc. The hallmark of adulthood are the financial and social responsibilities that one acquires and to become more rigid and serious.

Most women don't develop socially or mentally past 12 years old.

Cunts on this board screech the contrary while proving the point.

It's just poor taste, no need to go more in depth than that.

Same as kids who only play CoD, only listen to rap music, only like capeshit, only like Naruto, etc. I might get passing enjoyment reading a young adult novel but nowhere near the fulfillment and pleasure I get from literature or listening to a good album in its entirety. Pity the pleb, don't get angry at it.

>a good album
Only plebs don't go to live performances

>Same as kids who only play CoD, only listen to rap music, only like capeshit, only like Naruto, etc.
Listen to this, listen to the complexity of all the multiple tracks, and tell me this is not bach tier:

youtube.com/watch?v=eZaqsewl5TI

i.4cdn.org/wsg/1464300023012.webm

>Pushkin spends years creating the 1000+ pages of notes needed to write his ~250 page novel in verse, Eugene Onegin
>"YA author put just as much effort into their masterpieces"

Kill me

Young adult fiction can be rather simple and easily read. People who read it are surely not hurting themselves intellectually or culturally. Also, they are not improving themselves in any way. Those facts are fine. As long as people understand what they are doing and do not exaggerate, all is well. When people make a statement similar to, "I'd rather have people read young adult than not read at all," questions are born. That statement implies that one can receive a benefit from reading. However entertained the readers of young adult fiction may be, what benefit comes from reading young adult fiction? Surely there is neither a particular benefit from reading young adult fiction nor reading in the most general sense. Nonfiction can teach a reader something; that reading can be beneficial. Literature can explore society and convey the problems of our time. However, we must understand that reading can just be entertainment alone. There is nothing wrong with reading solely for entertainment.

Are you implying that all rap/hip-hop music is poor taste? Even fairly raunchy/gangster music can have great merit in my opinion (see Kendrick Lamar as a popular example).

Greetings fellow hipster! I also enjoy going to the Rusty Spoon to listen to my favorite saxophonist play! I can't understand how anyone can prefer recorded masterpieces over live indie music!

Yeah even a little kid's drawing has merit. Doesn't make it worth hanging up in the Louvre (see my wifes son for example).

Rap music is garbage. Deal with it.

>four chord pop progressions
>complex
nice try plebe

the issue is not that people people enjoy reading YA but when they are exaggerating how good the book is and considering it a great piece of literature

Yeah, OP is just low-level baiting, he didn't even get funny answers, other than Gabo's.
I would add that not only reading YA is not necessarily bad, but also that reading "real literature" can be just as useless with the wrong approach, something that lit often does. There is no wrong or right book genre as much as wrong reading. And the comments section really seem to be enjoying themselves with their YA, which is kind of the point. Meanwhile, DFW, Nabokov and Joyce didn't stop op from being a faggot.

Fuck I hate frenetic ADD editing on videos.

As a non-native speaker, what's the best term for the tone of voice the people in these videos invariably have? The pseudo-manic and overexcited squeals?

>said the literal cuck

shes getting fat t b h

Who cares?

say that in the YouTube comment section dumbass

Comparing great hip-hop to a child's drawing is disingenuous as best. While the message in 40 minute works like TPAB are not as developped as a novel or a philosophical treatise, the musical landscaping, subtle production, wordplay, and technical ability in the flows in anything but base. Some of the most complexe and nuanced music release today is hip hop.

I rather not read at all if every author only wrote YA.

OP is a faggot, and so is the underage shitlord with the Veeky Forums Youtube account.

They're most likely the same person anyway.

>If women defend themselves they're actually proving the opposite.
Way to redpill the femmes.

I'm am the same person.

Veeky Forums is my substitute for young adult.

it makes me sad

it's weird. I don't like what she's talking about and I couldn't care less. but I watched the whole thing and was happy to be looking at her. what does that say about me and society

Why do you care what these people read?

You're trying to sway their shite taste in such an officious way that you look like a fedora.

I'm not trying to sway them. I'm trying to rile them up for the LULZ. remember those. the LULZ

>not liking thick white girls

Your life sucks, nigga.

I think that anons humor is lost on you. do you really think it's a good idea to say to a YA reader "yeah try reading william h gass's the tunnel"

come on man

samefag

Fair enough, didn't catch on. Sorry.

I always get all warm and tingly inside when I see some faceless nobody on Veeky Forums trying to assert themself about other people in some small fit of projection

He quoted the guy from the Youtube thread.

things are getting heated on YouTube.

I might be mentally and emotionally a child, but atleast I don't read YA.

>normies unironically still believe in universal literacy
top kek, fucking westerners

>a good album
>he unironically listens to popular music
LMAOing @ ur life rn

She ascends above the realm of shitposting and expresses indifference to getting the last word or being correct in an internet argument

I hate this whole wave of commercialized popular rap music just as much as the next guy, but from a production standpoint you're not giving it enough credit

he's baiting

who would you rather. abookutopia or polandbananabooks

polandbananabooks by far

Actually, upon further inspection, nevermind.

Speak for yourself

I want to write YA to get money. what YA should I read to hone my skills

this my jam. she's actually pretty funny

as a black woman the girls hair in ops picture offends me.

Are there any good (male) booktubers?

yeah. this guy who reviewed bloodmeridian

Start with the Greens

This guy?

youtube.com/watch?v=HSIekVLNuCA

6/10, chuckled internally

>he literally says "my wifes won"
>still don't realize it's b8
top zozzle

I guess I don't begrudge people for reading the stuff, but I do get a bit misty when I see all that money & time being spent on such expendable trinkets, posing as literature. I'm sure it has it's own shallow merits for the people that enjoy it, but it definitely lowers the standards for both the creative & consumptive communities. None of those books will be relevant 5 years from now, but I can't walk into the nearest bookstore without being overwhelmed by a deluge of rainbow colored, plasticized dust jackets & their screaming fonts. But I wasn't able to find a single copy of Gaddis' "JR"...

The real travesty isn't the dearth of meaningful content in these books for children, it's the effect their economic relevance has on society & the market as a whole. Shit from shit.

>wifes won
*son

no

he was in his washroom