Favorite Poets and Recommendations

Post some of your personal favorite poets, others can recommend similar ones who you might enjoy.

I'll start
>Crane
>Eliot
>Rimbaud
>Wallace Stevens
>W.S. Merwin
>Baudelaire
>Yeats
>Brodsky

Other urls found in this thread:

kalliope.org/en/digt.pl?longdid=housman2002020533
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Those are some great poets, OP.

Thank you, I forgot to add Pound but he's also wonderful. I realize the thread idea sounds a bit silly but I just want to learn more of Veeky Forums's tastes, and I figure if 3x3 threads work on /mu/, the concept should translate well enough.

Dylan Thomas and Thomas Hardy will do OP

Someone please explain to me, without sounding like a total faggot, why Yeats is a good poet? All his shit sounds like a teenager wrote it.

Have you read The Second Coming?

Just read Frank Stanford

Judging by the way you type, you should probably steer clear of literature, it's not for you.

Thanks, I don't know Hardy very well, but After a Journey is one of the most beautiful things I've ever read.

OP I'm just pointing this out again.

Alright, I'll check him out.

men dance on deathless feet, user

>Crane
I like his poems but have you read Maggie?

You're thinking of the inferior Crane.

>Sor Juana Inés de la Cruz
>William Wordsworth
>Edna St. Vincent Millay
>Luis de Góngora
>Gilberto Owen
>John Milton

Wace
Charles d'Orléans
Scève
d'Aubigné
La Fontaine
Voloshin
Tarkovski

>not a single Celan
???

Keats, Shakespeare, and Alfred, Lord Tennyson

>Blake
>Dylan
>Rimbaud
>Patchen
>Bukowski
>Rilke
>Plath
>Dickinson
>cummings

This flaming homosexual right here.

Whitman and Pound would fit your fancy.

He is a master of syntax and has one of the best senses of rhythm of any poet ever, which, added to his beautiful imagery and occultic themes, makes him, at the very least, an interesting poet.

Blake
Rilke
Rimbaud
Pound
Whitman
Crane
Maddox
Poe
Yeats
Eliot
Shakespeare
Holderlin
Steven
Donne

I didn't know Maddox wrote poetry.

He did, though I meant Williams, who, because of the name, I switch with him a lot.

>Yeats
>Frost
>Pound
>Berton Braley
>Eliot

Fernando Pessoa
Hart Crane
John Gould Fletcher
Robert Penn Warren
John Crowe Ransom
Rilke
Conrad Aiken

oh shit yeah Celan is one of my absolute favorites, how did I forget
yeah Frank Standford is one of my recent discoveries, he is good especially for americans from the midwest like I am

Fuck. I'm only starting to get into more "serious" poetry but had never read "The Second Coming" until now; it literally gave me chills. Thank you.

You should pick up Bloom's "The Best Poems of the English Language" if you're interested in getting a well-rounded foundation in poetry. It begins with Chaucer, ends with Crane, and give a little introduction and evaluation of each poet. I got a hardcover from HPB for like $0.99 so I think it's pretty worth it.

Newfag here

Want to start reading poems.

Where to start?
Who to start with?

the greeks, of course

Simic
Strand
Li Young Lee
Sexton
Larkin
Spicer
Bidart
Glück
Plath
Rich

Basic fucking taste, you pleb. Read more

Celan is trash. Only faggots that discovered him through "postmodern" philosophers since they wouldn't understand him any other way

>Only faggots that discovered him through "postmodern" philosophers since they wouldn't understand him any other way
is that supposed to be a complete thought?

Is that Arseny Tarkovski? Other than him (of whom I have only read last night) and La Fontaine, the rest are unknown to me (pls no bully).

Obviously not, retard

you are a cool dude

Thanks, my man. Likewise.

I like Dr Seuss

A.E. Housman
kalliope.org/en/digt.pl?longdid=housman2002020533

Sheldon Allan Silverstein

Crane the one that writes about deserts?

Boileau
Corbière
Leconte de Lisle
Heine
Rilke
Yeats
Mallarmé
Donne

Rutebeuf, Eustache Deschamps, Villon (you've probably read him already), Marie de France.

Sappho