Starbucks hired me today as a barista. What am I in for, and what's good there? Can I get free tea?

Starbucks hired me today as a barista. What am I in for, and what's good there? Can I get free tea?

Don't be fooled by anyone telling you that making espresso drinks takes any amount of school.

Be prepared for the cancerous "triple shot extra foam soy machiatto" bullshit

You can mess up drinks slightly no one will notice cause they're drinking liquid sugar anyways.

You're going to hate the smell of pumpkin spice.

You'll have a few regulars that are nice, rest of the people are cancer

I really, really, really wish you were underage kid.

>You're going to hate the smell of pumpkin spice.

I love the smell. One of the reasons I picked starwank, it would be like working in a candle shop. Just too much exposure?

I've never really had any of their drinks and think their coffee is terrible, but 10/10 atmosphere, comfy place to study or do work.

How many fatasses do you get ordering coffee abominations? What's the most ridiculous thing someone has ordered?

Remember my name, either write it right or ask me if you don't know how to.
Your job is making milkshakes, microwaving pastries and once in a while making a shitty cup of coffee bonus points if the coffee is shitty because they use shitty coffee and not because you don't know what you are doing

It's "Sonny" with an 'o', got it?

Not him but I had a lady on drugs order a 30 splenda white mocha shit was awful. Also don't have any expectations of people who come there to enjoy coffee,I'm the only one of my coworkers who enjoys it and it's sad

>30 splenda white mocha

that's impressively sweet. Most humans would puke from that... Tweakers man. I'm gonna work at a really high end one right in downtown.

Funny the pastries there are also ass. Just pure sugar tasting.

Atlanta by chance?

You can drink all the shit you want during your shifts, and get a mark out of 1 pound of coffee beans per week to take home, so I'd imagine you could probably take home as much tea as you want if that's what you'd prefer.

Nah, I live in a nice city.

>You can drink all the shit you want during your shifts

Oh nigga yes. Unsweetened iced tea here I come.

Be careful with that. Too much will make you jittery and fuck up orders. I worked in a bubble tea place. Pace yourself.

the fatties won't piss you off. they don't really go to starbux

the "can I speak to a manager" soccer mommies with their brood will, though

seriously, working at starbucks will make you never want to get married or have kids because of the slight chance of your wife becoming a starbucks mommy

t. barista for 2.5 years

I worked in a licensed store, not a corporate one, and we could get fired for tasting anything from the starbucks at anytime during or after your shift, even water was prohibited. the only time you could consume something was for sampling new items. unless of course you paid for whatever you bought with no discount because we weren't technically partners

I drink tea all day every day, hot tea, no sugar or other bullshit. But the hot tea would just get luke warm if I'm sipping it between customers, so hence iced. If it's iced green tea even better, like 1/5 of the caffeine of iced black, which is already 1/4 of the caffeine of coffee.

>never want to get married or have kids

Already there. Am I barista material? I'm surprised you say that there's no fat people, though. I thought all of tumblr hung out there.

>even water was prohibited.

How did you not die of dehydration? If it varies I'll just ask my new coworkers or observe what they do. The manager seems nice.

>Unsweetened iced tea

Grande in a venti Double Chocolate Chip Frappucino made with soy milk (but sometimes coconut milk or a mix of nonfat and 2% depending on how she felt) made with skinny mocha, 1 Equal, 2 Cream base, and 1light base. Double blended. And she watches when you pour it to make sure she gets every drop. Extra whip, extra mocha drizzle, plus dark chocolate curls, and you have to hand her a flat lid because dome lids will spill and she wants to put the lid on it herself after drinking some of it.
Twice a day at least.
Keep in mind that if you even infer that the Skinny Mocha wasn't made within an hour of her ordering it the first time, she will claim it's rotten or sour and have you remake it. So you gotta make a skinny mocha just for her. Shes also the only customer who uses this syrup.

She is diabetic and says her doctor and her came up with this drink so she can safely have Starbucks everyday.

I just started working there. I really like the sparking teas so try that

There coffee is only worth drinking if you use the french press so if you want coffee then use the french press.

The people you work with will most likely be chill and cool as fuck. My store manager and shift supervisor are fucking awesome. Yours might be the same

People are fucking disgusting. I got this one dude who ordered a venti mocha frap with 12 - 15 pumps of syrup and mocha, and about 10 sugars with extra whip and then requested more sugar packets. I wanted to fucking throw up

You can get free shit so that's good

Most of the fatties are in drive thru

Had a lady come in yesterday and order a venti steamed lemonade, and a 15 pump caramel, 1.5 pump mocha hot chocolate with extra extra whip

Fucking gross

>I got this one dude who ordered a venti mocha frap with 12 - 15 pumps of syrup and mocha, and about 10 sugars with extra whip and then requested more sugar packets.
Fucking gross

Hey baristanon

At what point does an order become unreasonable?

Is asking for sugar free syrup and a certain milk generally alright, or is that already passed the point where the employees give a fuck about the order?

ex. Mini Green Tea Frappecino with soy milk, and sugar free syrup

Is this reasonable? Is there a more efficient way to ask?

I hated the smell or pumpkin already from one taste

I work at the highest profiting liceansed kiosk in the whole company.

A lady comes in every sunday at 11 am and orders 8 no-foam, nonfat lattes that she refrigerates during the week.

Some other lady comes in and gets a caramel frappichino with soy milk, sugar free caramel, a half a pump of light base, two packets of agave nectar, 3 splendas, and extra ice.

The old ladies really love their mass amounts of splenda, even in already diabeetus tier lattes like white mochas and shit.

This one fucking weirdo comes in and gets trenta iced teas for himself and his gf with shots of espresso in them.

An ex coworker who is a fucking dick and hates us orders a large vanilla bean frap, add chips, heavy cream, add caramel, hazelnut, and toffeenut syrups, light ice, three shots of espresso, and a banana. I fucking hate his face, but he's the only dropping 8$ on a milkshake so thanks for giving me my paycheck bud.

On a side note, my favorite thing about working Starbucks, and food service in general, is all the stereotypes you start to notice with people and their drinks. Tweens love their VBF's, children in their mid twenties love their VBF's. Old ladies will shank you if you dont put 15 splendas in their drinks. White girls (and boys) love their caramel macchiatos. I've notice recently that really buff Veeky Forums type dudes usually get cold brew. People watching is always fun.

Pic related is an undertow

Skinny mocha fucking sucks. I hate that pump so goddamn much.

>She is diabetic and says her doctor and her came up with this drink so she can safely have Starbucks everyday.
Kek. You wont have to deal with her much longer.

how fat is she

>large

What the fuck are these 'chips' that people are talking about getting added to their coffee?

Are they American chips, British chips, or what?

Chocolate chips you brit.

>trenta

Oh, OK, I feel a bit silly now. Thanks anyway.

I still think it's completely unreasonable to be adding chocolate chips to coffee in any case.

Most people like the smell of movie popcorn but apparently people will get nauseous on the first day of working there from it, it could be similar to that.

Do you know what a frap is fampai?

Not trying to be an ass, but people aren't adding chocolate chips to like hot coffee, it's blended into a (sometimes) caffeinated milkshake.

Just applied there yesterday to make some money for school, hoping to get hired but the women there seem like the type to only want other women working alongside them as baristas. I put on my resume that I have good social skills and is a quick learner (what I didn't mention was I can forget easily if given multiple tasks). The location is near a naval base and can get somewhat busy in the mornings.

Could somebody like me make it? Really don't want to mess up a lot or want to work at a clothing place/Jewmart.

Once more, my apologies, I'm afraid I have never set foot in a Starbucks in my life, nor any other coffee shop as far a I can recall, and am somewhat unfamiliar with these drinks.

I only drink Early Grey tea.

I shall check out their website to become more familiar with these products. Thank yo for explaining about the milkshakes and chips. I don't know why the fuck anyone would go into a coffee place for a milkshake tho. Round here, all the best milkshakes are made in the Italian owned ice cream places.

It's basically just an over glorified milkshake place for people who 'like' coffee. If you live in Europe, there's really no reason to waste your money there with all the superior coffee shops around unless you want to see just how bad American coffee is.

>I only drink Early Grey tea.
I like Earl Grey too, but doesn't the taste sort of lose it's appeal if you ONLY drink it? I like to mix it up with yellow label or some other tea for a week when Earl Grey loses it's distinct Earl Grey taste, that bergamot oil.

>and what's good there?
I have a similar question, so I figured I'd rather hijack this thread, instead of shitting up the board with a new one.

I'm currently in Vancouver, and that place is essentialy "Starbucks - the City".
And I'm living out of shitty airbnb's so I have to grab breakfast on the go anyways.

So I'm willing to give starbucks a try, to at least try to understand why the fuck those are so popular!

What should I order there? Already tried it once, and it essentially was
>OK, I want a small coffee, with some milk
>Frappuwhat?
>Iced whatever?
>I thought they are a coffee place?
>Ah, cafe latte, that sounds like coffe with milk!
>tall…
>huh, weird, their list starts with the largest size, normally its the other way round
>grande…
>WTF? Ah, OK, I see, they have to write it in french, because of Quebec.
>No wonder those guys want to get out of Canada! Why do you have to pay more if you speak french?
>Venti…
>Uh, OK, my italian is quite rusty, but isnt that "twenty"?
>Now that actually seems like a great value, but who the fuck orders twenty "coffees"?
>Whatever, I just get a tall
>get a shitload of hot milk
>some homeopathic amount of coffee in there
>payed too much

So I figure I have to try one of their undecipherable items. But fuck me if I know which one.

>I can forget easily if given multiple tasks). The location is near a naval base and can get somewhat busy in the mornings.

You are going to get the shit cursed out of you.

The only thing "unreasonable" is either being an asshole while you order or getting something like 12 or more pumps of any flavor in a drink

Uncultured swine

Are you being sarcastic or retarded?

you sound like an awful pretentious shit

Well damn can't let that happen.

>Thank god I have a history of epilepsy

>pretentious
But I'm not.
I just wanted a coffee, and since it was early in the morning (hence, before I had my coffe to properly function), and menu made up from 4 languages (english, french, italian and gibberish) was simply overwhelming me.

Both

See

Buy better Earl Grey

>they got rid of the coconut macchiatto

It was the only thing they had that was sweet without being disgusting.

I'm this guy I put I am a quick learner leaving out that I have shit hearing and forget easily but they didn't give a shit. They don't expect you to learn all the drinks and procedures within a week. If you forget shit they'll help you but if it's like a month or two and you keep making the same mistakes then yeah you'll get canned. Also the manager at my store from what other co-workers said only likes to hire girls but for some reason decided to hire me. Could be cause of my availability.

All you have to say is small, medium or large and they'll know what you're talking about

They haven't though. I still see those made on a daily basis

Sparkling teas are annoying as shit to make at least at my store because it takes so long,tbqh I wish we'd discontinue the fizzio machine

I don't mind them. The machine at my store is fairly quick but when a shit load ask for those sparklings and expect it to be done within seconds piss me off

I fucking hate the headsets at work. I can't hear shit from them

Literally just order a small coffee and tell them to leave room for milk you humongous dipshit

literally just say you want a medium coffee and they'll know what you mean. or go to literally any of the thousands of other coffee shops in Vancouver. you sound insufferable.

btw the 20 in venti refers to the ounces in the cup. i have no idea why that wouldn't be obvious in terms of coffee.

>Drinking tea at a coffee shop
Wow what a faggot.

>or go to literally any of the thousands of other coffee shops in Vancouver.
But I want to find out what makes starbucks so great that they are literally everywhere!

Gimme a 7 shot half caff latte made with skim milk and sugar free chocolate if you have it and no whip cream but extra foam and caramel garnish if you have that instead of the chocolate.

You will get orders this specific every other drink

Who just gets latte?

How many people go in and just order 2-3 shots of espresso? A lot of the time I or my mother order it the employees tend to stare in seeming confusion and disbelief and will try to tell us they don't serve that.

I've seen many people ask for shots of espresso. Hell that's a regular here.

If you want to do this don't go to a starbucks with a drive-thru

I usually get regular coffee with 2 sugar packets and a splash of cream; a mocha; or if it's early in the season before I'm sick of them, a pumpkin spice latte. What stereotype do I fit, user?

I get different things whenever I go. I like trying new menu items and interesting combos.

Enjoy using the spoiled coffee for the iced coffee.

They do that?

Noted.

Thank you, really!

The male form of barista is "baristo". Hope this helps, OP.

No, more like a desperate tryhard. One I can relate to.

and steven universe you tumblr cis hating trans faggot.

Wageslave who wants to treat himself but it's too cheap/poor to really indulge. Whatever, you are still buying over roasted overpriced flat coffee user.

Pearl is the least tumblr SU character

She's thin, white, pretty and feminine.
She can be posted anywhere, any time.

I don't believe that you work there. I really really don't. It's spelled fucking Frappucinno and I've never even ben there.

>What am I in for
The occasional super-trendy retard who will make complicated and excessively picky demands that even themselves do not understand.
Homeless/druggie/beggars coming in for free water, camping out for hours to recharge their phones, and stealing all the sugar packets.
Parents... who will leave massive messes and never feel enough shame to tip.
Scammers/AmWay/MLM use these places as their offices.
"Public meeting place" for everything from online dating to craigslist commerce.
And your coworkers, most will also be skill-less (no degrees, no aptitudes, no useful skills or capabilities; AKA perfect for food service, retail, and barista work) angsty wannabes.

Well, sounds shitty to remember all that autism, but if a high school dropout can do it I want to believe I can. Can they really tell the difference if you make a small mistake? an user said it is fine over all the sugar, they won't be able to taste it. Idk, I'll just get it at least mostly right.

I've never had most of these stupid coffee drinks, so that's what worries me. Making something I've never had before. But fuck the calories in those monsters.

Some people get issues from too much caffeine. Don't judge.

Dumb bitch consuming equal and not stevia which actually reduces blood glucose levels and not wreck insulin sensitivity like other sweeteners and where the hell is the cinammon if she's a diabetic, should be like half a teaspoon in the drink to help mah diabehtus.

J

I just did my interview, I think it went well. I'm waiting for a callback on Monday.

>Waiting for callback
rev up that job search engine, because you didn't get the job.

We'll see!
There are more people than just me applying for the job, you know.

No I think he is right. When I apply for jobs, if the callback is later than they say, I never got the job. For starbucks I went in, interviewed, and they offered me the job then and there.

>I'm waiting for a callback on Monday.

Same with me. They said they'd call back soon. Not even an hour later, they hired me

Well, this sucks. I really wanted/needed this job in particular.

It could take awhile. Some places take a few days

Well, I'm just trying to stay positive.

23 years old, just graduated with my bachelors and I haven't had a job outside of private tutoring and volunteering, so I'm definitely not expecting an immediate callback. The guy said that he was going away this weekend with his family too, hence "I'll definitely call you on Monday," seems pretty promising.

This is super stressful though.

>This is super stressful though.
Yep. Welcome to the real world.
You'll enjoy it even more when you are applying for proper jobs, with pay that wont have you beggin for tips, that you'd actually want, instead of shitty McJobs.

Meme

Ok

Not a problem, I notice people who think the drinks they order are too much are never really bad compared to some. Even if the order is complicated being nice goes a long way,we have a semi regular who gets a drink with so many modifications there's a second sticker that will print out but he's a nice old man so it's not a problem making it for him

>implying 99% of corporate America isn't running on too much coffee to think straight at any time

>I resigned 15 days ago after 1 year
>French Starbucks+Franchise

Expect for cleaning.
Stupid, arrogant customers, stupid questions (Why do you wite the name on the cup? Can I have a hot frapuccino? Can I have a Latte without coffee?).
You will throw too garbage a lot of food and drinks.
Most of your shifts will depends of the apreciation of your managers and store managers - Meaning if for whatever reason you're not liked you'll be fucked.
The work is pretty simple and repetitive
The coffee and the tea are not especially good neither pretty bad - Starbucks is just your regular products with a class A packaging and marketing.
Prepare too hear a lot of corporate talks about "2nd family", "loving your job", "we are partners", Starbucks experience", etc...
Most of your time you'll be behind the bar and everyone will watch you - which can disturb some people until they accomodate - 70% of your job is relationship with other people
All those bad sides listed here's the good points

It's a really relax job as soon as you now how to be independant and do your job without needing your boss telling you what to do, they love to know that they don't need to watch after you, and you can be in peace as they let you chill.
It's been see as a better job than any other fast food job (#Starbucksmarketing)
You'll see a lot - REALLY A LOT - of girls, and a lot of cute ones, eventually you might succeed and get laid - eventually in some countries Starbucks is turned for middle-class even high class customers, so you might failed to get laid - whatever you can look at booty every day.
You'll get to meet a lot of people: customers and co-workers, and normally a lot of foreigners.
You'll taste a lot of frinks and prepare and try some recipes.
When you got your experience you can then move in any other Starbucks around the world which is always a nice plan B if you move somewhere and failed with your plan A.
You don't smell greasy, or any other stinky smell at the of your day

Lol whenever I would close and have to make skinny mocha, I would just dump a cup of hot water in that shit, shake it up, and put a new sticker on it. Only faggots order that shit anyway.

>continuing

You need 0 experience, as you just need to pretend having knowledge, meaning absolutly no people knows eanything to coffee, you just have too say some semi intelligents words and they'll drink it (as your coffee)
And maybe other stuff that I forgot...

>Free tea
Yup, every week you can have a bag of coffe or tea+everyday you got some free drinks+30% on every products in your Starbucks+partner code which give you access to discount in other Starbucks (which depends of the typer of store (franchise/licence/Starbucks corp)

>Why I left?
I was part of the team who open the shop. After 1 year I saw people being push out, other resigned, some promoted, changes about the politic (we're a Franchise, and we were the first Starbucks in town switching to 0 a year ago to 3, in 1-2 months they'll open a fourth one). I didn't took the chance to being promoted I didn't want to stay when every other left, I also didn't want to wait until I coucldn't handle it anymore, so I left happy leaving a good impressions to bosses and collegues.
My advice is, it's a great student job, it's also a good job for 1 year or 2.

I get new customers all the time, and I go out of my way to help them. No barista will care if you say medium coffe instead of a grande dark roast. And that homeopathic amount of coffe you got is called espresso, and although starbucks espresso is fucking awful compared to what you would get at a real espresso cafe, its the staple of all coffe based drinks. And that tiny amount is concentrated enough to taste more bold than a dark roast brewed coffe.

The key is communication.
So either you are socially inept, or are simply borderline braindead.

I dont believe that you speak English. I really really don't. Its spelled fucking been and ive never even spoken English.

I'm on morning shift and I think some junkie just went to the restroom

sugar and marketing. there, I saved you a trip.