So...

So, does Veeky Forums still refuse to accept that the King James Bible is the cornerstone of Western literature and the most important single text in the canon?

Don't tell me you haven't read the bible, user, I thought you were 'well read'!

There's literally a Bible thread every day.

A bible thread and a Lovecraft thread, at least one of each everyday.

>reading anything written before 1700

Good. Back when I used to post here somewhat I took enormous amounts of flak for suggesting that the Bible was important to Western literature.

That's something which I've only ever seen debated on Veeky Forums as every other literary community totally accepts the premise that the Bible is of total importance.

What time exactly does “back when” refers to? I've been here for years and this board has always demonstrated a steady inclination towards Christianity.

Why don't I think the version of The Bible with the most plot holes and contradictions is good literature? Hmmm

I'd say this site is pretty evenly split between Christian's and Atheist's

He is either a troll or an over sensitive fundie

>'s
death to the illiterati

>plot holes
why do you guys use the word "plot" in regard to religious text?
Do you have an example of a "plot hole"?
I'm genuinely curious to see what it is your referring to

They're all basically the same m8 the KJV doesn't have "more plot holes" it is at times difficult to understand because its not modern English and I think the translators were going for maximum poetry not maximum clarity but it still pretty much says the same thing as any other version.

>most important single text in the canon
this is what anglofags actually believe

About three years ago. I posted when the board was first created as well, but I don't remember much of the content.

No I'm actually not religious. It's surprising to me that Veeky Forums has changed so much that I'm actually not even being believed, but it's true, I made a similar thread to this one years back and was basically told that reading the bible was "a waste of time" and it would be better to just read the footnotes in other books that reference the Bible (I wish I were kidding, but this was the prevailing mode of thought).

Because it's the version from which English literature takes the most. If you're a religious scholar and want accuracy my understanding is that KJV is trash compared to some others, but if you're looking for the literary roots of the Western tradition it's the #1 source.

"the Western tradition" =/= English literature

>No I'm actually not religious
Then you are a dickhead, read Homer

That's true. This is an English language board however.

this.

op is a stupid faggot

I have. He's important as well, so are Ovid, Aristotle, Dante and Plato.

Indeed, and “English language” doesn't mean “English literature”. You seem you poorly try to justify the irrelevance of your Bible's translation when considering the Western culture as a whole.

It's hugely important to most of Europe though, just not the King James translation because that's an English translation.

You don't think the Bible is important to Russian literature? Okay pal.

OP is right, even if he doesn't realize it.

You must read the Bible.

Oh, oops I misread this and thought you suggested the bible was irrelevant.

Still it's a bit ridiculous to consider the KJV "irrelevant". English literature is pretty important.

Let me quote you back, would you?

>so, does Veeky Forums still refuse to accept that the
>King James Bible
>is the cornerstone of Western literature and the most important single text in the canon?

look pal you fucked up, stop trying to pretend you didn't

The King James version is a translation among many others that had some consequences on the Bible, which has then some consequences on some English authors, who are a tiny portion of what the Western culture is. Sorry but it's much irrelevant. If a translation must be referred to, it's the Vulgate.

I have read it and "canons" aren't worth adhering to if the material is as crap as this rewritten middle eastern import. It's mythology is bland and there's still far too many people who take it as fact for me to redeem it as literature. The Greeks and Gilgamesh are far more entertaining besides.

Bait threads. Nothing but bait threads.
Veeky Forums was once better than this. (At least by a bit)

>Reading anything after the fall of Rome

I wanna be well read and all, but every time I try to read the bible, I get bored out of my mind.

Maybe I'm destined to be a pleb.

because douay-rheims is superior

It's important literature, but it's not great, nor even good one.

>King James
>not Luther

Schüttel meinen Kopf um ehrlich zu sein, Familie.

What parts have you read there's some exciting stories in it and some philosophically interesting ones.

Writers before KJV of the Bible

Homer
Virgil
Dante
Shakespeare

Writers who influenced Jame Joyce the most
See above

Instead of asking "what is the importance of the Bible in English" we should be asking "how much better would the world be without it?"

>Instead of asking "what is the importance of the Bible in English" we should be asking "how much better would the world be without it?"

Questioning the Bible's non-existence practically speaking wouldn't serve much purpose. The impact the bible has had on the world has been too widespread, and its religious offspring has rooted itself too deeply in human culture. Thinking about a world from whatever point in time without the bible is a hypothetical nightmare

>Questioning the Bible's non-existence

I didn't, Im directly addressing the OP and the importance he gives the King James edition

>Thinking about a world from whatever point in time without the bible is a hypothetical nightmare

What about a world without the King James version?

Actually OP is right and wrong.King James Bible isn't the best Bible, and you can understand most novels even if you have never read the Bible. However there are a lot of details that you can't understand if you haven't read the Bible, which makes you unable to analyze the novel or poem. Dante's work is fully inspired by the Bible, same with most of french poetry, english and german romanticism... Even more recent texts like Kafka or Proust can't be fully understood if you don't know your Bible.

Dante uses many different inspirations for his Inferno though. To properly understand it you would have to be fluent in the history of Florence his personal political affairs. Inferno reads more like an adventure story like Iliad rather than anything you find in Bible (other than sin and suffering after dead).

Well we'd have to consider the impact of the KJV version on Western culture. We can explore this, it'd just be filled with what-ifs, and we can sit around pontificating about what that would be like but we'd end up right back where we left off