I have a question i was hoping someone COULD help answer for me

I have a question i was hoping someone COULD help answer for me.

I have read multiple times from credible sources to NOT salt the meat mixture for a burger BEFORE forming the patties. Rather, just salt the exterior. This picture can attest to that.

So, would it follow that you should do the same with meatballs? Ive never seen a recipe mention it however. Maybe the egg or soaked breadcrumbs in the meatball mix could interfere with the salt so that something akin to that picture does not happen to the meatballs. But Id be curious to see if only salting the EXTERIOR of the meatballs could yield meatballs with superior texture.

Any opinions?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=zVbkC6eMNtA
aht.seriouseats.com/archives/2009/12/the-burger-lab-salting-ground-beef.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

try it out OP and keep us posted

I definitely salt the outside of meatballs, OP, but I think some of the recipes I've found on serious eats (which I take to be a pretty rigorous source of cooking knowledge) use salt in the mix, as well.

I'd look on SE if you want a definitive conclusion to your question

I got a recipe for you famjam

youtube.com/watch?v=zVbkC6eMNtA

Oh fuck no.

Not today.

Not like this.

provided you can keep the meat moist enough throughout with other additions it isn't a big deal like you said. the patty on the right looks like it was formed really tightly and left to sit for a while before cooking too honestly

i premake and freeze turkey meatballs for easy go to dinners, so maybe next time i prep em i could do a quick lil side-by-side science experiment. if i do, ill let you guys know. however if anyone else wants to chime in, thatd be great.

Both of those burgers look undercooked. They should be brown all throughout. You don't fuck around with ground beef.

or you grind it yourself and it presents the same risk as a steak .... or youre kidding ... >:DAODHFUAIDOPIgh

He's right you know.

the patty on the right looks decidedly better than the one on the left

Fuck off to reddit, tripfag. Good quality ground beef can be eaten raw if proper care is taken handling it. Not only have I personally eaten burgers cooked medium for over 30 years, I've served literally thousands of them back in my days as a lunch shift line cook. Even health code only requires an internal temp of 155° Fahrenheit, which is more of a medium to medium well, to be considered safe.

it's not the quality of the beef, it's the quality and sanitation of everywhere it has been after it has been ground

So I don't know what Third World shit hole you post from but pretty much every grocer I shop at grinds in house on machines in open view to customers. And these are not boutique farmer's market places, I'm talking national chains. Further, my post explicitly stated that proper care should be taken in handling. Poor sanitation equals poor quality.

pure idiocy. always salt and rest. natural binder.

Right one is more packed together than left one. When making patties loose ground meat shape them loosely if you are cooking on a flat top or pan. Pack it a little tighter if on grill. I cook my patties straight from fridge as having them at room temperature makes them fall apart.

I've made burgers from supermarket ground beef a couple dozen times with no issues.

I mix salt and pepper in and mix it and it does not come out looking like that shit on the right i also dont over mix it like that one

That picture is wrong or misleading. The one on the right has been compressed quite a bit, making the patty flat and uniform. I salt my burgers prior to forming the patties and they look like the left. I don't sit there and smoosh it down like it is on the right.

maybe you salt them then cook pretty soon afterwards, whereas the one in the picture had the salt in the mixture for hours. Honestly, I would like to trust the creator of that picture since he mostly subscribes to science, where the truth is more important than the result... who knows though unless you do it yourself

I think this would only apply for small meatballs. Larger ones definitely need the salt mixed in

Add the salt to the mix.

hamburgers are a meat patty. moisture rules apply

meatballs are a dough, with loose proteins bound together with starches and fiber

other than that it's too taste

when i make patties, i always mix in my seasoning into the meat mix and it always comes out looking like on the left side.

> canadian spotted

you know this image is from J Kenji-Alt Cuc and therefor absolute bullshit, right?
here's the post, judge for yourself what a joke it is in terms of methodology. Dude would get fired from a high school frog experiment.

aht.seriouseats.com/archives/2009/12/the-burger-lab-salting-ground-beef.html

>you know this image is from J Kenji-Alt Cuc and therefor absolute bullshit, right?

dont know who that is. just randomly lurking Veeky Forums and came across this thread. i figured it was bullshit.

it is. dude literally tried to compare making beef sausage patties to actual hamburgers and did most of it all wrong, and pass it off as some eternal lesson in salt use, it's ultimate tier wank stroke