You will never play the glass bead game

>you will never play the glass bead game

iktf ;_;

where is the literature discussion in this post?

>write an entire book about a fictional game
>author is so unimaginative the game and its rules are never described outside of sweeping phrases in purple prose about how magnificent it is and how it "synthesizes" so many fields

Stopped reading midway because reasons.

What was it all about?

are you retarded lol? it's not a "game" in the colloquial sense

>missed the point of the book this hard

I don't remember in enough detail to tell you, I read it months ago but had this shitpost stored in the back of my mind

>are you retarded lol xD?
>i don't even remember the book, i'm just an immature shitposter

Yeah, I'm pretty sure you're the retarded one here.

that wasn't me but ok

you're definitely retarded

your reading comprehension is pretty bad for someone in the literature board

So what is the glass bead game if not a game? Why is it called a game and treated as a game (in a colloquial sense of having players and rules [albeit these rules are never described in detail])?

Is there a point to the novel that I missed? Aside from circle-jerking about how nice academia is? I have heard many people say this is Hesse's best work but also heard speculation that there must have been political motivations for this book receiving the praise it received.

>You will never have the quarter of a fifth of a hundredth of the mastery of any academic subject required to play the glass bead game even at its most entry level

i played marbles once

>once
you just reminded me that I was the marbles champ on my block

I'm on my phone but the tldr is the game is a proxy or abstraction of "art" in the grandest sense

>Aside from circle-jerking about how nice academia is?

Did you not read the ending? If that is what you extracted you really need to work on your reading skills m8.

Ever since I was a young boy, I've played the silver ball.

"Das Glasperlenspiel" is like "Anathem" on steroids. Best thing Hesse ever wrote.

Play Nomic.

What was the ending supposed to mean?

I understood it to contrast the ultimate sterility of his entire life as an academic to the fruitfulness of his death just days after entering the real world.

The ultimate fruit of his life is the awakening of Tito, the young boy. This is how I saw it

what was the name of that board game Samuel Delany described in "Triton", again?

Top 5 novel of all time. This was Hesse's best novel.

Just hit play. Good song.