Write almost six pages of novel in one sitting

>write almost six pages of novel in one sitting
>out of fear of it being shit, pretend it doesn't exist for three days
>eventually go back and read it over
>it's absolutely beautiful, almost brought a tear to my eye
>legitimately surprised that I was capable of writing such good prose

Anyone else ever experience this?

(pic unrelated, couldn't find anything good)

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/egVrVCpB
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Post excerpts

Yes. I oscillate between thinking I'm writing vapid shit and thinking I'm the second coming of Joyce every few days during the process of writing my books. I'm just a bit over halfway through the second one now. It'll either be an all-time masterpiece or will never get published.

This is the part I just finished reading over. The story itself is written with an unreliable narrator and most of this scene was meant to imply that.

pastebin.com/egVrVCpB

Also keep in mind this is about halfway through Chapter 5 of the story itself.

If it helps any, the actual descriptions of the scene were deliberately meant to seem grossly over-exaggerated and even a little delusional.
The whole point is that while the narrator saw himself as a part of this picture-perfect scene, everybody else was just living life, and either tolerating or actively ignoring the narrator (even though he doesn't notice this).

Writing deliberately 'flawed' descriptions that don't just sound like shit prose is not easy.

I'm not that other guy and here's my reaction.

It wasn't actively terrible but it wasn't interesting either. Though that's to be expected when we're jumping into the middle of a random chapter without knowing what the book is even about.

I suppose that's about as good as I could expect.

it's pretty gay, my dude

No I get that, and I'm not saying it's awful, I think it's just a bit too purple for its own good. All of the adverbs, and some awkward phrasing ("wolfing down" a drink, for example, doesn't land quite right to me) serve to distract from the effect. I think you could cut out words like "remotely" and have a more pristine result.

I've gotten teary eyed with some of my stuff after forgotting about ever even writitng it, mostly because my characters (i.e. myself) give each other (i.e. myself) better emotional support than anybody ever has to me.

recently i discovered the internet wayback machine had archived an early iteration of my website, and i went back and read the stuff i was writing fifteen years ago.

some of it was wretched. but some of it left me wondering "why don't i have cool ideas like that any more?"

as one of Frank Zappa's musicians remarked on the album "Sheik Yerbouti"..

"Whatever happened to all the fun in the world?"

I really can't tell what's worse: the fact that someone--you--wrote this, or that someone--you--could be proud of it. Please give up any and all ambitions regarding writing, and please, for the love god and the holy ghost, don't think this is one of those I'm-jealous-so-I'm-going-to-shit-on-this-guy's-writing posts, because it isn't; on the contrary, it is actual, sincere advice: give up.

It's pretty much the opposite for me. I'll write out a massive chunk of my work, let it stew for a while, then come back to it weeks/months later wondering what the fuck was I was thinking. I usually still like the core idea, it's just a matter of correcting all the little grammar fuck-ups and snipping away those unnecessary paragraphs to keep the story from meandering or stalling out.

But even then I come across things I've completely forgot about and think "Oh wow, that's a neat little detail," which is always a nice feeling.

what, you don't like his message? it got the point across. what more do you want? characterization? intertextuality? a story arc? subtext? in a freakin' Veeky Forums post?

>a single thought forced its way into my thoughts

The shameless repetition of words makes me think you're trolling

top kek

your story produced a feeling of uncomfortable intimacy for me op
i noticed a lot of flaws and awkward phrases and stuff but overall it took me somewhere, so nice job

That's something I'm trying to work on. My problem is that I can't seem to keep up a level of variation in my language use that doesn't sound forced.

"Uncomfortable intimacy" is pretty much exactly what was I going for. Thanks.

>a single thought appeared in my mind, forcing its way into my conscious thoughts and demanding an audience in my brain before it would disappear forever. The thought was this:

>a single thought appeared in my mind, forcing its way into consciousness and demanding an audience before it would disappear forever. It was this:

Here's one way I'd improve it this small part, as a sort of hint.

>I'm-jealous-so-I'm-going-to-shit-on-this-guy's-writing
>imagining this guy finding the dash instead of the space each time
kek

Actually, I'd change it to "to the forefront of my consciousness" or even rather "to clarity" which I find better given that your, in great detail, explain the thought later.

"To be preferred by far it is to be detached from things,
but what to do when rain falls not without your behest?"