I just defrosted 2 chicken breasts...

I just defrosted 2 chicken breasts, how do I make it not taste like cardboard without using some supper sophisticated techniques/ingredients?

Other urls found in this thread:

gimmesomeoven.com/baked-chicken-breast/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>>Taste
All you need is salt, pepper, and a good sear. You can also add whatever spices or seasonings you want. Chicken breast is a blank slate--flavor it however you like.

>>cardboard texture
Don't overcook it.

Alas, that latter part might be tricky if you don't have much experience or a thermometer. chicken breast is super lean so there is very fine line between being properly cooked and overcooked-and-dry. Doubly so if it was frozen.

How do you even make chicken breast taste like cardboard? All you have to do is not overcook it and it's good. Simplest thing in the world. The oven does the fucking work for you, you just have to casually monitor it and you'll end up with something edible. It's idiot-proof food.

Take pan, some oil, slice onion longways, add in sliced chicken, carmelize onions and cook chicken through, add peppers, season to taste, serve over rice.

There you go, easy as shit solid chicken recipe and it'll taste great.

>Alas

fedoras OUT reee

salt/garlic salt in some water for 2-3 hours

any seasonings to fit your taste when you pan fry sear them. I if they are super thick i sear both sides for 1-2 minutes for color then pop in the oven so i dont over cook

don't fucking over cook it

Why would you cook chicken breast in the oven when using a pan is:
A) faster
B) uses less energy
C) gets a sear which tastes good.

Explain yourself.

Salt
Pepper
Garlic powder
Chilli

depends on how thick the chicken breast is. if you want to cook a thick breast properly without butterflying it then lower and slower in the oven is required. always use a meat thermometer if you don't want to overcook your chicken breast

Because I like to make them in big batches and store them for quick lunches throughout the week. Also they come out best in the oven if they're huge breasts (huehue).

If I'm just doing a few smaller ones, I'll butterfly them and put them in the pan with a little butter and lemon, which is delicious.

PAN

NICE AND HOT

A TOUCH OF OLIVE OIL

CHICKEN

DICE

SEASON BEAUTIFULLY

CHICKEN

IN

STIR

ONION

GARLIC

FREAGRANT

CHOPPED NICELY

IN

TOSS

A TOUCH OF WOOSTERSHER SAUCE

FINISH WITH SPRING ONIONS

DONE

It should temp at at least 165 degrees Fahrenheit

>temp it bro just temp it
TO WHAT

>if you want to cook a thick breast properly without butterflying it then lower and slower in the oven is required

Nope. Just sear it in the pan at high heat first. Once you have a good sear then just lower the heat to finish cooking through.

>>big batches
OK, I can see that as a compromise for practicality. Do you have a grill? That's even better than the oven for batches.

place 1-4 chicken breasts on a paper plate. Microwave on high until done in the center, sprinkle some salt and eat. Yum.

it'll be uneven and dry

Why on earth would you think that? Are you inept at grilling? I honestly don't understand how you can get it to come out juicy in the oven but think it would be dry when grilled because the procedure is the exact same: put chicken in. Close lid/door. Remove when done but not over-done. If you can do that in the oven then you can do that with a grill.

You sicken me

replying to pan on low einstein

grill is fine, but prepping and cleaning a grill is fucking annoying (especially if shit gets rained on constantly)

>replying to pan on low

Same principle, user. It's only dry if you leave it there too long. Same as the oven, grill, deep fryer, broiler, or any other cooking method.

>>grilling is annoying
I'd rather clean the grill than the oven since the fire does 95% of the work for me. To each his own I suppose.

This is the only valid answer in the whole thread

Onions? But garlic salt and pepper is enough

you have shit taste. if you think pan on low isn't inferior to even heated cooking through oven or grill.

>To each his own I suppose.

i guess all that wasted propane doesn't factor in for you as well. plus all the propane flavour you get on your food. but that's personal taste i guess...

If you can't cook chicken evenly in a pan then you can't cook.

>>propane
Who said anything about propane? Wood bro. Wood. That's the whole fucking point of using the grill. Why bother if you'd be using gas?

fucking context retard. original post you replied to was about cooking a THICK whole breast of chicken. doing that in a pan will be uneven COMPARED TO a grill or oven

Why? Do the laws of thermodynamics magically change between a pan vs an oven or on the grill? Does your oven summon some kind of eldritch powers to heat the thin parts of the chicken less than the thick parts or is it indiscriminate like most ovens?

do you even know how the laws of thermodynamics works retard? do you know the difference between direct and indirect cooking is? holy fucking shit

I slice chicken breast thinly. Then coat in an egg mix and then breadcumbs.
It takes a short time to fry. Sometimes I add spices to the breadcrumb mix.
Get the oil very hot - I use corn oil. Olive oil will not reach a high temperature.
Eat with fresh lettuce, tomatoes and some nice bread.

Preheat oven to 400 salt and pepper both sides of chicken add butter to pan put pan in oven for 1 minute take out pan add chicken cook 15 minutes flip cook 8 minutes on first flip add bbq sauce or hot sauce.

Holy shit are you me?

fucking brine it, either dry or wet. You can look up the seriouseats article for trusted explanation on the concept.

you could also fry it after the brine, coated in buttermilk and dredged in a slightly damp flour OR dredged in flour, dipped in eggwash and dredged through breadcrumbs

OR you could rub it with some random spices that a natural affinity for chicken (coriander, cayenne, paprika....) and grill it or pan sear or roast, just be careful that you dont overcook it (THERMOMETER TO ~160-162)

ALTHOUGH one thing i always am unsure of is, how much do i salt the outside of a chicken after a wet brine? However, a dry brine solves that problem. Perhaps ill just have to go thru some trial and error

Call me Marco Pierre White or a Knorr shill if you must, but seriously: dust it with chicken stock powder/bouillon powder/granulated chicken broth instead of salt and pan-cook as normal.

If you're incapable/unable to learn good technique and/or to buy and use good ingredients, this shortcut is no great sin. I see it as no different to using celery salt, onion salt, chilli salt or herb salt, each of which are traditional ingredients in some cuisine or other.
So why not chicken salt?

only decent answers

heat a pan
heat the oven
oil in the pan
salt and black pepper on the chicken
sear it
put it in the oven for a minute (two/five/ten depending on thickness)
jam an unfolded paperclip into the thickest part of the breast, remove it and immediately touch it to the underside of your bottom lip.
if it's HOT, your chicken titty is done. if it's not quite hot, check it again in another minute or two. if it's cold, you misjudged the cook time based on thickness. add five minutes and check again.
don't hammer it.

deglaze the pan with chicken stock if you have some.

this
brine and dine baby

Quick question lads, could I open a pack of chicken and take out just what I need and put clingfilm over the rest and freeze it?

Brine that shit!

cover in olive oil, then coat in cajun spice and
slap on grill.

blacken chicken is my favorite.
I'm fucking retarded, but even i can make it, and it tastes good.

Depends when you're using the rest of it

>Quick question lads, could I open a pack of chicken and take out just what I need and put clingfilm over the rest and freeze it?

Sure. I do this often. Sometimes I put it back in the fridge if I know I'm going to use it in the next few days. Otherwise it goes into the freezer.

Though, it will resist freezer burn better if you wrap the chicken itself rather than wrapping the whole package. The idea is that the plastic wrap (or bag) should contact the chicken directly, with no "air space" between the chicken and the plastic. Best thing is a vacuum sealer.

>but even i can make it

Apparently not since the procedure you described is not "blackening" at all.

Blackening was invented by Paul Prudhomme. The technique is to get an iron pan ripping hot. So hot that the seasoning is destroyed and turns to white ash in the pan. The food is coated with seasonings and melted butter and then is placed in the pan. The pan must be so hot & the flame so strong that the butter literally vaporizes. The food doesn't actually touch the pan, it floats across the surface on a thin layer of steam due to the leidenfrost effect. Needless to say this requires so much heat and makes a lot of smoke so it is impossible to do indoors unless you are talking about a professional kitchen with an industrial vent hood & high-power gas burner, like that used for woks at a Chinese place.

You're just putting cajun spices on chicken and grilling it. Call it blacked if you want, but it's not the same method.

Let it marinade in citrus overnight

nigga, what did i just say?
I'm fucking retarded. I can't cook.

Stew it.

Bit of oil. Loads of pepper. Griddle for 5 mins each side then i to the over for 20 mins to finish

I'm genuinely unable to understand how people complain about chicken breasts being dry when every time I roast them they turn out beautifully juicy.

>what did i just say?

"even i can make it"

Lots of people overcook chicken due to being inept or being irrationally fearful of under-cooked chicken.

Ah I understand thanks, would a ziploc bag be a good alternative to vacuum sealed bags?

Yes, just press all the air out before you seal the bag.

Cling wrap works good too. Just wrap the chicken by itself so the film is touching the chicken all over rather than wrapping the whole package so there is airspace inside.

Chunk it, salt/pepper it, sear it and add fresh garlic

gimmesomeoven.com/baked-chicken-breast/

You can change up the rub/seasoning any way you like, just make sure it can stand high heat without burning.

Piri piri Chicken

2 tbsp McCormicks piri piri blend
3 tbsp Olive oil
1 tsp Herbes de Provence (thyme or Italian blend may work)
2 tbsp White wine vinegar
1 tsp Salt
4 Garlic Cloves minced/finely chopped

optional:

Liquid piri piri hot sauce to taste (approx. 2tsp)

mix well

Use Jacques Pepin recipe for application instructions and cooking.

Works for an actual bird.

Let's preface this by saying most of the people in this thread are really fucking stupid and everything they say should be ignored.

Unless those breasts are thin as fuck they're going to dry out if you try cooking them directly in a pan.

You want the oven - 325 I don't know how fucking thick they are so get yourself a meat thermometer or alternatively place your head in the oven and kill yourself.

Lay the chicken breast out in a pyrex, coat them gently with a layer of mayo - not shit heinz, Sir Kensingtons or make your own or something, it isn't hard, fucking google it.

NOW SALT PEPPER AND BREADCRUMBS

ONCE THE OVEN HAS HEATED PUT THE CHICKEN IN.

COOK TO 165 BUT IF YOU WANT IT EXTRA JUICY TAKE IT OUT AT 160 I WON'T TELL. JUST LET IT SIT A BIT (5 Minutes) AND THE RESIDUAL HEAT WILL BRING IT UP TO 165.

I salt mine lightly after a brine. There's definitely some residual saltiness.

Marinade it for at least half an hour. Maybe even cut it into bite sized pieces.
Anything will do, within reason. Alcohol works to help with flavor and tenderizing, so does sugar... fucking yogurt even works well. Spice that shit up with whatever you think would taste good to you. Got any spices? Which ones?

If you're still around, what alcohol, spices, and sauces do you have at hand? Fuck it, make a list of shit you have in your kitchen and I'll make you a recipe. This invitation is open to anyone.

No, I cook on an electric range and my shit comes out juicy and tasty from a pan. It's about heat, movement, and tenderization, in my opinion. Not a chef, but I cook my meals almost every night. I'm willing to build a recipe if anyone wants to list their ingredients.

would bang/10

hahaha you fucking faggot

"NOT A CHEF"

Well said

EXPLAIN YOURSELF

I'm stuck with an electric stove, please teach me your ways.

>no "THYME."

it's like you didn't even try

>ctrl+f tenderize
>fuck-all responses

Cover it in plastic wrap and beat your chicken breast within an inch of its afterlife with a hammer. You don't even need a real tenderizer. I use one, but that's because I'm a faggot. You can even use your fists, if you need to. About half a centimeter is thin enough.

Heat your pan till it's hotter than Satan's asshole. Throw the chicken in, salt+pepper it. A few minutes later, flip the bird, salt+pepper again. When it reaches an internal temperature of 165°F, which is roughly google° Celsius, it's done. An easy way to tell, if you don't have a thermometer, is to cut the meat in half; if the juices are fully transparent, you should be good.

I love your prose. Usually I have to review a recipe before using it, but I'm pretty sure I'll remember yours.

Question: salt+pepper it AFTER we place it in the pan?

Took some chickey breasts earlier
Made a breading from coconut flour, sea salt, garlic and pepper and fried it in ghee

Topped the breasts with homemade pineapple salsa. Prety fuckin dank tbqh

Season All and Garlic powder for a simple trick.

If you wanna get crazy, put em in a bag with olive oil, squeezed orange and lime juice and oregano and let it sit over night before you grill em.

Or you can make a good chimichurri and do the same thing, let em marinade overnight. Thats the best way to do it. Be sure to Brine them first if you want em to be extra juicy and have nice browning.

Before or after works, just make sure to get both sides.

>You can even use your fists
I think I'll actually do this, since I'm too much of a poorfag to buy a hammer.

simply sell the chicken breast at a discounted price so you can buy a dollar store mallet.

Secondary comment: if you're using a frying pan that you can't scour clean (i.e. anything but a straight metal surface) make sure to butter or oil your pan.

TENDIES

>wash plastic shoppingbag
>stick chikkkin titties in plastic bag
>put on counter top and smack it like you would your parents head for not loving you as a child
>awaken your inner psychopath.

I'm seriously planning on doing this. The fact that I live in a college dorm is going to make it so much more ridiculous.

make sure you scream YOU NEVER GOT ME A PONY!!!! and YOU NEVER CARED WHEN I TOLD YOU DADDY FUCKED ME!!!! and of course the all time great I JUST WANTED TO BE THE LITTLE GIRL, BUT YOU WOULDNT LOVE ME BECAUSE I WAS A TRANSBOY, DIE CIS SCUM. that last one is guaranteed to get you a full ride scholarship.

Marinate that shit
Or at least put it in a dry rub of some sort and let it sit for a half hour.
If you're cooking in a pan I like to add a bit of animal fat into the cooking oil, assuming that you're not shelling out a lot of money for high quality oil (eg good olive oil) the added flavor is nice.
This is also because pork shoulder is often 2 bucks a pound where I live, so I buy a shit load of fatty cuts and I have a shit load of trimmings.

Ramsay would butterfly a breast first for it to cook evenly (google it, OP) and then fry it on a grill pan. Every time I follow this I get perfect chick titties

or you can just slice it from the side to make it thin. tenderizing chiken breats is fucking retarded, you are ruining it.

There is literally no reason to not tenderize chicken.