I need help Veeky Forums... I've been drinking beer since I was around 15 years old (24 now) and...

I need help Veeky Forums... I've been drinking beer since I was around 15 years old (24 now) and, while I've had my share of rums, tequilas and wines, I've never been big into spirits and other liquors. Until recently, this qt Asian girl I was dating got me into whiskey, 2 years ago. I know there's single malt and blended and lots of other stuff to look at, but I feel like I still don't know shit about whiskeys and I'm sure I've only had entry-level stuff; JDs, Black Label, Glenlivet (the "cheap" one with the light blue label)... I thought this last one was pretty good compared to the others, but I've seen it has shit ratings everywhere. So far, pic related has been my go to, since it's not expensive and tastes good enough to me. I read that red label is cheap quality and meant to be mixed, is that the case with white label too? I just wanna know my shit before I order something at a bar.

>>tldr; what's a decent whiskey within the $20-40 price range / what else should someone who's getting into whiskeys try or move up to

whiskey or qtddto thread I guess

Laphroaig Quarter Cask

Bulleit Rye is my go-to inexpensive whiskey. A handle is like $35 at Costco.

At that price range you'll find much better bourbons than scotches. You will NOT find a decent scotch for $20, anywhere. So look for Wild Turkey 101, or if you can get it, Larceny.

Came here to say this. I really like bulleit (and it's pronounced like 'bullet' don't do what I did and try to make it sound french)

Monkey Shoulder
Bulleit Rye
Knob Creek Maple (If you're into sweet stuff)
Eagle Rare (might be ~$45)
Buffalo Trace

First off there are many different types of whiskey. You seem like a scotch drinker. Don't mix scotch with anything, don't drink scotch that's made for "mixing" Scotch is a rich man's drink. I'm a bartender and I generally turn my nose up at anything under $50 a bottle. Bourbon is next up. There's some great mid priced bourbons. One of my faves is larceny and Cumberland cask. Lots of craft bourbon companies right now. Have fun and experiment. As for $20 bottles, just find the cheap shitty whiskey that you love. At that level you are arguing Coke to Pepsi. My fave cheap whiskey has been Jameson for many years. It's sweet and smooth with a nice malty finish.

>I read that red label is cheap quality and meant to be mixed, is that the case with white label too? I just wanna know my shit before I order something at a bar.
This is pretty much the case. When you're talking JW Red / Black / Gold / Blue Label and Dewars, you're talking just straight-up blended scotch, which is the lowest tier: malted barley spirits blended with cheaper grain spirits. Plenty of decent blends out there (Compass Box, Pig's Nose).

Vatted / Pure Malt is a step up; it's blends of different malted barley spirits usually from different distilleries. No other cheap grain spirits, just barley. JW Green Label is an example. You don't see these as often.

Single malts are the next level up. They're products of a single distillery. They are still usually a mix from different casks at that distillery to get a consistent flavor across the entire bottling, but the quality comes from it being sourced from one location. This is your Glenlivet, as well as Macallan, Glendronach, Glenfarclas, and all those other Scottish names.

watch ralfystuff on youtube

Op here, I wasn't really expecting such helpful responses. This is just what I was looking for. Thanks y'all

Huh, weird.

It's named after/made by this cheeky cunt right here

This
Not this.

Stick to keystone

scotch is generally gonna be smoother than bourbon

that being said, bourbon is sweeter and i love it. try some of the basics, turkey 101 and makers mark. 101 is pretty much the classic alchy choice

laphroaig wit BBQ sunflower seed and chorizo make me ATM withdrawl BB

go laphroaig 10 year, it taste like a green carpet but its so comfortable idk so smoky and rich

>An Asian girl got you into whiskey

It's time to turn in your balls, son. You don't need them any more.

thank god for such manly 4channers to set me straight! :)

WL Wellers also a good starting place definitely smooth and not spicy since it's wheated

Black Bottle and Isle of Skye 8 are the best flavor to price Scotch Whiskeys in my opinion. You need to learn what the differences between whiskeys are and then try different types to see what your personal taste is. If you like bourbon or scotch, if you like peat or sherry, corn or grain, etc...

Can't go wrong with this

(OP)
Can't go wrong with this

Speyburn is the best scotch whiskey for the money. $20 for a fifth, but it drinks like a $80 scotch.

God damn Bulleit is the jam.If you ever want to make a girly drink that gives you a manly drunk, get the Bulleit rye and make a Ward 8.

>Glenlivet (the "cheap" one with the light blue label)
Thats the Founders Reserve, its rated badly because its a no age statement scotch and has a rather weak finish.
From your tastes I assume you prefer more delicate scotch so I'd say try the Glendronach 12, Glenmorangie Lasanta or Quinta Ruban, Auchentoshan 12 and Cragganmore 12.
If you want to get into peaty stuff (basically smells and tastes like smoked foods) try either Highland Park 12 or Bowmore Laimrig.

>If you want to get into peaty stuff (basically smells and tastes like smoked foods) try either Highland Park 12 or Bowmore Laimrig.
or Caol Ila

Yeah Caol Ila 12 is a good one too from what I heard. I wanted to try a dram 2 weeks ago but my local pub ran out so I went for the Laimrig instead. It was 2 bucks more but I was not disappointed regardless of Bowmore's reputation as a subpar Islay brewery

I've found that single malts in most bars/pubs tend not to be so good because of poor storing of the bottles. I once tried Highland Park 12yo in a pub and it tasted like a generic blend, like Famous Grouse or something.

Personally am a big fan of Jameson, I find it to be a lot smoother than Jack Daniel's if you drink it straight or on the rocks. I found that Jack is a lot better for mixing with coke or pepsi in comparison to Jameson. Only bourbon I've had is some Jim Bean and that shit is tasty.

My only problem with Jameson is that it went from 25 a 750ml bottom to 28 like two weeks ago. Probably from state taxes, but damn it I'm still salty.

Lagavulan 16yo is tasty
As is Bowmore 15yo.

this. turkey 101 has a wonderfully sweet, caramely flavor. a good alternative if you like a bit more char is Old Grandad 100.

Well it mainly depends on the lighting since most bottles are kept out with spotlights on them to illuminate the shelves so it probably helps in quicker oxidation and weakness of the spirit.
However Ive usually been lucky with my drams, the bars here in Toronto are a bit more aware of this fact and Ive never had a bad dram even of a lower priced single malt like an Auchentoshan or Tomatin.
Another reason could be a bad batch from the barrels that went into the bottle you had your ounce from. Ive never tried Highland Park though so I have no idea what their production quality is like.
JD is the most overrated spirit in North America. The flavors are bland and subpar for a Southern US whisky and it reminds me a lot of a cheap rye used purely for mixing, it upsets me whenever I see stupid upper 20s men and women buy that trash when Knob Creek and Evan Williams are far better.

Yo can you make me dewars white label with coke?

That's what the flight attendants serve me on my flights and shit us delicious like you wouldn't know it

wefwef

i was born to love u