Kawell in the Kitchen: Mushroom Marinara Papperdelle

Happy Friday all. Been sometime since I made a thread but I wanted to do some cooking tonight and said why not. We're looking to fix some mushroom marinara papperdelle; nothing too extravagant, just some end of the week dinner. Afterwards, getting blasted. Lot of wine in the house right now, think some whiskey hidden away somewhere too. Let's get down to it though.

Posting live from the kitchen.

First things first. Going to prep an entire yellow onion, and about half the cloves on this bulb of garlic.

>generic olive oil

I'll monitor this thread, especially for balcony garden updates at halftime :)

I'm rooting for you that the cloves are easily skinned. So mote it be.

Not a deal breaker. Lets see what you got, OP.

Monitoring.

I've thought of making some threads like this. I rarely come here but I keep up some good stuff at least twice a week. Just made an apple pie actually.

>keep up
Cook up

Do it. OC is the only fresh air we get from fast food and Jack threads.

The balcony garden has taken a real hit over the month. Had a problem with white fungus in my beans and had to dispatch them and cycle in new dirt. Same with the brussel sprouts and radishes. The carrots are still going strong as are all the herbs. One of my basil are starting to bolt though due to a few missed watering days. In the next few weeks I'm going to get some real hanging planters and upgrade from the beer cups. My Thai chili plant is huge now though, very happy with that. I'll snag a picture later on.

Missed your threads my man. Keep up all the comfy vibes.

Getting a real nostalgia feeling from your cutting board. I swear my mother's is the same, down to the grain.

The onion and garlic is going to go in the dutch oven with some olive oil and butter to sweat for a bit. While that gets going were going to dice up the tomatoes.

In they go.

he is your mother

We're going to add the tomato to the dutch oven and let it go to town. When it gets darker in color well add the mushrooms were about to prep, and then a little cabernet sauvignon to take it up a notch.

Don't talk to me or my chef son ever again.. or however that joke is supposed to go..

Tomatoes in and temperature raised from a low sweat to a medium simmer so we can get all that delicious tomato goodness extracted.

Does it always take you 30 minutes to chop some onion garlic and tomato and throw it in a pot? That would take me about 3 minutes, maybe 4.

Mushroom time. Going to get these guys under some water for a good scrub down then cut them large in size. Or somewhat large, at least.

how do you stand the tomato skin

its gross texture wise

It's actually surprisingly time consuming to cook, take pictures, type, dick around with the captcha and make sure nothing overcooks. Just sit back and relax man, this thread is going to be happening for the next few hours. Grab a drink and chill.

I've never really had a problem with texture, but I know what you're saying. If I had more time I would blanch the tomatoes and peel the skins off. It's already been a pretty long day though, I'm just looking to cook and eat.

The base is coming together nicely, very aromatic. Time to drop in the mushroom and wine.

This would've taken me about 7 minutes to get to this point. I'm sorry but this is raising my blood pressure, I'm out.

Just going to let that do its thing now while we work on the pasta. When it reduces enough well throw in some basil, Italian seasoning, small amount of lemon juice, black pepper and salt to taste.

Thanks for stopping by.

Our pasta dough recipe is 1c AP flour, 1c semolina flour, 3 eggs, 1 tbsp olive oil and 1 tsp salt. This is enough to make 4 portions of pasta. Tonight I'm making 1/4 and freezing the rest, it'll keep about a month.

Going to wrap it in plastic wrap and let it sit for about 20 minutes so the gluten can relax a bit. Then we'll quarter it and roll it out.

Gonna use this downtime wisely. Do some dishes and begin the drinking.

Mushroom marinara looking great. Should be done reducing by the time the pasta is all ready.

Quartering the dough; let's start folding and rolling.

I'll fold it a few times over to help build the gluten layers.

All ready to boil

are you drinking a Cab in a chilled glass?
That's fucking disgusting.

While the pasta is going were going to finish seasoning the marinara.

To each their own bud

Marinara is done, keeping it on warm.
About to drain the pasta, then we can plate up.

the sauce looks great, im not a huge pasta fan, but i would eat the sauce by itself, reminds of homemade tomato soup just, top shit.

Thanks man, tastes really great.

And here we have it, Mushroom Marinara Pappardelle.

Gonna get my grub on, thanks for sticking around those who did.

Looks good famalam

checking back saw the thread last night but didnt want to wait around. i would eat the crap out of that dish.

damn son lookin good

I really need to try making some fresh pasta one of these days like how mario baltali does with the volcano of flour with egg in the middle

did you get that grinder off amazon? I think my dad has the same one and loves it

Solid presentation OP.
Looks delicious.

Enjoy, famiglia.

>did you get that grinder off amazon?

Nah I'm down the street from a Bed and Bath. Great place if I need a small essential for the kitchen, if not somewhat over priced.

You use a machine to cut the pasta? Also, what's in the seasoning that you finished the marinara off w? Thinkin of making somethin like this so I'm curious. Good thread though OP

No machine, it's all cut and rolled out by hand with a rolling pin and knife. The seasoning at the end was fresh basil, red pepper, italian seasoning, cracked black pepper and salt. There was about a table spoon on lemon juice near the end also.

Oh alright cool. I got no pasta machine either cuz broke as fuck so I've had to cut it by hand. Just wondering

>if not somewhat over priced
you have to use the 20% coupon to make the prices normal

a pizza cutter would work good if you already have one