Open up a beer

>open up a beer
>smells like skunk weed
what the fuck??

It's lightstruck. Basically it got exposed to too much light sitting on the shelf, and it's fucked.

I'm drinking it right now and it still tastes okay. How are stores supposed to sell their beer without exposing it to light? And if I want to avoid this problem, am I basically restricted to buying it in a can or a very dark bottle?

It isn't the stores fault. It's the fucking retarded brewers that still use clear and green bottles or small ass labels. Dark colored glass or cans is the only way.

Or, buy beer from the tap. On-tap beers have been in kegs from the moment they left the brewery. Otherwise, cans are your best bet.

>now my burps smell like weed
fuck, all this is doing is making me wish I had bought some weed instead of some beer lol

welp, fucking capitalism

LOL, i agree. You just got fucked in the ass by capitalism

DUDE

Cans are cheaper to make, can and transport

There's just a retarded stigma on good beer in cans which is thankfully dying in recent years

>I'm drinking it right now and it still tastes okay
lol n/m this last bottle really tastes awful
still drinking it tho

It's that nightshade smell that is similar from hops to bud. Look it up man.

You bought a shitty beer and it turned out to be even shittier.

Spotted the west coast shitter.

Yuengling is a meme. Support the local brewery all you want, but don't try to pass it off as anything good. It's a marked up pabst.

Try Dankasaurus

Forgot pic

That doesn't even make remotely sense, anyone who has tasted the two would know the difference.

Not that Yuengling is all that good, but it's probably the one of the better cheap beers. PBR literally doesn't taste anything at all.

You might as well compare bottom shelf vodka. One might taste a little better than the other, but ultimately no one buys it for taste. Same goes for macro tier shit like Yuengling.
I buy grainbelt because its local, but I'd trade it for high life if it werent. I buy it to gulp down, not savor the mediocre at best flavor.

Some types of hop smell like ganja

I was listening to some podcast a few years back (can't remember what it was) but the dudes on there were saying that basically, green is the absolute worst bottle color you can put your beer in. It is the most susceptible to what is called 'light pollution'. Clear bottles were, surprisingly, better than green bottles because something to do with the way the light is intensified while passing through a certain color. Brown bottles were obviously the best at keeping beer un-skunked.

My uncle also says that he had a Heineken once on a tour of a production facility in Switzerland, and that it was like drinking a completely different beer. I guess the flavor profile really changes after being shipped internationally dealing with the heat + green bottle.

Yueng is fucking dank, you closet homosexual.

Weed and hops are from the same family.

OP here, I'm new to beers so I'm trying out the cheapo brands like Dos Equis, Budweiser, etc. I must say I was not impressed with Yuengling.

Try Negra modelo next

Clear bottles are an indicator. Also the packaging not being at least up to the neck, if not enclosing the entire bottle.

Both light and heat cause beer to prematurely skunk. It could also be the distributor, or even things such as individual truck or offloading in summer heat that could cause beers to lose their freshness.

Canned is an objectively better method of storage, but in the can v bottle debate in terms of drinking from instead of pouring into a glass, bottles win.

why the fuck would you open a yuengling

You can get away with clear or green bottles in retail if you use a tall package.

Not true, many breweries will filter their canned beer additionally (as compared to bottled beer). Draught is always preferable when possible though.