I used to come here and read a bunch of memes about "PhD in mathematics, 300k starting"

I used to come here and read a bunch of memes about "PhD in mathematics, 300k starting".

Now I'm an unemployed PhD in mathematics.

What do?

well technically you still have 300k starting.
as long as you don't start.

You can always just get a programming job like the rest of us. With a PhD you can probably get at least 150 starting from one of the big tech companies in Silicon Valley.

That's the winner, right there.

I studied pretty abstract stuff. I mostly used Matlab (lolz) on the few occasions where I used a computer.

you are fucked, grab a programming course quickly or else suffer the rest of your laifu as a NEET

>PhD in Mathematics
>any high school I want
>45k starting.

Getting a bad job will always be easy. There's no risk i can't find something.

What field of mathematics did you do research in?

You could teach yourself programming and get a software engineering job.

What is the most employable math to study for your PhD? I would say differential equations.

Actuary or statistician I suppose.

Something not pure math.

Surely. But I need a job now, not once I finish taking 20 edex courses.

I studied analysis, existence theory and the like for PDE's.

Some universities have these departments called "applied math" or "statistics". Those are what you should do.

>What field of mathematics did you do research in?

writing nonsensical scribbles on a blackboard is not really research, user

>PDEs
You can always sell your soul and become an economist. 300k/yr would be easy then.

Try doing math part-time to make ends meet, and soon you will come to the attention of those who want to employ you full-time.

I'm confused. "do math" isn't a way to make rent.

I could. But finance is a little evil. And they all really want master's students who have lots of programming experience anyway.

Observation: real PHDs don't come on Veeky Forums and go 'what do lol?'

Seriously, guys. Have a little common sense here.

Well I hadn't really expected it to be a "life advice" sort of thing.

I was more bored and expected a response closer to what /b/ would do.

I'll do anything reasonable to verify if you like. I can't post my diploma because I haven't received it yet, and I can't post the masters degree because it's from a university that makes extremely unique diplomas.

You should realize that real PhD's are just 27 year olds who had a low paying job for 5 years.

A lot of consulting companies offer starting positions for people with no experience. Worked for me, my internship only lasted 3 months instead of 8 because I did well.

I deal in benchmarking studies for transfer pricing.

I have a hard time believing somebody could go through grad school without seeing the jobs other people get or talking to faculty who know what many other students have gone on to do for a living, and instead chooses to not pay it any mind, become unemployed, and then post on Veeky Forums about being unemployed.

what was your degree? I am curious as to whether a b.s in applied math could land me a job.
is consulting competitive? I ask because I get a mixed message on whether the travel aspect deters enough people to compensate for the people attracted by the large salary.

How would a teetotaler fare in this business? I am very sociable but just don't like to drink.

If you got your phd anywhere decent, you are more than smart enough to get good enough at programming for at leaSt a 6 figure job. I literally knew no programming out of math phd. No one in my field even uses Matlab or mathematica. I just spent a couple of months reading and practicing programming for like 15 hours a day and wrecked all of my interviews. The cutthroat reputation is well deserved at the top places, but even at decent but not the very best places, the reputation is mostly from the fact that undergrads are typically stupid and lazy. For a math PhD with a work ethic, you can easily pick up a bachelor's degree worth of theoretical cs and practical programming knowledge in like half a year.

Don't go to finance. I used to work in finance. Unless you go to rentec, which is still slightly douchey, all other finance places, even very Quant ones like de shaw are fucking unbearable. Imagine all the math major kids who thought they were the smartest in one company, and none of the nice humble imposter syndrome ones

yeah if you're like socially outgoing and not at all autistic

>PhD in mathematics

As a student of mathematics this makes me cringe so hard.

And the faggots saying 'study programming' make me cringe even more.

If you got a PhD that means you want to be a professor, you want to teach. If were not planning to teach then why the hell would you get a PhD?

Stop being a faggot and start spamming universities with your curriculum.

>getting a PhD means you must want to teach
>getting a PhD somehow means you have to go into education
Could you at least not speak authoritatively when you spew shit out of the gaping asshole you call your mouth?

>If you got a PhD that means you want to be a professor, you want to teach. If were not planning to teach then why the hell would you get a PhD?

You're confusing PhD with EdD (Doctorate of education).

>finance is a little evil
what do you mean?

Not him, but he probably meant that working for the bankers is literally scum of the earth-tier.

what is so bad about working for the bankers

don't listen to autists

Well, fuck you too.

But in all seriousness, the quants I know that went the math PhD route and now work at my firm seem pretty happy.

Nothing except for the fact that working on Wall street means very very long hours. For instance, I do IB and I'm still in the office (2:40 am EST).

>Now I'm an unemployed PhD in mathematics.

What jobs have you tried applying for?

Yeah I still think you're lying. Even with your little "I'm so for real" speech.
Like this guy said: You don't get though that shit without having a solid idea what your options are going to be. And this guy is right: Teaching is one of the main options for a Phd.

Besides all that, the same thread shows up on here in some form or another like every other day.

Hard to believe there are so many clueless Phds out there, know what I'm saying?

It means you'll take profits that are undeserved and often hurt the little man.

Essentially you'll be a little goldstein jewy boy.

>degree
MSc in finance & accounting / Master of Law double major, I still haven't graduated though. As I said, the recruitment is focused not on degrees and experience because big consulting firms (Big 4, Big 3) prefer grooming their consultants to make sure they fit their work culture. First of all, they expect sharpness (the recruitment process begins with a psychometric test), good communication skills and interest in economy. Once they know you've got the proper mindset, they can teach you the rest.
A PhD in mathematics with an ability to read financial statements would be more than enough.

>competitive
There's a lot of highly ambitious people in there but from my observation, the work assessment system is built to discourage excessive competition within the firm.
The travel aspect depends on the work you do. I've been working for PwC for 4 months and so far, I had three client meetings. I wouldn't say it's enough travel to encourage or discourage anyone

>teetotaler
I don't really know why, but these companies want you to believe they're filled with "aspiring leaders" and other Chad-like individuals.
The truth is that there's an overrepresentation of introverts (not autists though) in the staff.
Why would they even care if you don't drink?