What does /sci think about Lasik? Is it really the holy grail for 20/20 vision...

What does /sci think about Lasik? Is it really the holy grail for 20/20 vision? What are the chances of becoming blind from that surgery?

Other urls found in this thread:

endmyopia.org/high-myopia-lasik-a-dangerous-combination/
popsci.com/why-are-so-many-people-nearsighted
aoa.org/patients-and-public/eye-and-vision-problems/glossary-of-eye-and-vision-conditions/myopia/common-myopia-myths?sso=y
endmyopia.org/the-unstoppable-global-myopia-epidemic-doubles-again/
endmyopia.org/the-hong-kong-myopia-epidemic/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>get laser eye surgery
>eyesight good for a few years
>eyesight degenerates again
>can't get laser eye surgery again

You can do infinite laser surgeries.

Why is it that you can't have laser surgery more than once?

No, each lasering removes some of your cornea, eventually it will be too thin to laser again.

I don't see the need. Glasses are a nice fashion accessory. They make you look smart and interesting.
Also I don't like the thought of slicing off parts of my eye.

endmyopia.org/high-myopia-lasik-a-dangerous-combination/

get educated plebs

I'd do it if I was close to acceptance into either astronautical or pilot training, as it's the only kind of vision correction allowed in certain cases.

I wouldn't do it unless it became a whole lot less risky. Robot surgery might help, but generally my eyes are pretty alright with correction, and I can still drive acceptably without glasses.

So what should I actually do? I don't want glasses forever.

I have no idea. I hear older friends and relatives complaining about forgetting their glasses all the time. There's a small risk any new technology has flaws of course, but in the "long term" we all will die. Gotta take some chances once in a while or life becomes quite empty and dull.

I had it done four years ago. I'm happy with it, still have awesome eyesight

Neither do I.
You work towards it. Slowly. Just like anything in life worth achieving.

Guy has 100% free content, he posts on the site's blog daily

You should be ashamed to post that on a science board

How so? Everything he writes is backed by scientific research. Concave glasses and lasik cause hyperopic defocus that causes your "prescription" diopter numbers to go larger and larger.

Jake Steiner speaks sense. When the fuck did you ever take a medication and your condition GOT WORSE?

I'd like you to prove me wrong.
Like really, if I'm being fooled by his shit I'd like to know so I don't make a fatal mistake.

He's so obviously biased it's not even worth discussing. Guy outright shills his clinic in the article ffs. Another case of no-invasion no-medicine -no-nuthin 100% natural healthy bullshit.

In fact it is worth discussing. Science demands proving and disproving. I want you to tell me why he is wrong.

I want to know how come Myopia is genetic.
If it is, mankind would not have survived by now. Every fucking thing would devour you if you can't see sharply.

I want to know how come Prescriptions RISE.

I want you to counter-argue the statement that Jake Steiner makes about LASIK: "People who have LASIK become myopic again because LASIK doesn't change their habits. It's a short term quick fix and nothing more. They keep sitting close to a monitor for hours a day and become myopic again".

Generally avoid, because

(1) Your eyesight will continue to deteriorate
(2) Lasik tech will continue to improve

The longer you can deal with having contacts or eyeglasses the better your lifelong outcome will be.

If you're really compelled to dump money in it and you live in the US, get the advisory exam/appointment from the surgeon a couple months before your work's health plan re-ups, and then if they give you the go-ahead, go to your HR and max out your flex spending account for the next year. You get to spend the few thou before taxes, which should save you a few hundred bucks.

Not that guy but read this popsci.com/why-are-so-many-people-nearsighted
Yes, I know it says "popsci" in the link, but check it out anyway.

>Also I don't like the thought of slicing off parts of my eye.
This. Haven't even tried contacts, been wearing glasses since age 4 and don't mind them at all.

>your medication made you get worse
Chemo and antibiotics, insulin (requires strict regulation), antidepressants (ED is that bad if you get it), antipsychotics (even the mentally great ones can cause severe liver damage and diabetes), vitamin A and vitamin E are both deadly if overingested, iron for anemia, etc.

hey op, this is what i recommend:

go to mitchell eye center or one of the high class ones. book an appointment for surgery and go.

the first appointment is free because they screen you as a candidate for the surgery.

what they will primarily do is measure your corneal thickness.

For example, mine was about 550 nm which is not very thick. this is the thinnest your cornea can be and have the surgery because it cannot go below around 350nm or your eyes are fucked.

this means that in my case i could only ever have one surgery.

for me this was a dealbreaker, i dont want super thin corneas because as much as i hate glasses my eyes are healthy and i dont have any problems.

but definitely go to the appointment, you may have thicker corneas and would be a good candidate

> vitamin A and vitamin E are both deadly if overingested,

Everything is deadly if overingested. That includes Sodium Chloride, Glucose, Water...

>antidepressants (ED is that bad if you get it), antipsychotics (even the mentally great ones can cause severe liver damage and diabetes)

Just another prime example of a mistreated condition. Contacts and Glasses companies sell you their shit because it makes them rich.
In the same way, going to a psychologist to actually fix your depression takes more time and will actually fix your problem. Instead, going to a psychiatrist who will prescript you pills will not make your situation any better and will roll in cash for some japanesse businessman, good job.

>Chemo and antibiotics
Chemo is just means to prolong your inevitable doom by terminal cancer.

Antibiotics shouldn't be doing any more harm than you are already being dealt by the bacteria. Unless you're a retard and using a brand that intoxicates not only the bacterium but also your own body cells.

Most brands that you can actually trust will never ship an antibotic if it doesn't pass the In Vivo stage. Unfortunately for you there aren't that many brands who care about your own health and wellness as long as the antibiotic does its job, even if it's violent.

Nothing new here. Steiner talks about this. More lux, less hours of and larger distance from your monitor is the first step in fixing myopia.

That's exactly what I'm saying, Myopia isn't genetic, it's self induced by your own habits. It isn't influenced by the genes of your father, mother, grandparents, or homo habilis ancestors. The reason someone's parents have glasses is because they have the same shitty habits they taught their children to adapt to. Simple as that.

Today, a fuckload of people have myopia.
Ten thousand years ago, pretty much nothing but rhinoceros had it. End of story.

>Is it really the holy grail for 20/20 vision?
most people actually have about 20/15 vision after the surgery, some even achieve 20/10.

It used to be that you lost some or all night vision. This was not exactly widely advertised.

Since my night vision is unusually acute I will avoid lasik.

Myopia doesn't worsen once it has deteriorated a far as it is going. My optician says I'm typical. Developed age 12, worsened to age 25 or so, stable till 52, prescription in one eye improving as cataract slowly develops.

The new development I'd like for myself is focusing replacement lenses. Probably won't ever be available on the NHS but they are an awesome bit of kit.

If you think cornea surgery, or even contact lenses, are safe, ask your optician what they use. Chances are they wear glasses. You only have to see one person going irretrievably blind from an untreatable amoebic infection inside the eyeball to put you right off contact lenses.

Lot of bullshit ITT. I had Lasik few years ago, I was 7/10 and 6/10 with myopia, now i'm glasses and contcts free and 12/10 on each eyes. Everything is better than before.

lmfao sources for the last statements because im pretty sure its bullshit. I've read many well executed studies about staring at shit close up & its correlation to myopia & they all concluded it is false. Reading books does not make you go blind, otherwise all the monks of the middle ages would have been fucked. And they read pretty much all day every day meaning that if your bullshit was true they would all have been near sighted which contradicts your other statement that myopia is a modern occurrence. So which is it?

Also, literally all prevalent medical sources state, "there is considerable evidence that myopia is inherited."

You dumbfuck. Get your shit straight. Quit spreading misinformation. Fucks like you tell people to stop drinking milk and then everyone gets osteoporosis. Fucker.

Also I think this thread is talking about PRK, which removes a thin layer of the corneal surface, while LASIK pulls back the outer layer of the cornea and removes tissue from the inside of the cornea.

aoa.org/patients-and-public/eye-and-vision-problems/glossary-of-eye-and-vision-conditions/myopia/common-myopia-myths?sso=y

Read this you fucking tard. You are wrong on all accounts.

OP, there is no reason not to get LASIK, but stay away from PRK for the reasons mentioned in this thread.

this man speaks truth. fuck the uneducated fear mongers.

The reason why faggots such as this guy blames certain diseases on the environment is because it gives them a false sense of security. "Don't eat carbs and you won't get Alzheimers" or whatever. All signs point to it being genetic. There are fuckloads of boomers with glasses when most of them rarely looked at a computer screen.

if i already have 20/15 can i get lasik and get something like 20/10 or 20/5 eagle vision?

Why would you take that risk of potentialy screwing up your vision?

Also, I have read that LASIK sometimes results in poorer night vision in many patients, not sure how true it is.

and

> I've read many well executed studies about staring at shit close up & its correlation to myopia & they all concluded it is false.
Yeah? I wanna see that. Link.

>Also, literally all prevalent medical sources state, "there is considerable evidence that myopia is inherited."

HAHAHAHAHA "There's no way it's my fault that I have myopia tyrone! Definitely not shitty choices and mistakes that I've done, it has got to be inherited because I say so!"

You fucking plebian. The site is written by THE OPTOMETRIST ASSOCIATION. It is biased as fuck. These faggots just want your money. Keep buying their shit and read to reassure your safety then.

kek say goodbye to your chances at fixing myopia forever then

>All signs point to it being genetic.
and

Everyone has less good night vision. Read endmyopia.

I have a friend who got it done and he reported no regrets every time I asked about it. My right eye has only very mild astigmatism so if I went the LASIK route I would just have my left eye fixed. I hate the idea of seeing halos and shit around lights

Thanks for shilling. Really strengthens your argument.

At least I have one.

Protip-Intraocular Lenses IOL's

>>eyesight degenerates again
why would this happen? i thought eyesight stopped getting worse once the body reaches the adult stage

this happens when you have the surgery before your eyes fully develop

Pretty sure you mean micrometers not nanometers

Shitty eyesight is better than no eyesight.
No, thanks.

a family friend got lasik and loved it, but now, 5 years later his eyes are getting worse again because he continues to read things up close (because job/typical human life)
From what he said, if you have the money, and you don't expect to read a lot all day (maybe have outside job) do it.

Not necessarily. Your eyes will continue to change throughout your life. My mom got lasik when she was ~40 and she's still going to need a touch up at some point. The amount of change is minimized if you have the surgery after 21-25.

> tfw 7.5 in each eye (farsightedness)
> tfw cornea is too thin for surgery
wew I can live with contact lenses.

For some reason my right-eye toric lens keeps misaligning which drives me nuts, it just werks tho.

>My right eye has only very mild astigmatism
>I hate the idea of seeing halos and shit
dude trust me, you're fine, don't mess with your eyes with such a good eyesight.

if I have 42/0 can i get laid?