I've been considering becoming an Organ Donor but have been watching videos on the matter and am scared

I've been considering becoming an Organ Donor but have been watching videos on the matter and am scared.

I see that they keep your body alive and it responds as if it was in pain.

Can you feel pain when donating organs?
They keep your body "alive" for a long time and the surgery alone takes hours.

Other urls found in this thread:

mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/consumer-health/in-depth/organ-donation/art-20047529
naturalnews.com/041152_transplant_patients_organ_harvesting_presumed_consent.html
abcnews.go.com/Health/patient-wakes-doctors-remove-organs/story?id=19609438
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>Can you feel pain when donating organs?
If you can feel pain after death you can surely feel the smug sense of self-satisfaction when donating the organ, so I say it evens out.

/n/ here, want to know this too, my organs might be useful when a truck crashes my bike on the road

Being an organ donator is allowing the doctor to murder you prematurely so they don't have to wait around for you to slowly die

you donate organs when you die. unless you're talking about donating a kidney or something. in that case, you get put under (put to sleep with anaesthesia for a few hours) while they remove it and then you wake up. you'll be on pain meds for a few weeks since the cut they made and stitched up will still hurt of course

>you donate organs when you die
yeah, "die".

You're body is without a doubt still alive during organ extraction.
I want to know If we feel pain.

They may wait until "brain death" but the body reacts as if it was in pain.
Our body continues to piss, cuts will still heal, and when they cut into your skin heart rates increase significantly.

I want to know if I would feel pain.

Being altruistic gives people a green-light to abuse your good-will, this is why you should never sign away your rights while unconscious.

Don't do that.
1. organ transplantation is not free. hospital basically just sold parts of your body like you are a cow.

2. You will never know if a doctor who decide are you died or not yet is not a criminal. They may decide to kill you just for making profit.

Well, who knows? They part you out like an old car. Obviously it's a fatal operation so nobody will ever be able to tell you if it hurt. They die immediately after.

This meme again?

Why do you think paramedics and emergency room surgeons are happy to have people die on their watch? They'll do everything possible to keep your stupid ass alive, Idiot.

The body will carry out reflexes well after the brain has stopped working, such as heart-beating, food digestion and signaling via nerves. The real question is why you think this will lead to pain in the absence of an organ to interpret such signals.

People should be organ donors by default. The fact that the dead get to hold onto their organs when they die is fucking stupid. They don't need them at that point but there are many people who could live another day with them including ourselves if we develop that kind of illness.

well the thing people dont understand about donation is that if you died instantly, you were done for.

to donate organs you have to be alive, so when you have an accident and you are on the verge of death, an organ donor card gives the doctors permission to stop trying to save you and keep you on the verge of death to extract your organs

Organs are still viable after death briefly.

these are myths btw
mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/consumer-health/in-depth/organ-donation/art-20047529

There's no arbitrary point of "deadness" where they "stop trying to save you" in favor of harvesting your body for parts.

This is a lie, and if your country's medical system doesn't do literally everything in it's power to save you, you live in the wrong place.

Tissue death starts after medical death, and if you're an organ donor you are declared dead before they take shit out. Meaning, you'd either be carted off to the morgue/shown to your peops for the last time, or you'd be harvested.

In any case, you're dead. Warm and dead. The deadest dead there is.

My stand on organ donation is clear.
While you see nice stories of children being saved by transplants, it could very well be that your organ is being transplanted into an asshole.
In fact, given the ratio of assholes vs nice people, it's more than likely.
So nope for me.

>t. asshole

>user is an asshole to keep other assholes from being saved

>this attitude is not unique

>his asshole is killed by another asshole who could have saved him

Karma.

But I'm a nice person, I swear.

you just find the alternative moral cost of saving an asshole too great do give up your unused parts when you're legally and medically incapable of enjoying their use.

Sure.

If I was sure it was gonna go to someone I appreciate, I would do it.
But the way it's rigged now, yo have no clue.

>someone I appreciate
This is the definition of the asshole you claim you don't want to be saved, that they differentiate based on merit, not humanity.

It's an assholish move to save the dog and not the bum if you have to choose who to save from a burning building.

An unknown human being is worth more than a beloved animal. The exception being if they're too far away for you to have any reason to care.

I agree to disagree.
Let's make this clear, because I'm consistent with my claims, I explicitly told my doctor I don't want any transplants. He loled at me because there's no such thing as a file of organ donation deniers.

So get a tattoo.

You're going to be completley brain dead at the time, so no you will not feel anything becuase you are no longer there. The biological processes that keep "you" alive have stopped and cannot be restarted by anything modern medicine is aware of. Whatever "you" were is gone now. If you're religious or spiritual then consider it to be a point at which your soul, or whatever, has moved on and shuffled off their moral coil and no longer resides in your body. If you're not religious then consider it a point at which you no longer exist.

You do not GO, do not collect $200, becuase you're dead and that's the end of the story. Period.

"You" will not be in any pain whatsoever. Maybe your body will be, but at that point it's less your body and more just a piece of furniture, or a just a big slab of meat. Maybe it feels pain, but all it is is just a mass of nerves with reactions so hardwired that the machine still moves and twitches long after the master has hung up his hat and left for home.

tl;dr
At the time your organs are being harvested you are as alive as a puppet is alive under the hands of a puppeteer. You are not Pinocchio, so stop being retarded.

Well the thing is, we don't know anything about consciousness.
We infer it's got something to do with synaptic activity, but unless we can revive people someday, we'll never ever know that.
I'm not a religious person. I don't claim to know what happens to us when we die. But I'd be very disappointed in the Universe if we were just to disappear.

>You're going to be completley brain dead at the time
>The biological processes that keep "you" alive have stopped and cannot be restarted
You sure? Maybe nobody want to "restart" you because they need your organs, huh?

>restarting brain function

You can't restart the brain. To be declared dead and organ harvest to proceed, you have to be declared brain dead by multiple doctors.
Brain death means your brain is silent. The electrical impulses that defined your consciousness have ceased and there's no bringing them back. Ever.

Your brain would be irreversibly dead and no longer communicating with the rest of the body. Maybe the nerves in your living flesh would perceive "pain" but there's nobody in the brain to interpret them, no consciousness at all.
It would be painless because "you" are no longer there.

>an organ donor card gives the doctors permission to keep you on life support after you have been found irreversibly brain dead to harvest your organs.

Urgh.

Can someone tell this guy why sapiocentricity isn't enough to change the fact that when Neither alpha, beta or delta waves are registered, YOU ARE STONE DEAD?

If you don't have a card then the doctors can't do anything unless your next-of-kin permit it.

*tips fedora*

If your body is alive your immortal soul is still in it.

>Still believing in nonoism (aka ONANISM LOL)
>LOL

>If your body is alive your immortal soul is still in it.
So why does the body die when you turn off life support?

I personally know an asshole in his 60's with a heart transplant, that still drinks and smokes. Didn't deserve the second chance.

>you have to be declared brain dead by multiple doctors
That's the problem. We never know for sure that doctors are not made a mistake or simply want to kill you and sell your organs.
We must only believe.

Because G-d sees that it's dead and moves your soul to purgatory. Basic theology you sweaty neckbeard.

Sure, your physical being is gone.
But we don't know, and even fathom to know if there's anything beyond that.
Just maybe, the Universe isn't just matter, and there's something to us that isn't just that.

>It's an assholish move to save the dog and not the bum if you have to choose who to save from a burning building.
>An unknown human being is worth more than a beloved animal.
making a lot of assumptions there pal

>there are people who trust science but aren't organ donors

>in this thread

>RIGHT NOW

What does it mean to thrust science?
Does it mean most ost of the Universe is unknwon to us?
Then I'm in.

Likelihood of a doctor making a mistake < likelihood of three doctors making the same mistake.
In addition, at least one of them has to be a senior physician with X years of experience.
The doctors can't kill you, nor can they sell your organs.

either you naive as fuck or work in the industry
>Horror as patient wakes up in NY hospital with doctors trying to harvest her organs for transplant profits
naturalnews.com/041152_transplant_patients_organ_harvesting_presumed_consent.html

I'd rather give my organs to worms and have them spawn new life, than giving them to anybody.

Transplant surgeon here. The system that forces us into it. Malpractice insurance and loan debt costs so much I couldn't make a living if I didn't kill viable patients and sell their organs.

I think letting people sell their organs while their still alive would help with these problems.

What, you think their going to impregnate someone with your dead organs? Or are they going to transplant your vagina into someone?

>work in the industry
Yes, I'm a doctor who sees this shit every other day.
I'm not saying the system is infallible, doctors make mistakes like everyone else.
But make no mistake. Brain death is death. I've been to medical school. you haven't.
Either what happened there was a medical miracle or the doctors fucked up. Guess which one is more likely.

>to donate organs you have to be alive
This has to be trolling. Or you just have to be the dumbest nigga alive.

>mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/consumer-health/in-depth/organ-donation/art-20047529

Or it's totally made up because it's naturalnews.

>I see that they keep your body alive and it responds as if it was in pain.
Read up on the nervous system. In clinical brain death, which is a requirement for organ donation, the brain is silent and dead. Any pain response is your nervous system acting independently. It's the same response when you touch a hot stove. Your nerves don't transmit that signal to the brain. They react independently without any brain communication to jerk your hand away from the painful stimuli.

>Likelihood of a doctor making a mistake < likelihood of three doctors making the same mistake

Do you even know what probability is?

Whoops. Damn phone keyboard.

Ever hear the saying "no brain, no pain?"

If you damage a brain you can impair a persons ability to function and think. There's no reasons to think that destroying the brain completely at death would allow the thinking process to move somewhere else undiminished?

>An organ donor card gives doctors permission to stop trying to save you

L-O-L

ever hear the saying "no glove, no love"
My herpes disproves your shitty argument.

>ad hominem
abcnews.go.com/Health/patient-wakes-doctors-remove-organs/story?id=19609438

Why not give a percentage of the profits of the organ transplant industry to the donor's estate? Then the problem of organ shortage would be solved tomorrow.

Organ donor and proud of it. When I die I won't need my organs, why not let them go to some use? Better than them rotting away.

I have worked in healthcare, and I have no doubt that healthcare professionals would do everything they can to try and save someone. If you die on their table, that looks much worse than anyone they might save by harvesting your organs. Also, not being a donor isn't going to magically make you more likely to live. When they get to that point of considering to harvest or not you're already beyond the hope of saving. It's ludicrous to think they would take advantage of a patient like that, not to mention illegal and anyone who thinks otherwise clearly has no understanding of how healthcare works.

Also, it's important to talk about the opt-in/opt-out system. In the US where we're opt-in, we see thousands of patients die each year waiting for organs. In opt-out countries, you're a donor by default and if you need an organ you're generally able to get one. The whole opt-in system seems barbaric to me and is literally killing thousands of people each year, it needs to change.

>hayulp, mah baybeh dun knock'd his hayd into the stayrs, oh lawd I howp he aint badly daymadsjd!

>sorry ma'am, your son didnt make it, but his organs did so here's a thousand dollars

>oh thank yew awfisser

She then immediately goes off to die of an overdoes of her drug of choice.

>When they get to that point of considering to harvest or not you're already beyond the hope of saving

not a meme when its true.

poeple shouldnt be organ donors by default you stupid twat.

Why not?

>People should be organ donors by default.

Nothing should be 'default' where the possibility to discuss consent is concerned. This otherwise prevents or at least limits and places checks on what could be incredibly intrusive checks and controls on people from others in positions of power and of which they could abuse.

A person gets to decide their will and transfer of wealth when dead which could just as easily be funneled to some ''more worthy'' charity than their own immediate family, why not their organs too?

I bet you're part of the 'you got nothing to fear if you got nothing to hide!' crowd.

are you serious?

surely you jest.....

The issue is an ethical and social one - it has nothing to do with 'trusting science'.

Personally I believe scientific research will allow us to do away with organ harvesting from others where we can instead 'grow' organs and seed them with patients own cells getting them to a suitable stage for transplantation - an extension of the whole 'personalized medicine' concept. This completely nullifies any ethical debate and no-one should have issue with it. Organ harvesting/donation is just a stop-gap measure until then.

>why not let them go to some use?

You could opt to not be buried in a casket and so instead your body enriches the local environment and ecosystem as you rot away - why doesn't that count?

>The whole opt-in system seems barbaric to me

Having a state make such a decision for you by default and then living in a 'name-and-shame' culture where if it gets leaked that you opted out which could potentially ruin your career and life is pretty barbaric as well.

>an organ donor card gives the doctors permission to stop trying to save you and keep you on the verge of death to extract your organs

fucking kek

yeah honestly doctors might be less inclined to try really hard to save me because i'm an organ donor but considering that i browse Veeky Forums do you really think i'd care?

That's a fallacy, dickwad. It's possible to disagree without being the Bogeyman.

"name and shame culture"
literally what the fuck? Who donates what is literally classified. The lists are classified. It's as personal as religious association, come the FUCK on?!

Who cares? You'll be dead soon after, if you DID feel pain the pain wont last long.

Sometimes more than a day of pure suffering.

They don't give any anesthesia

Ever been in war, boy?
This generation only knows how to be as cushy as possible.

Gross.

>An unknown human being is worth more than a beloved animal

Woah, woah, woah. How the fuck you know how much that guy's dog was worth? I'm an organ doner too but slow your roll holmes.

Just your bike?

>donating so much as a drop of blood

unless it's a family member or loved one, fuck that

go do a lap through your local shopping mall on a summer day and find one person you'd be happy to give your organs to

never donate blood

never become an organ donor unless you know who's getting the organs

If you believe in spiritual mumbo-jumbo, just refuse organ donation on religious grounds like the majority of self-centered religious assholes.

/thread

>since the cut they made and stitched up will still hurt of course

Why?
I cut into the muscle of my forearm and they didn't give me anything.

Is there a way to choose which organs you can donate upon death?Or to the types of patiens they can go to?

I don't mind giving away my corneas for someone born with a horrible ocular disease or an acid attack victim. But I'm reluctant to give away my heart because I'm sure it would go to some fat piece of shit of lived a life of laziness and gluttony. I don't want my liver to go to an alcoholic who abused his body either.

Yes, you probably have miserable headaches until they stop fucking with you to

People have been completely dead via drowning in cold water or MI/CVA. When brough back they say they felt and sensed nothing. Stop being an ignorant weak bitch, we go no where. The only difference between us and other animals is our superior anatomy that allows for communication/tool useage and High IQ. When you see a dog assisting a deaf/blind person they may as well be human. If you put that brain in a human body they function above the level of your average downy. No ones going fucking anywhere when its all over.

The fbi crime stats show blacks commiting violent crimes at a rate 3.5 times higher per capita. The thing is, we cant trust those numbers because the fbi hates black people and will obviously convict them more often. Thats how retarded you sound.