Why are half the people on Veeky Forums elitists?

Why are half the people on Veeky Forums elitists?

Because everywhere else on the Internet and real life is reserved for mediocre "Everyone's a Winner!" ressentiment retards who hate effort and excellence

Syndrome please go

This is the one board where you can extract from 10 threads one good recommendation. The elitism is a good thing and should be fostered. r/books is perfect for people who consider Dune, GRRM, Franzen and Gone Girl high art

People have a hard time with not liking something. Not DISLIKING, just not liking, to be able to say "yes this book/album/movie has some legitimate artistic merits but is overall a far cry from the more masterful classics". If it's not patrician, it's shit and were gonna be bitter about it for completely unrelated emotional inner turmoil.

I prefer our way over Reddit, where there's no anonymity and everybody is constantly ball-fondling for karma and they're scared of offending one another for having shit taste and so they become defined by their own mediocrity

Because so few people pursue their hobbies passionately enough to build a discerning taste that, when presented with someone who has done so, they don't understand and write them off as being close-minded.

It's good to have high standards. It pushes you as a consumer to be critical of media that is forced upon you.

Once upon a time, that was the point of higher academic pursuit.

you dont understand that a lot of the most hated books here are hated just because they got memed hard enough

read what people tell you to read here and from your own opinion, and if someone tells you that you should avoid something read it anyway and decide for youself

>hated just because they got memed hard enough
List some examples pls
Because I disagree.

Is Johnathan franzen a meme? A good friend of mine, who i respect as being Veeky Forums, recommended purity to me? Is he full of shit?

Do you agree that consumerism/materialism destroys culture as it commodifies the pursuit of higher learning, and turns it into a fucking "hobby"?

A lot of us here have low self esteem issues and being elitist on Veeky Forums (and irl to some extent, like belittling people's tastes in our mind) gives us a little hint of the validation we crave. The validation that everyone gets normally

/mu/'s the same, idk about other boards. A lot of anons will dismiss music that is popular maybe because it's shit but really because it is enjoyed by a circle of people they're not capable of joining. They can never connect emotionally with a popular album, the lesser known by that "circle " the more personal

or maybe I'm just rambling. I'm projecting, yes, but only because I know I'm not the only one. obviously not everyone is like this here but a good population of this site is

Why am i seeing more and more people shitposting about Franzen? When will the memes end?

Because there is no upboat type system. Everywhere else the majority (pleb majority) rule. Veeky Forums is the last refuge of the elitist.

I really enjoyed Freedom, cant speak for his other stuff though. Wouldn't say he's a meme, though his reputation on Veeky Forums seems to stem mostly from his relationship with DFW and not his work by itself.

>half
Way more than that. It's a good thing

Because most people here are social outcasts who turn to the an anonymous anime board on the internet to shitpost and feel better about themselves

Maybe. I think more to blame is modern leftism for convincing people of every class that they deserve and are capable of completing higher education, and that anyone who dares claim otherwise is at moral fault. Also for shifting the principles away from an intellectual space to a safe space.

Because the other half are fucking pathetic.

elitism is only bad if you are one of the excluded

when you are the one doing the excluding, it is exquisite

You're all right.

>people who aren't me are right
Good spook, son.

It is tongue-in-cheek, a meme, also functioning as a splendid gatekeeper to keep the pleb&proud crowd out. Some are beyond help: the genre crowd, the movie crowd, redditors, etc. Eager beginners looking for advice? Met with respect. There are a few rotten apples, true. But show me an orchard without 'em.

Why is almost everyone you'll ever meet an elitist?

Reddit: the post

This sounds about right

Fresh off the boat, from reddit, kid? heh I remember when I was just like you. Braindead. Lemme give you a tip so you can make it in this cyber sanctuary: never make jokes like that. You got no reputation here, you got no name, you got jackshit here. It's survival of the fittest and you ain't gonna survive long on Veeky Forums by saying stupid jokes that your little hugbox cuntsucking reddit friends would upboat. None of that here. You don't upboat. You don't downboat. This ain't reddit, kid. This is Veeky Forums. We have REAL intellectual discussion, something I don't think you're all that familiar with. You don't like it, you can hit the bricks on over to imgur, you daily show watching son of a bitch. I hope you don't tho. I hope you stay here and learn our ways. Things are different here, unlike any other place that the light of internet pop culture reaches. You can be anything here. Me ? heh, I'm a judge.. this place.... this place has a lot to offer... heh you'll see, kid . . . that is if you can handle it...

I have been looking for this pasta.

Kek.

Top kek

Anyone have the pooping one? For some reason that one gets me every time

Veeky Forums's elitism is hilarious. It's basically old = good. That's why /tv/ favorite films threads are always filled with walls of French words followed by 1927. Even /g/ who mock users for not having the biggest and best PC builds still hold 100 year old watches and Thinkpads in high regard.

Veeky Forums's plebeianism is hilarious. It's basically new = good.

"Plebeianism" is enjoyable = good.

Meth is enjoyable. Meth is good.

If that's the shit you enjoy, no wonder this place is a shithole that pretends to like stuff because it's old.

You ever heard of 8th grader syndrome?
Its like that, only a more evolved form.

Why are you so dedicated to destroying what was a relatively dead forum about books? Are you honestly this fucking butthurt you got told your favorite Star Wars novel is shit or whatever? I mean good Christ the level of autism of you fuckers doing this day in and day out, just fucking kill yourselves.

>It's basically old = good
Go look for contemporary lit threads in the archive, they are pretty highbrow except the faggot who calls everything middlebrow

The elitism is hilarious to anyone who actually studies literature. But then maybe that's just another level of elitism, who can say.

>It's basically old = good.
I'd argue that it's obtuse = good. It applies to almost every board. Obscure trash is popular on /mu/, hard games are popular on /v/, and weird shit is popular on Veeky Forums.

Literally NOONE considers Gone Girl high art you twat. Only munters like you think people do, when even /l/eddit understands it's pulpy low art.

ah, blood meridian, monsieur? that novel is the sark and chaparral of literature, the filament whereon rode the remuda of highbrow, corraled out of some destitute hacienda upon the arroya, quirting and splurting with main and with pyrolatrous coagulate of lobated grandiloquence. our eyes rode over the pages, monsieur, of that slatribed azotea like argonauts of suttee, juzgados of swole, bights and systoles of walleyed and tyrolean and carbolic and tectite and scurvid and querent and creosote and scapular malpais and shillelagh. we scalped, monsieur, the gantlet of its esker and led our naked bodies into the rebozos of its mennonite and siliceous fauna, wallowing in the jasper and the carnelian like archimandrites, teamsters, combers of cassinette scoria, centroids of holothurian chancre, with pizzles of enfiladed indigo panic grass in the saltbush of our vigas, true commodores of the written page, rebuses, monsieur, we were the mygale spiders too and the devonian and debouched pulque that settled on the frizzen studebakers, listening the wolves howling in the desert while we saw the judge rise out of a thicket of corbelled arches, whinstone, cairn, cholla, lemurs, femurs, leantos, moonblanched nacre, uncottered fistulas of groaning osnaburg and kelp, isomers of fluepipe and halms awap of griddle, guisado, pelancillo.

what a dense fucker
old is better because old is more documented and because the shit just gets forgotten, so its easier to find the real good stuff, navigating the present is tedious as fuck

This is correct, for the most part. Other people really are delusional enough to think their taste is superior, and inconsiderate enough to yell about it to everyone, but I think for most the anger comes from within themselves.