Why the hell is chemistry so fucking inexact, Veeky Forums...

Why the hell is chemistry so fucking inexact, Veeky Forums? I'm studying salt solutions and every two seconds the book makes a new approximation because fuck you that's why. It's fucking rage inducing.

Other urls found in this thread:

chemwiki.ucdavis.edu/Core/Inorganic_Chemistry/Electronic_Structure_of_Atoms_and_Molecules/Electronic_Configurations#Exceptions
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

that's how all fields work, deal with it.

I'm not having the same issues with maths or physics though. Everything there is explained, every formula. Instead chemistry just tells you to do this then do that then do that without really explaining what the hell is going on

>he thinks physicists never make simplifications

k

ever noticed how you only study ideal situations?

>learn about atomic configuration
>99% of the time it doesn't work, you have to resort to an 'exception' rule

and this is why i never took chemistry seriously

chemistry is primarily empirical, so nothing is 100% exact, we just get as arbitrarily close to exact as we feel is sufficient (small error% to true value).

the closer you get to the true value of something, the more information you need. oftentimes you can get very close to a true value with a relatively simple formula and relatively little knowledge/experience.

and in the textbooks they make approximations so you can understand it and learn things and apply your relatively limited knowledge and skills to solve a problem, otherwise you'd need post-doc level ability to actually solve "basic" problems.

not to mention, if they didnt make approximations, every question would be 2+ pages long, have a ridiculous number of variables and values, and probably require wolfram to solve

be very glad they do simplify everything

I don't recall there being that many exceptions. You might just be retarded.

wtf is atomic configuration
is this highschool shit?

>20 exceptions to the rule
>still calling it an 'exception'

topkek

I'd love see you cite them or link them to me.

chemwiki.ucdavis.edu/Core/Inorganic_Chemistry/Electronic_Structure_of_Atoms_and_Molecules/Electronic_Configurations#Exceptions

Those 'exceptions' aren't really exceptions in that they are arbitrary and unexplainable, there's understood mechanisms going on which cause those exceptions to be what they are. You just need to learn more.

>chemwiki.ucdavis.edu/Core/Inorganic_Chemistry/Electronic_Structure_of_Atoms_and_Molecules/Electronic_Configurations#Exceptions
there are 2 exceptions.
All the other elements are almost never used in undergrad.

jesus christ.

"that rule works fine except 20% of the time when it doesn't work"

top fucking kek

"there are 20% of exceptions, let's ignore them because chemistry needs to look consistent or scientists will laugh at us"

Those idea situations are explained exactly, unlike chemistry

>"there are 20% of exceptions, let's ignore them because chemistry needs to look consistent or scientists will laugh at us"
idc I hate chemistry, but you're a moron.

exceptions mean you're too immature to understand the real reason.
It's like when you were 6 and your parents told you "because I said so".

Now fuck off, freshman. If you don't drop out, you might reach computation physics/chemistry.

It's the physics parts which are inexact.

>I'm not having the same issues with maths or physics though

go outside you fucking autist instead of shitposting

The exceptions are well known to actual chemists. It's not that they don't know how to do actual atomic configuration, it's just that that is too complicated for high school or low level undergrad classes, so it's left out.

Except by incorporating these exceptions and their known mechanisms, you can devise a rule that actually does work consistently.

>2 definitions of an acid

Explain this bullshit.

Meme subject

>exceptions mean you're too immature to understand the real reason.
>It's like when you were 6 and your parents told you "because I said so".

no it's because chemists suck at science so they couldn't come up with a theory which explains clearly how it works, so they have to use exceptions to make up for their gaps

the correct analogy would be if physicists didn't know about General relativity and would still be using classical mechanics plus some exceptions for Mercury's orbit

the difference being that CM can be derived from GR, but there is no theory in Chemistry which incoporates both the general rule and these exceptions, instead they're just some exceptions in their stamp collection

>I'm a freshman and don't understand how there can be two overlapping classes of compounds

Oh, and there are actually more than two types of acid.