Has a Hungarian physics lab found a fifth force of nature?

Opinions?

nature.com/news/has-a-hungarian-physics-lab-found-a-fifth-force-of-nature-1.19957

You mean the sixth. The fifth is love.

Sure, why not?

Let's wait for outside verification And replication before Nobel prizes are given out.

It's not Telegraph or any of the other usual suspects for mega popsci, and it's not some bullshit "It's THE FUCKING FUTURE NOW" article either.
10/10 would be intrigued again.

I'm skeptical, but it's definitely worth exploring. Could be a very exciting find if true.

Finally, the death of the standard model :^)

We preons now?

I think you mean capitalism.

It would be very funny.

Billions spent on LHC and these unknown guys fuck everything up.

Murphys always right

>17 MeV gauge boson
>current LHC energy is 13 TeV, almost a million times higher
>new gauge boson couples to electrons

We should have found it already considering the heavy ion collisions at CERN.

>arXiv preprint claims it can explain the muon's anomalous magnetic moment
I can't say I'm not intrigued.

i didn't tought of that. Lmao.

>"According to the standard model, physicists should see that the number of observed pairs drops as the angle separating the trajectory of the electron and positron increases"
>"But the team reported that at about 140ยบ, the number of such emissions jumps"
This only further shows that modern physics is a huge steaming pile of dogshit. Pure maths circlejerk which is either untestable because "muh energies are too high" and on the rare occasions when it has to predict something like account for all the energy in the universe it fails miserably.

can anyone say they are satisfied with the standard editions, I always go for the premium so should physics.

topkek

So wait, where is the part where they talk about a new fundamental force? They just seem to be proposing the existence of a new type of particle.

Claiming the existence of a new fundamental boson is exactly synonymous with claiming the existence of a new fundamental force.

>Has a Hungarian physics lab found a fifth force of nature?
What's the name of that law about newspaper headlines that contain questions? They can almost always be answered with "no".

Anyway, until other people have confirmed this it's far more likely that it's just a mistake. Physics in particular has a lot of misses for every hit.

>This only further shows that modern physics is a huge steaming pile of dogshit
Feel free to do better.

>We should have found it already considering the heavy ion collisions at CERN.
They did say that this doesn't contradict previous work. Presumably there's a good reason it didn't show up there.
Maybe it's a range thing? I have no idea.

Centripetal force is real

Island of stability when

As others have pointed out, I too thought the mass seemed kinda low for an undiscovered boson. But I don't understand quantum field theory or the standard model, so idk. Someone explain this shit. How could such a force/boson elude detection from previous measurements at other experiments?

That wins the award for the most autistic quote ever.

Nice /v/ meme

Noone understands this shit, not even people who make it up
>experimental results are 3 times higher than expected
>le quarks come in 3 (three) different colors xdddddd
Almost as good as dark energy

This literally means nothing.

> EVERYBODY LOOK AT ME IM SOOOOO SMART! WAY SMARTER THAN THOSE PHYSIC PHAGGOTS XDXD THAT'S WHY I SIT ON 4 CHAN SHITPOSTING INSTEAD OF BEING PAID $100,000'S TODO WHAT THEY DO BECAUSE IM TOO SMART FOR THAT DUUUUHHHHHH XDLMAO

symmetry

It's not like the LHC is useless if the SM is suddenly expanded. Particles will always need smashing, similar to your mom.

It's almost like the LHC was built hoping to find stuff beyond the SM.

Betteridge's law.

>Decent article and thread has sensible replies
Colour me surprised.

>appeal to authority

that one quote killed the entire movie

>exactly synonymous
Why do pedantic autists love incorrectly using such obtuse phrases?

>pedantic autists
I don't know, why?

Thanks.

Huh? Where did I appeal to any authority?

So is hatred. Or disgust.