HORRIBLE SUPER BACTERIA WILL KILL US ALL

CAN SCIENCE SAVE US OR ARE WE DOOMED?

washingtonpost.com/news/to-your-health/wp/2016/05/26/the-superbug-that-doctors-have-been-dreading-just-reached-the-u-s/

>health official says could mean "the end of the road" for antibiotics.

>The antibiotic-resistant strain was found last month in the urine of a 49-year-old Pennsylvania woman. Defense Department researchers determined that she carried a strain of E. coli resistant to the antibiotic colistin, according to a study published Thursday in Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy, a publication of the American Society for Microbiology. The authors wrote that the discovery "heralds the emergence of a truly pan-drug resistant bacteria."

> antibiotic resistant E.coli
lmao

FINALLY.
maybe we can eat meat fed with actual food now.

I, for one, welcome our new fecal overlords.

Horizontal gene transfer

Is the issue if antibiotic resistance a self-limiting one?

To maintain it's resistance mechanisms of course requires the expenditure of energy and resources. Under natural selection pressures where antibiotics are commonly used these resistance factors are greatly advantageous and and promoted. It will proliferate through the population (vertical gene transfer) and between populations (horizontal transfer). However if we reach a point where antibiotics are so worthless and we simply stop using or at a very greatly reduced amount will the situation not simply reverse again - not having those same resistance factors suddenly becomes advantageous and selected against?

>was found in the mouth of the urine of a 48 year old

Lolwut

>not building up a resistance to resistant E.coli by eating shit

woah hold up what the FUCK are you doing

Bacteriophages are the future. Saw a documentary about 15 years ago, somewhere in Eastern Europe working on them. What do we hear from our drugs companies? Zero. Probably not enough profit for them.

>Bacteriophages are the future.

>Saw a documentary about 15 years ago

Some future huh? And a documentary you watched over a decade ago is what you're making future predictions on? Come on - at least show some credible sources which suggest they are the future - journals etc. Even if 'Big Pharma' isn't investing in them doesn't mean research isn't being done with speculative applications and whatnot for their potential use.

Veeky Forums has no consensus! WE'RE DOOMED!!!

Honestly, I agree with this. The human species, and the means for all desires, and the fruit of all labor, is a pathetic, broken hackjob, even when we know better.

This is what people deserve. It might kill people who don't deserve it, it might even kill me, but collectively we deserve it.

speak for youself, you deserve it, not me.

This is why I shit on biologists on Veeky Forums. By shitting on them I encourage them to become more succesful so that they have something to show to prove that they are not retarded pre-meds and therefore they will someday actually make good fucking medicine, the bastards.

That is how I help humanity.

When the new cure for this antibiotic resistant shit arises I will be on the headlines as the man responsible for the advances in biology.

No need to thank me, it is my pleasure.

Fucking retarded bio majors man, pre-med scum.

>Next super fear mongering McGuffin discovered by American media!!!!

This. Every single time.

>Local man responsible for cancer cure to be awarded his nobel prize in biology for his research in advanced shitposting that fueled the discovery

I'm feeling kinda lazy at the moment can someone post the article featuring scientists talking about interfering with cell signaling and thus provide an alternative antibiotics.

In the context we're talking about, I don't deserve it. It's possible you deserve it.

It'd be easier to just get rid of all of us, so the madness is certain to be over.

Sci banter also proved me not to pursue Biology, but maths instead. Probably for the better, since I do enjoy both.

Them losing that trait over time would be dependent on the relative energy use that its expression demands. It may be that the trait requires just a simple set of proteins, and thus the pressure against that gene will be low due to its low energy demand

Or a slightly different version of the same protein.