Why is the English curriculum so awful in American public schools?

Why is the English curriculum so awful in American public schools?
>half the books assigned are pleb Y/A novels
>even when something good is assigned, it's taught like shit
>most of the projects are "Draw a scene from a book" or some muh feels bullshit about your favorite memories
>all the teachers are obnoxious, overly-emotional women

Other urls found in this thread:

unionleader.com/article/20140502/NEWS04/140509752&template=mobileart
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

stealing this pepe

It turns out the educational process is almost an impossible science and anything but perfect. The only solution I can think of would be to allocate more class time for English.

Our homework/busywork system is also pretty wretched, and eats up SO much time.

>senior year
>English teacher tells us we have a big end of the year project and it's worth a lot of points
>assignment: make a fucking scrapbook

Liberal arts are just degree factories at universities in the US and Europe.

The goal is to maximize profits by moving as many special snowflakes through the cookie cooker curriculum as fast as possible

There is no real skill set taught and no emphasis is put on understand and expanding the field. Instead, it's just a glorified grade inflated history class.

Most of the time, your teacher is either a propagandist shekelberg or a nobody that doesn't have any relevance or real world experience in the field and probably just graduated college and went into the masters program because they couldn't get a job either.

>He paid thousands of dollars for a piece of paper saying he was good at glorified arts and crafts projects

>11th grade, time to read Catcher in the Rye
>teacher lets us spend a week of classes outside just reading it
>no homework
>discuss it the next week
>move on

If only for those two weeks, English class was good.

>america
what did you expect from that 3rd world country?

This was high school, but I wouldn't be surprised if teaching that kind of shit in universities. We already have poetry slams.

I graduated in 2008 with a chemistry degree from a top 20 school.

No joke, the senior project was literally making a binder of various pictures that you would want to have if you were a freshman.

It was more complicated and involved than a scrapbook, but essentially the same thing. I was able to finish the entire thing in one day.

I think it was more of just a freebie rather than a challenge, but still, it cost fucking money.

>implying feels and emotions aren't the most important aspects of the human condition
You fucking dumbfuck.

>or some muh feels bullshit about your favorite memories

>mfw junior year high school english project was about making a mixtape with each song based on a chapter of To Kill a Mockingbird

Shoot yourself in the head.

woman detected

Societies that teach empathy in schools have lower crime rates.

have a pepe, now fuck off back to

>>mfw had a project to illustrate the odyssey through graffiti

I predict this thread will be unpredictable.

What did you just watch a john green video about india and think feels and yogo can twist feels into facts? Asian societies have the lowest crime rates not brussels and paris shit holes

Education is more ubiquitous than ever and at the same time destroyed more than the bronze age collapse. Not even a rich man can get a good education now. All the great inventors of are time are people who got into Harvard then dropped out

To be fair, my teachers just wanted us to read regardless of it being complete trash or high quality literature. Once you get into reading you start expanding your genre and eventually make your way to literary fiction. From 9th to 11th I read some really lame, teenage, sci fi, bullshit. The only book worth mentioning that had any literary value was the Virgin Suicides. By my 12th grade year I started reading actual literature such as Lolita, Catch-22, Slaughterhouse 5, Great Gatsby, etc. I think the best way they figure to get kids into reading is to at least get them started somewhere no matter how pleb. I was never assigned a book in school though. The only thing I remember though of actually being forced to read though was Antigone and Much Ado About Nothing

Harold bloom and Schopenhauer covered this false notion of children's literature in that false notions are hard to distill when planted early on and how its better to start on superior literature in the first place than garbage. Like Gulliver's travels instead of whatever the fuck "virgin suicides" is

>objectivity in art
kek

i am a phd english and i exclusively read goosebumps get at me

>>half the books assigned are pleb Y/A novels

And the other half are "ethnic" literature.

>tfw high school teacher wrote phd on Strindberg and Hegel
>tfw he exclusively dealt with great literature and authors, Joyce, Flaubert, Kierkegaard, Montaigne and Shakespeare
>tfw my curiosity and aptitude made me his philosophy protege
>tfw spent countless lunch breaks being taught one-on-one

>be high school
>read relatively acessible shit like Chekov and Dickens
>teacher makes fun of you in class and calls you pretentious
>she finally sternly tells you don't have to read difficult books to get her attention
>tfw one day she confiscates your copy of Moby-Dick and says "you're obviously not understanding much of the book so don't waste your time. I already told you you don't need to impress me"

rly?

in 5th grade my teacher told this timid little brilliant chinese girl that she doubted she had read TKAM despite the fact she clearly may have

i still feel bad about having witnessed that

>Getting cucked by your teacher

In america it matters where you move too. If you live with niggers and low property values, you get out what you put in. Euros might be surprised that schools are funded locally with "state assistance" in the US. Also, Massachusetts public schools just got ranked top in the world, so lets not be monolithic in our discussion.

t. living in a top 10 in state school system with a perfectly acceptable reading curriculum.

Shit that never happened

Dickens was considered elementary and middle school reading level when I was growing up.

I specifically remember Oliver Twist and Two Cities being summer reading in the fifth grade

What should he have done? Went on a verbal thesis rant to prove her wrong?

>Dickens was considered elementary and middle school

bullshit on elementary, but we read christmas carol and oliver twist in 8th grade

>teacher assigns book
>we listen to it on audio over the course of a month

>senior year
>ap english
>teacher gives no fucks and spends the whole year on critical deconstruction of short stories by allusion and metaphor
>read hundreds of short stories, mostly by avante-garde 70s types
>to fufil department requirements makes us do a project on shakespeare
>do shylock speech

Great class.

You didn't grow up in a shithole in the south then. Over here in the fifth grade we were reading straight up children's books for school.

I don't know if our English teacher even had any education in Literature and I have no idea how she even got that job. Everything to her that was over 500 pages she called pretentious and I'm pretty sure she hasn't read Dickens ever. Most of the time in class she just talked to the female students about pop stars or celebrities.

Sounds like you had a large amount melanin challenged individuals in your school district then

>central NH
>town that basically is all doctors and healthcare professionals that work in the poor town to the north
>PTA calls out principle for lowering standards in hs curriculum
>father gets dragged out by police because jodi picault was assigned to get girls into reading and has sex scene

unionleader.com/article/20140502/NEWS04/140509752&template=mobileart

YA literature offers something the students can relate to and helps peak their interest. Also, a lot of the English teachers I've met don't read a lot of canonical literature in their spare time. The current philosophy of education is that it should be interactive and multimodal in its approach, which is why you see so many teachers giving projects like this I don't doubt that there are plenty of teachers who would like to teach more intense work, but that's tough when the students simply aren't interested. I did my student teaching at a low-income school in Columbus, OH. I rarely gave homework because the students never did it, all reading was done in class, and writing assignments were extremely limited--and the district I taught in is not nearly as deprived of resources as other school in the US. Then again, I only taught general English classes, so the circumstances may have been different if I taught higher-level classes. idk tho