Read my books

Read my books.

Already did papa P

BECOME MEGUCA

All of them?

except for M&D, IV and ATD

I highly recommend Mason & Dixon, Inherent Vice, and Against the Day.

I will when ı free myself from the clutches of Their society and therefore have some goddamn spare time jesus christ who d'you gotta piss on for this shit to stop for a minute.

How does Against the Day stand against GR and M&D? Weakest of the three? I don't see it discussed as often on here; it's always Mason & Dixon, Gravity's Rainbow, or TCoL49.

I am Ruggles. Starting Vineland soon, once I've knocked that over I've only got V, Against the Day and Slow Learner left.

That doesn't include Letters (if you are Wanda) or pic related.

You did the Kenosha Kid?

>Volume 2 of The Optics Press collects all of the unauthorized editions of Pynchon's short stories and letters.

Isn't that illegal? Pynchon could probably sue you.

Why would he though? It is no different from having bootlegs of live band performances; as long as user doesn't try to make duplicates and sell them, no one will care because it's just not worth the effort to punish him.

Salinger cared.

Yeah, but Salinger was a jew.

> never

It's an unsung classic. The Black Sheep. Pynchon deluxe. Highly recommended.

Yeah that's how I feel about ATD too.

M&D is best though.

G.R. I read last.

I haven't read many of his small books. Just Inherent vice.

"Against the Day" is Pynchon's crowning masterwork.

t. Lindsey Noseworth

This opinion really seems to be picking up traction here.

If you're actually the Optics guy, what is Volume 3 gonna be?

I'm not the Optics guy. I just saved the picture.

Mason & Dixon has been too memed, so they're moving on to his other long, dry historical novel that up until now old men had read.

M&D is still his best. Doesn't mean that ATD isn't criminally underrated tho.

I don't get this. If nobody here has read it (which seems to be the case if you try and start a thread about it) how has it been too memed?

Thomas Pynchon was described by some friends and colleagues as racist. His friend Danny Felds, the American journalist who helped publish V, described him as "Nazi-esque", saying: "Every once in a while there'd be something about Jews and I'd be, 'But Tom, I'm Jewish,' and he was like 'Yes, yes, I don't mean you.' he had a definite Nordic Aryan streak, [the belief] that he was physically, spiritually and creatively superior", a view he appears to have continued to maintain throughout his later years. According to Felds, Pynchon once attacked a mixed-race woman in a restaurant with a smashed wineglass, saying "I hate black people". Controversy arose when Tom originally planned a chapter in Gravity's Rainbow with strong antisemitic views and was forced to retract it by his editor.

No, this worked better with DFW. Pynchon actually goes out of his way to be sympathetic to Jews in his novels.

Its existence itself is a meme. Even most of us who have literally read every single one of his other books have unread copies of Against the Day lying around (I know I do as seen in pic related).

Personally, I haven't gotten around to reading it because it'd feel too much like saying goodbye to one of my favorite authors.

>DUDE BANANAS LMAO

What did he mean by this

>Personally, I haven't gotten around to reading it because it'd feel too much like saying goodbye to one of my favorite authors.

Oh man, I hadn't even thought about that. With three books left to go I don't know what I'll do. Reread I guess.

I started Gravity's Rainbow two days ago and holy shit this book is terrific. I find each page, each little passage, every digression flooring me and I'm only page 61. Pynchon writes the dankest metaphors and is truly funny. I haven't really had a hard time understanding the references either.

Definitely not overrated. This book is godly. I'll admit it's a slow crawl and large time investment and I have pretty much this entire month to do nothing until my summer semester starts on the 27th. I plan on doing nothing but reading this.

This is where I just stopped. Slothrop's getting under the knife and the doctors are asking him about the "negroes". plan on jerking off, going to bed, and picking up right where I left off.

My favorite part thus far has been the description of Pirate's battle with the adenoid but the whole book has been a joy.

You're in for a wild ride user. When it gets tough, remember this post. Have you read any other Pynchon yet?

I just picked up bleeding edge because it was 5 bucks at the bookstore. the plot appeals to me more than any other of pynchon's books. should i start with this or the recommended crying of lot 49?

Nope, not yet. I tried to read The Crying of Lot 49 when I was 15 but it seemed impenetrable to me then. I understood none if it and got caught up trying to think there was super deep symbolism behind the weird names, now I see them as two-word poems that sort of give you a feeling about the character's personality.

I started with Inherent Vice. Start where you want, you'll end up at the same place in my opinion.

I don't think 15 year old me would have managed TCoL, despite being a heavy reader even then. Personally GR is my favorite Pynchon, although I haven't read them all.